close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lube or not to lube

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bueshy, Jun 19, 2012.

1. bueshy

bueshy

while on my days off from work i took my G21 to a local gunsmith that i had never been to before to have him install a rear sight. after he installed the sight he told me that i needed to grease the hell out of it and that if it were his he would have so much that it would create a membrane and cover the barrel so no wear would occur and blah blah. any truth to this?

2. JBS

JBS

Find a new Smith.

3. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Was the install done correctly? Any marring to the surface of the sight? If not, throw that other information in the recycling bin.

4. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

+1 on that.
    guy sounds like a dingle

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Yeah.... bad advice.

Some people use a thin grease for the rails, maybe between the connector and trigger bar. Brian Enos sells "Slide Glide" that several people I know use.

Charlie Vanek (of Vanek triggers) uses it as well. I bought his trigger kit way back, it had some Slide Glide between connector and trigger bar.

I tend to use a light oil. I certainly wouldn't be "greasing the hell out of it" for sure.

6. GThirtyTwo

GThirtyTwo Amor patriae

Grease is great for slide rails on weapons with steel slides and aluminum frames, like CZ's and Sig's, etc. A Glock requires little to no lubrication and excessive lube can actually cause problems.

Sounds like he doesn't really know what he is talking about.

7. sciolist

sciolist

A lighter oil is better. I use a light coat on the barrel of my match pistol, but it gets cleaned frequently, and is not sitting around collecting dirt and lint.

Charlie uses Slide Glide Lite, and cuts it 50/50 with oil for his triggers. Even that can be a tad thick for the connector. Just a very light coat of oil works best there for me, and I only oil the connector when I break down the lower. "Drizzling" oil down there at each field strip just makes a big mess, and is totally unnecessary.

I used Slide Glide Lite on the rails for a while, but went back to oil. Especially in winter, the gun runs better.

For a carry gun, it can be damn near dry. Just the thinnest film on the connector, a touch on the rails (needle oiler in slide grooves) and small amount on the barrel contact points.

8. Reswob

Reswob

So much lube you 'create a membrane' over the whole thing?? That guy doesn't know jack about Glocks, and I would triple check to see if that sight was installed correctly.

Mine gets the standard 6 drops of oil every cleaning. I tend not to buy guns that need to be dripping with lube to function properly.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  9. GaryC

GaryC

10. Glock Junkie

Glock Junkie

i put one drop on each rail and stand it up to let run down then q tip excess away. 1/2 drop on connector and 1 drop on barrel and wipe it across barrel and barrel lugs with bare finger. I am by no means an expert, but I feel this is plenty of oil for my Glocks. :supergrin:

11. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

You're more of an expert than this gunsmith, that much we know.

I lube as described above and put a dab (very, very little) grease on the rail sections of my frame. That's it. Tens of thousands of rounds through my Glocks later---no abnormal wear of any kind.

12. 1911austin

1911austin Senior Member

One drop on the frame, two on the barrel and three on the slide. My Glocks get either Weapon Shield or Ballistol, but any gun oil/CLP wil do.

13. SJ 40

SJ 40

I wouldn't have let his door hit me in the backside and never would I darken his door ever again. SJ 40

14. Prryan45

Prryan45

Insane in the membrane.

15. cciman

cciman

Gunsmiths tend to have the most experience with 1911's, older guns...guns that need the most smithing. Other than sight installs, most rarely see a Glock.

Humans are prone to dogma, superstition, religion and unfounded beliefs. Glock armorers suffer the same weakness, and have espoused equally weak opinions.

Unlikely for his advice to have any negative consequence, but does not apply to Glocks. Maybe he is thinking that "seasoning" of cast iron cookware might help with guns.

16. Armedleprechaun

Armedleprechaun

Insane in the brain!! lol Just lube the six areas with a little bit of high quality oil. That smith is most likely a chairborne ranger or mall ninja. Happy shooting! :mallninja:

17. alexhartang

alexhartang

Insane, got no brain!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

I don't use oil or grease in any of my carry guns. I much prefer a quality dry lube (Hornady's One Shot) or a quality silicone spray (CRC Heavy Duty). The reason is that oil and grease attract dirt and link and I don't want that in any of my carry guns. The Glock is so friendly to very light lubrication of any kind that it is a natural for these "lubricants".

19. bueshy

bueshy

lol thanks for the early morning laughs. when he told me i needed to grease it up alot i actually laughed cuz i thought he was joking and he just kind of looked at me with a dumb look and i was like wait you arent joking? lol but he had my curiosity peaked at that point.

and yes the sight was installed correctly as i went and shot right afterwards and all was well. he used a clamp type installation to drift the sights in and out. no hammering or scuffs on the sight at all

thanks for all the replies guys

i will continue to grease the 6 points like i usually do and call it a day

20. HenryinFlorida

HenryinFlorida

I use CLP and Balistrol to clean all my guns. I wipe clean and then I use a few drops of oil in those wear area's like slide and barrel.
    The only exception to this process in with my AR15. I keep that pretty wet while shooting, then clean it like all my others. Then, just before taking it out again I let her have it again.