close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

lubing carbide dies

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by fkenyon, Dec 23, 2009.

1. fkenyon

fkenyon

Jul 7, 2009
    Do you guys EVER lube your pistol brass? Seems like an occasional lube (every 200 rnds or so) would be good. Then again, lube attracts dirt.

Just wondering...

2. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    I don't but there are a lot of people that do. To me it is a waste of time because the lube has to be cleaned off after. I think most of the people that do load on a progressive where they have 4 or 5 things happening at the same time. I load on a Lee classic turret and it doesn't make much difference.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Many guys do, for the most part I don't. I will lube the longer magnum cases, just makes sizing easier. On service rounds, almost never, unless I have an issue w/ a certain brand of brass being difficult. It does smooth things out quite a bit, but then why spend fo rthe carbide dies, just lube & use steel dies.

4. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    I do not on my carbide dies on a 550. I figure like Fred said. Why buy carbide if you are going to lube? I do lube all rifle cases, even when neck sizing.

5. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    All the time... use Horandy One Shot... no not necessary... carbide dies on my SDB... but makes a big difference in the amount of effort required to manipulate the press. Easier on the equipment and the operator too.

6. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

May 22, 2002
    Hornady One Shot always.

One can lasts a long time and makes things a lot easier.

Cant hurt, might help...

7. 8Ring

8Ring

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver
    Before decapping and priming brass, I take about 20 cleaned cases, turn them upside down on a piece of newspaper or old towel, and squirt one side with case lube. I start the process with one or two of these partially lubed cases, then use a partially lubed one every 5th case or when it feels like friction is building up. This keeps the carbide dies smooth and reduces the effort needed to resize cases.

Turning the cases upside down keeps the lube from getting inside.

Chris

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    HOS all the time, really makes a progressive press run.

9. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law

Nov 1, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    I use the trick of HOS sprayed in a baggie and works like a champ. Makes everything run much smoother. As far as cleaning the dies......have yet to do so and it's been nearly 2 years.

10. I didnt use to lube with my carbide dies but I do now only for magnum cases, as mentioned it is much easier.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I use Lee's Lube. Mix a entire tube with a 16oz bottle of 99% alcohol. It's very hard to mix but then I put it in a spray bottle. I spray a big zip lock bag a couple times at the most and dump in the brass. It drys nearly immediately. Never feels oily. Makes longer sessions at the press much nicer. I spend about $2 a year at the most with this stuff so it's worth it to me.

12. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    Can you still drink the shine with the lube mixed in? :supergrin:

13. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    With carbide pistol caliber dies, you don't have you lube, but if you've never tried it, you should. On my RL550B, it makes a huge difference in the amount of effort it takes to resize 9mm. I use a little lanolin on my thumb and finger and generally don't do anything to remove it.

14. RLDS45S

RLDS45S

Jun 8, 2003
    MN
    Here is my experience......I like to polish my brass in Iosso laced corn cob media. This seems to make the cases slicker....In combination with Redding Titanium Pro Series Dies makes 45ACP fly thru loading on the 550. Now, with 9mm I lube up a case with Imperia Die Wax about every 15 or so with Dillon Carbide dies make things work qutie well. I will spritz DCL on 44 Magnums using Redding Titanium Dies this just smoothes out the loading process. A fellow I know who loads just about anything pistol on Super 1050 and he uses HOS to spritz all calibers when loading.....

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    If you don't mind going blind you can drink it.:shocked:

16. RLDS45S

RLDS45S

Jun 8, 2003
    MN
    Yepper Rusty that would work out to be 198 Proof! Can We Say Methyl Alcohol Poisoning?

But you may like the treatment
    Wikipedia says:

17. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    So if you're going to drink your lube, use pure ethanol. BTW, I bet Steve's using Isopropyl, not Methanol. That's what's typically sold as alcohol in the store.

18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    My favorite alcoholic beverage is old brake fluid, filtered thru old socks and left to ferment in the sun. Tasty.

19. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    Sorry bad joke. I didn't realize nobody would know what moonshine was. It's popular around here and you won't go blind drinking it.

20. I lube the threads on the out side body of the die where you screw it into the press and the bullet plunger seater thingy do dad theads. other wise I've never lubed any of my carbide dies.

Carbie is so hard that it doesnt require lubing is what i was told. And if I did feel the need to lube the indoe of the die to use graphite powder.... or a dry lube

Alex