close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

M&P 15 jamming?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by dale mcminnis, Dec 28, 2010.

1. dale mcminnis

dale mcminnis

Aug 5, 2006
    na
    Hey guys I'm having a problem with my M&P15.The last couple of time I've shot my M&P15 every few shots either the bolt does'nt pick up a round out of the magazine,or the bolt won't close,and the round,and bolt sticks as the round is going into the chamber.I asked a guy at work who has quite a bit more expirence with AR's said the chamber is dirty sence then I've bought a chamber brush.On a side note I have been shoting some pretty cheap,and probably dirty ammo(I'm on a limited budget,also the magazines are Brownells)So the question is if the chamber is dirty the last time I shot,and it did this I used the chamber brush how do you get enough movement on the chamber brush to clean the chamber?Any,and all help would be very much apprieciated.P.S.I got a new Millet DMS-1 for Christmas seems to be a great scope foe the money.Thanks Dale.

2. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    Four things come to mind. Clean the chamber by rotating/twisting the chamber brush in the chamber. Try different magazines and make sure the firing pin retaining pin is not installed backwards. It goes in left to right as the bolt is facing away from you. Make sure you lube the bolt.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

3. Chuche2

Chuche2

Sep 30, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Lube it good. They run well wet. The last few years at Camp Perry a lot of the competitors wre using Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil on their rifles.

4. dale mcminnis

dale mcminnis

Aug 5, 2006
    na
    This may be a wus question,but how do you rotate the chamber brush:dunno:?I can't get good enough grip on the cleaning rod.Thanks Dale.

5. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    I have an old section of rod with fix T on it. If you have an old section of cleaning rod why not try hooking a set of vice grips to it. Cleaning the chamber should not require a lot of force, go easy.

6. dale mcminnis

dale mcminnis

Aug 5, 2006
    na
    I think I am running it pretty wet.I will increase the lube.Thanks Dale.

7. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

Mar 1, 2004
    Benton Harbor, MI
    Sounds like it's time for a thorough cleaning. You should disassemble your BCG and clean it, clean the bore, chamber, locking lug area, inside your upper & lower. Then lube with some synthetic motor oil.

Also, grab a PMag or three, and see if that helps.

How many rounds since you last did a complete cleaning? What kind of ammo?

8. dale mcminnis

dale mcminnis

Aug 5, 2006
    na
    Thanks I'll impovize.Dale.

9. dale mcminnis

dale mcminnis

Aug 5, 2006
    na
    I clean the gun after every range visit all the way down to taking the bolt apart cleaning,and lubing,but I shot about 600 rounds thru it without cleaning the chamber properly I'm new to AR's and I just did'nt think about it.:dunno:

10. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

Mar 1, 2004
    Benton Harbor, MI
    I'd be interested to hear if cleaning the chamber fixes things for you. The only thing I use for the chamber/bore is a bore snake, and I have never noticed the chamber on my rifle being that dirty.

11. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    It's not a problem with cleaning. AR's do not need to be cleaned all that much. A dirty chamber is fine for a while & should function just fine. It's either, lack of lube, mags or ammo.
    What ammo are you using?

12. dale mcminnis

dale mcminnis

Aug 5, 2006
    na
    Rite now silverbear:faint:.

13. dale mcminnis

dale mcminnis

Aug 5, 2006
    na
    Thanks for the great ideas guys still accept any more ya'll have.I'm cleaning it as we speek.Do ya'll lube bolt carier bolt everything?I will be using Triflow with teflon.Thanks Dale.

14. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

Mar 1, 2004
    Benton Harbor, MI
    You should give some high-quality Synthetic oil a try. A major benefit is that due to the additives in them, cleaning is beyond a breeze. Oils like that are all about stopping carbon deposits, and lubricate like nothing else I've used.

I myself do lube up my BCG inside and out while assembling, lightly.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Dale'

Take a piece of cleaning rod, placed it in a vice.
    Leave about 2 inches above the vice.
    Heated with a torch, if you have one available, if not use a hammer.
    Bend it to a 90 degree angle, this will gave a cheap handle.

16. dale mcminnis

dale mcminnis

Aug 5, 2006
    na
    Thankyou sounds like a great idea.

17. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Lube. Lots. Carbines, like women, run better wet.

Better ammo, good magazines. Brownells has the USGI contact at the moment so they're not bad, but try others (MagPul PMags, which are also issued now) because that particular mag may be bad.

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Don't over lube it for crying out loud. Save "dripping wet" for other endeavors :)

19. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    It's damn near impossible to overlube an AR. It is very easy to underlube it.

20. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    I agree with whats been said so far. I would suggest not using teflon as a lube. It tends to buildup over time making things tight! Silver Bear is poly coated ammo. Is a dirty burning ammo. Give it a good scrubiing including the chamber! Lube it up with a good lube like Mobil 1 I use 5w30 oil myself! Try it and see if your problem goes away! If not get a new/different mag! If you still have a problem -try different ammo! Seeing your gun is fairly new it should have M4 feed ramps so that should not be an issue!:supergrin: