close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lube Lesson Learned

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by robotoid, Jan 12, 2013.

1. robotoid

robotoid

Jun 11, 2006
    MichiGUN
    So, I was fixing a kitchen faucet and had to buy and use this waterproof silicone grease. I found it was quite slick to the touch and at the same time kinda sticky/stringy to stay in place. A while later, I had my newest Glock apart for its .25 cent trigger job and parts upgrades and thought, I'll try that faucet lube on this. Aparrently the sticky outweighs the slick in small parts (striker safety plunger and trigger connector). Worst trigger pull ever. Cleaned off silicone lube with alcohol and went back to my usual white lithium grease and trigger is perfect. Lesson learned, stick with what you know works.

2. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Jul 24, 2010
    The Northwoods
    Or don't put things not designed for firearms in/on firearms...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    Glock recommends in the owner's and armorer's manual that only gun oil be used to lubricate their pistols- running with grease is unnecessary and, as you have found, may create 'issues'.

4. RPVG

RPVG

Oct 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    What he ^^ said!

5. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    There is nothing wrong with using the right type of grease in the right amount in the right places. He used some type of plumbing grease.

I use a very light coating of grease on the slide rails (because it stays) and a few drops of oil in a few other places. NEVER had a problem.

4Rescue likes this.
  6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Never place any oil or lube on the striker safety.

7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    :upeyes: Nothing personal, but, ....... Like I've never heard that one before! I've been lubricating my Glock slide rails with Sentry Solution's, 'Hi-Slip' grease for the past 10 years, and (What?) 30 or 40 thousand rounds. NEVER A PROBLEM!

Besides, what's Smyrna know? Glock can't even fix their BTF extractor problems; and, now, they're going to tell me how to lubricate one of their cheap plastic pistols? Like I can't figure that out for myself. :freak:

4Rescue likes this.
  8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL

Which version of the Armorer's Manual? Page 78 of the 2010 edition - "Using a quality gun oil or grease product, lightly lubricate the barrel, barrel hood..."

4Rescue likes this.
  9. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    Well, here's a news flash- "plumbing grease" isn't the "right type of grease".

10. trigger19isbest

trigger19isbest

Mar 6, 2009
    Eastern NC
    If I err when lubricating my Glock, I'll always err on the "too much" side. I haven't wore a pistol out yet.

11. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    Says the same thing in my 2011 edition of the manual so it's obviously been revised recently, but I don't believe that Glock had any intention of recommending plumbing grease.

The 1992 armorer's manual says "oil only" on page 20 and the the 2002 armorer's manual says "oil only" on page 16- if they've changed the wording, it is hardly worth arguing since no recommendation is made for using plumbing grease or some other expedient.

12. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    :upeyes: Nothing personal, but Sentry gun grease is a whole lot more suitable for the task of gun lubrication than some random "plumbing grease" with unknown properties- confusing the two as being equally suitable for gun lubrication indicates that the folks at Smyrna likely have a more informed opinion than you.

The folks at Glock say a gun-specific oil or gun-specific grease is fine, I'll take their word for it.

An anonymous recommendation for using "plumbing grease"? Eh, not so much. :wavey:

13. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    :rofl::rofl::rofl: SJ 40

14. rdunk

rdunk

Dec 13, 2012
    Texas
    Well, I just became a Glock owner AGAIN recently, so, I had occasion to look at the manual that came with my new 32c. `On page 46, there is a section titled, "Lubricating The Field Stripped Pistol". It does refer to "using quality gun oil". In a figure pic, it also shows the places on the pistol that need to be lubed.

The Glock manual says, "use a clean patch that has been dampened with quality gun oil. Wipe the outside of the barrel, including the barrel hood and lugs, the inside top of the slide forward of the ejection port where the barrel hood rubs against the slide and the opening that the barrel slides through in front of the slide. One drop of oil should be spread along the entire width of each slide rail cut. Most importantly, a drop of oil is needed where the rear end of the trigger bar touches the connector at the right rear of the frame.

This will assure proper lubrication of your Glock pistol without over-lubricating. Glock pistols are designed to operate properly with only small amounts of lubrication.

WARNING: Do not put oil inside firing pin channel or magazine (inside and out) and breech face should be wiped dry before reassembly. Leaving solvent or lubricant in these areas could cause contamination of primers and failure to fire."

So...............that is what Glock says in their manual to gun owners about lubrication. I am sure that most here have been cleaning and lubricating their guns long enough to not even need a manual, to know what is the right way to do it. But, it is good that Glock speaks to it directly in the manuals, for new owners.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  15. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    Yes, that was exactly my point, if it wasn't clear. Plumbing grease is NOT the right type of grease to use. Thank you for agreeing with me.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    4Rescue likes this.
  16. gregw

gregw

Sep 15, 2004
    KY
    A firearms instructor once told me to never use grease on a gun unless the manual says to use it.

17. M 7

M 7

May 22, 2012
    It wasn't clear. Thank you for taking the time to state your position more clearly.

18. RRP

RRP

Oct 28, 2012
    I bought two new Glocks in the last week. The slide rails on both were lubed with copper grease.

4Rescue likes this.
  19. RPVG

RPVG

Oct 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    That's how they come from Glock.

20. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    So the plumbing grease didn't work..

Big deal. He cleaned it off and went back to something that does.

If nobody ever tried anything different, we'd never have anything new...

4Rescue likes this.