close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

m&p 22 vs gsg 1911 22

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by win, May 20, 2012.

1. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    I got to hold and shoot a gsg 1911 22. I shoot mainly m&p's though. I am leaning towards the m&p. I know that extra mags for them are hard to get.
    Anyway I know its apple and oranges but what do you think of these .22's?

2. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    If you already have a M&P full size, the M&P 22 is the way to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

M&P 9mm target before acquiring a M&P 22 for affordable practice:

[​IMG]

M&P 9mm target after acquiring a M&P 22 and practicing with it. There are two groups, one on top one on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Both are roughly 3" square piece of cardboard, 2" Dot Sticker, 25ft, 115gr practice ammo. The M&P 22 makes for the perfect training companion for a full size M&P 9 or 40.

In my hands the M&P 22 holds 2" groups at 30 ft. IMO, that's perfectly fine for what I need it to for: a training analog for a M&P 9mm, and a fun plinker.

It has been 100% reliable with Winchester bulk and Federal bulk copper plated 36gr hollow points.

My Ruger MKIII 22/45RP inherently has more potential for accuracy. I can achieve .75" to 1" groups at 30ft.

While I have no issues field stripping & reassembling a Ruger MKIII, it does take a little more conscious effort to do. While I have fun shooting it, I don't look forward to cleaning it. Even though I am not as accurate with it, I find myself grabbing the M&P 22 for fun plinking because it's so darn easy to field strip & clean.

A basic field strip & reassemble is very easy. Cleaning is easy too. Here's a quick video I uploaded.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx6WOtIzgJU"]Field strip and reassembly of a S&W M&P 22 pistol. - YouTube[/ame]

My two gripes with the M&P 22:

1. S&W only issues one magazine with it. Magazines can be difficult to locate. I'm waiting for S&W's online store to get restocked. I ordered & received an extra magazine a couple weeks ago. I should have ordered 3.

2. The M&P 22 has a front dot, rear notch sight set up. I prefer the 3-dot set up on the M&P full size pistol. The M&P 22's slide is aluminum. S&W technician told me not to install a M&P 9's rear sight onto the M&P 22 because the M&P 9's rear sight is steel and will damage the M&P 22's aluminum slide. S&W does not have any replacement 2-dot rear sights for the M&P 22.

I don't own a GSG 1911-22. I've shot a magazine through a friend's. It's a nice .22lr pistol. Eventually, I want one for a training analog for my Ruger SR1911.

Last edited: May 20, 2012

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Since I prefer 1911s, that's the style I would go with. YMMV

4. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL

You prefer 1911's?!? :shocked: I had no idea. ;)

5. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    you have a SR1911!!!!! cool
    What is the dovetails on the gsg? will novak sights work on the gsg?
    Is their any other sight choices for the m&p?
    thanks again

6. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Yup. I own the elusive SR1911. I was on a wait list for a few months, but not as long as others.

[​IMG]

I bought it because it is my opinion that as an American, it is a moral imperative to own at least one 1911. I really don't feel any urge to buy another 1911.

It's fun to shoot. Runs like a champ. I just don't shoot it often due to the cost of .45ACP ammo. Heck, I gripe enough about the cost of 9mm.

Some M&P 22 owners have received 2-dot rear sights for a M&P 9 from S&W customer service. They report that the swap can be done. The only thing lost is elevation adjustment on the rear sight.

Because the M&P 22 has an aluminum slide, I'm not taking the risk of putting on a steel M&P 9 rear sight. I want a 2-dot rear sight, but not bad enough to potentially damage my firearm.

I haven't found any replacement rear sights for the M&P 22.

It's not that the sight set up is bad, it's just that I prefer a 3-dot.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  7. win

win

Jun 30, 2001
    Hoxie, ks
    I would be ok with the 2 dot set up. I like it on my sig's and kahr.
    Why would steel sight damage the slide?
    thanks again

8. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    The slide is aluminum. Aluminum is softer than steel.

9. ponchsox

ponchsox

Apr 23, 2012

44mag.com has M&P22 mags in stock now.

10. jeanderson

jeanderson Toga!... Toga! Platinum Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :cool: I've been looking all around for an extra mag for my M&P 22 - just ordered one. My only gripe with this gun was the fact that it only came with the one mag.

11. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

Aug 21, 2010
    NW Burbs, IL
    Thank you sir!

12. wdp

wdp

Dec 27, 2011
    Twin Tiers, NY
    I just purchased a M&P 22 yesterday. Will have it early next week after I get purchase document. Never had a S&W M&P and I shoot both Glocks and 1911's. I hope I'm impressed with the shooting as much as the construction. This gun appears to be top notch engineered. It looks like a striker fired pistol but it's not. Guess that's why there's a thumb safety. I'm a bit concerned about extra mags availability. IMO Smith should have supplied 2 mags with the gun. Will post a range report soon......

13. GWG19

GWG19

Jan 28, 2012
    Huntsville Al
    I have a GSG 1911. Also a SR1911.
    Back to the GSG.
    I put about 500 rounds through it and it broke. The Magazine safety gave up the ghost. Also in working while it was messed up I broke the thumb safety. It was exchanged for a new gun.
    The second GSG.
    I took the mag safety out. I hated that thing so I fixed said problem.
    I have plans to replace the main spring housing with a flat one and also see it I can get a ambi safety that is steel to work in the gun.
    So far no problems shooting it.