LWD Stainless Steel Guide Rod & Recoil Spring for G22

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by SGT278ACR, Feb 15, 2013.

1. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

Just ordered a new LWD Stainless Steel guide rod & recoil spring for my 2nd gen G22 from Sportsman's Guide to replace my original stock one. Has anyone else replaced their guide rod & spring with a steel or tungsten one? Better performance? Would love some feedback. Thanks. :wavey:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Glock Stainless Steel Recoil Guide Rod Spring Assembly General Glocking Aug 24, 2015
    Stainless steel pots and pans....any recommendations? The Okie Corral Aug 23, 2015
    Stainless steel Glock 17 slide Gun Parts & Accessories Aug 16, 2015
    Stainless Steel Vs Treated General Firearms Forum Aug 5, 2015
    Deus Ex Machina stainless steel match grade barrel and Gunfighter trigger review General Glocking Jul 28, 2015

3. while i dont thing there is any ground breaking advantage. i do believe that you can find springs and rods of better materiel and higher quality performance in the after market world. will it make your weapon or yourself shoot better........probably not. will your RSA last longer ...maybe.

i am a bit of a spring snob. i like a an over engerniered spring, like CS springs.
    the real question for you is .... whose spring is LWD using? whAT materials were used? what is the spring rating and is it an appropriate rating for your particular weapon/ammo set up?

i am sort of in the same boat...... here is my thread on a similar subject. check it out.......

#2 kenndapp, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. I use to change all my RSA out with stainless steel ones. I don't anymore because there really is no difference in them, expect the price.
  5. AK47Man

AK47Man Expert Marksman

I have a captured SS RSA I got from Lone Wolf in my Gen 3 G22..They are made by Lightning Strike..I have them in ALL my Glocks...AWESOME product..!!
    #4 AK47Man, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  6. M 7

M 7

Got stainless steel rods in all of my Glocks- the extra forward weight is nice and they've yet to wear out. They're also non-captive so changing out springs is a breeze.
  7. Elimination a possible failure is always a good move. All 19 of my Glocks have stainless rods and I dont feel any weight difference but you might with Tungston. You will never wear out a stainless ro, it wont break and spring weight is very easily changed to suit your needs, I'm not slamming the factory polymer rod because most do hold up quite good but they haav broken simply from improper installation. Stainless rod cant do that. Again, Good move, BUT to each their own....:cool:
  8. SGT278ACR

This one I ordered from Sportsman's Guide said it comes with standard Glock tension in the spring (17 pounds), but is adjustable for personal preference. My G22 is a 2nd gen I got used as a Police trade-in. Made in '97. I'm replacing the guide rod simply because of the age and wear. Keeping the original factory one as a back up just in case the after-market one doesn't work well when I shoot 9mm out of it with my 40-9 conversion barrel. Not expecting any problems... but is always good to have spare back-up parts. Will post a range report after I go to the range Friday. Will be using 3 different brands & different grains of .40 & 2 different brands of 9mm. Will see how she does.
    #7 SGT278ACR, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  9. SGT278ACR

Well... took the G22 to the range yesterday with the new LWD stainless guide rod & spring assembly. I've heard conflicting stories about them. I have to say... I'm now buying the "improved accuracy" bit. My G22 has always fired left & high (fixed sights). With the new guide rod & spring I was putting the rounds dead center consistently. I now believe the polymer guide rod "flex" theory to be true. Anyway... to each his own... for me, it was worth the $25+ investment. Worked well with both .40 & 9mm (LWD 40-9 conversion barrel).
  10. I only have them in my "play" guns. I like the extra forward weight and ability to change spring weights to match my loads. I use the Wolff uncaptured guiderod and springs.
  11. This is NOT a theory, lock your slide back with the stock polymer rod in it and look at it curling up in the air. It does flex, just the nature of the beast. In my opinion any stainless rod is an improvement simply because it can't break. Eliminating a potential problem in a carry pistol or any other for that matter is a definate +.