close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

LW 10mm barrel giving constant FTF.

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by CPatt44, Sep 10, 2012.

1. CPatt44

CPatt44

Jul 5, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I just acquired an G20SF from a forum member. Bought a Lone Wolf threaded barrel for it. Put it in and loaded the mags with Underwood 165gr GD's. inserted the mag and pulled the slide back to chamber a round. Let slide go at the pulled back apex to allow it to return to battery, didn't' ride the slide forward at all. Not one round fed properly. Every round caught on entering the tighter chamber. Eventually was able to properly chamber a round by tapping the mag into a higher seating. This only helped occasionally though.

Tried the other mag and had the same FTF. Have some new mags on the way, but I believe this is an issue with the barrel. Does anybody agree with me? Or could be bad mags.

Looking for some help folks. Thanks in advance.

Shoot straight and stay safe.

2. G29SFWTF

G29SFWTF

Aug 3, 2012
    I don't have a Lone Wolf but do have a KKM drop in for my G29SF and have never had a barrel related jam with Underwood. The chamber is clearly tighter than a factor barrel but I don't have a way to measure it.

I've shot 100 rounds of 135gr Nosler JHP

50 rounds of 165gr Speer Bonded JHP

50 rounds of 155gr flat nose Speer TMJ

I have a 23lb recoil spring fwiw but you shouldn't need one just to chamber a round.

So does the factory barrel feed properly?

3. CPatt44

CPatt44

Jul 5, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The factory barrel is feeding properly. I also do have a 20lb recoil spring on order and will try that also.

Shoot straight and stay safe.

4. Ethereal Killer

Ethereal Killer

Aug 24, 2011
    I have seen differences with the new style mags and older mags, but usually the newer mags wont seat as deep and the older ones can give me malfs if I push them in to far.

You might try polishing the feed ramp and chamber with a polishing compound and dremel felt bullet. that did wonders for me on a tight chamber.

5. Ramjet-SS

Ramjet-SS

Sep 14, 2011
    N.E. Wisconsin
    I had the same issue but what I found is the chamber is tight and taper crimp helped my hand loads allot also the 10 round mags work just fine but higher capacity gave me trouble. Also I lapped the slid with 1200 grit al oxide lapping compound yup really fine but you cannot screw up and take too much that way. Since I did some of this work the gun functions great Imalso have the stainless rod and 20 lb spring. This barrel and gun shoots one ragged hole it is amazing.

6. Meathead9

Meathead9

Aug 23, 2009
    The PRK
    Have you contacted LWD? I'm not a huge fan of their products, but they are very helpful if you give them a chance. They have pretty good CS. LWD barrels are known for tight/short chambers & razor sharp feedramp/chamber ledge. The ledge can be polished easily, but if your chamber is too short, it will need to be finish reamed to fit your ammo.

Take your barrel out, and see if those rounds will drop into the chamber & pass the "plunk" test. Do they sit flush or slightly below with the barrel hood? If not, the chamber is probably too short. If they drop in properly, the feedramp/chamber mouth is too tight.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  7. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    This^^^^^^^^^

If any, or all of this testing fails, send it back! Lone Wolf will correct any problem.

You said the factory barrel runs fine, so it must be something wrong with the LW barrel!

8. seed

seed

Aug 3, 2004
    I had the same problem with my Lone Wolf standard size G20 barrel (with 22# Wolff recoil spring and steel rod). My Reed's ammo fed well, although not 100%. Years ago, my Double Tap had similar results with only the 135 grain Nosler JHP's being 100%. Hornady 180 grain XTP's had slightly less reliability than the other DT's. By far though, Underwood was the most problematic with multiple FTF's.

Considering the fact that Underwood is by far the most available and affordable 10mm ammo out there right now and that KKM's reportedly feed them without widespread reports of problems, I ordered one. I have yet to test it out, but I will report my results when I do.

By the way, the Underwood ammo I tested with the LW barrel was 165 and 155 FMJ's. It appeared that like others here have said, the transition from ramp to chamber is too sharp. I may try to fix my LW barrel one day, but I will not regret my KKM purchase no matter what...if it works.

9. Ramjet-SS

Ramjet-SS

Sep 14, 2011
    N.E. Wisconsin
    The tight chamber has some great attributes but also a varitable pain the you know what.

10. Are you guys running these aftermarket barrels for self defense or is this a function of reloads and lead, etc?

11. Ramjet-SS

Ramjet-SS

Sep 14, 2011
    N.E. Wisconsin
    Nope not me standard issue and commercial SD ammo.

Aftermarket and handloads = hunting only.

12. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    My G20, for the most part is for hunting, and range fun. Of the 2K ran through my G20, all, but a couple of magazines through it have been with one of the two LW barrels I have, or had. Never a fail to, of any kind with after market barrels. If I were to carry the 20, I would probably use the factory barrel, but from my experience wouldn't hesitate using the LW barrel. Having a G29, bumped the 20 for carry. Not sure why. Oh wait now I do! If I carried the G20, there would be no real use for the 29, so each has it's purpose!:cool:

13. Understood... My g20 sf is on the way... I plan on shooting mostly nuclear type stuff through it (underwood, etc).

I'm hopeful I can carry it (I carry g 23 with no issue all the time but the 20 is of course much large), so I was just curious.....

15. orangeride

orangeride

Oct 19, 2011
    Fresh mag springs might help. I have a LW 40 conversion in my 20 that I use for matches and plinking. I have a 155gr RNLSWC load that can be very sensitive to OAL causeing ftfeed. I noticed if I tapped the bottom of the mag the round would go in. I installed new springs and that cured 90% of my problems. I also adjusted my OAL and crimp. Now it's 100% I actually think the mag springs where a bandaid because they feed fine with all my other loads including my 10mm 135's at 1500fps.

16. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Compared to the 23, which I also carried, for a while, the biggest difference, to me any way, wasn't so much the size, as it was the weight. Don't get me wrong, the size difference is noticeable, but the slide mass, is even more so. The other thing I like about the G29, over the G20 for carry is I can get away with just a T-shirt to hide the little brother. The G20 needs a separate cover garment. I will say this though, if I could only have one, it would be the G20. But as luck would have it, I don't need to have one, so I have two of each!:supergrin:

17. dryfly

dryfly Platinum Member

Nov 25, 2009
    White Mountains NH
    ^^^ This.
    I to had problems with a LW barrel in my 20sf. I was shooting BB and SF ammo at the time. Put the stock back in and stayed with it.

18. I hope I can swing it :dunno:

19. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    Just make your mind up you'll do whatever it takes! There is no better caliber to carry, and no better firearm to deliver that caliber! That old saying " a carry weapon doesn't need to be comfortable, but comforting"! There is no better comfort than carrying a G20! Once you get some practice time with the G20, you will be very, very, pleased. If I were only allowed one handgun, hands down, without deliberation, my choice would be a G20!