close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Lube for AR's

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by 8th SPS USAF, Feb 23, 2011.

1. 8th SPS USAF

8th SPS USAF

Apr 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Question: What do you all use for lubing your AR's/ Some LEO friends
    said grease. I use the Trans /Oil mix. Thanks

2. surf

surf

Jul 7, 2010
    CLP mostly. I will treat new parts on a new build with Miltec and then use clp as needed for normal use. I use grease sparingly as it likes to attract a lot of dirt and I tend to roll around a lot with my weapons. If I am going to store one for a period of time I like to use a grease.

Now many of my high end 1911 type pistols and bolt rifles tend to get a good white grease as it is an excellent lube and stays put or doesn't run. But it isn't cheap either.

3. I really like MPro7 LPX, but Slip EWL, Weapon's Shield, and Militec have worked just as well for me in the past.

Not to cut into Surf's input, but CLP has never worked well for me. I have tried Break Free and other brands and the product typically evaporates much sooner than later. As I have heard people with much more experience than myself say; "CLP is a cleaner, lubricant, and provides protection against rust. It does all three of these things, but doesn't do any one very well.".

4. mstennes

mstennes

Nov 25, 2010
    SLIP, I have used a very, very small amount of teflon wheel bearing grease before, and to be honest, it worked friggen amazing, never did burn off

5. surf

surf

Jul 7, 2010
    I mostly use the Break Free version of CLP because it is supplied and works well. We also purchase Miltec lube and Miltec grease. I mostly use the Break Free as it is supplied. I find that in a good day of shooting 600-800 round range, I will lube up twice in the day with Break Free. The Miltec is a great lube but it is a dry lube and evaporates or burns off quickly. I really don't like the Miltec for corrosion resistance as it dries up too fast. I can clean and lube up a rifle with Miltec, put the rifle in the safe and a week later it will be dry. I need to lube at least 3-4 times / day when shooting with Miltec. High temp wheel bearing grease lasts a long time but gums up quickly when a lot of dirt / debris and carbon is introduced. It stays put and works well if you can keep the weapon clean.

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I usually use Slip2000, but have been known to use Mobil 1 and a few other automotive lubes without a problem.

7. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Oct 1, 2003
    SC
    I use Tetra Grease on the lugs and Mobil 1 everywhere else on rifles. Get yourself one of those oiler bottles from Dewey and you'll be good to go.

I do keep a can of Breakfree CLP in my range bag mostly to blast away dirt that may get in the action.

I went through a period where I liked Lubriplate SynXtreme HD 0 (NLGI-0) on firearms, but it's quite pricy and the Tetra works well.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  8. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    What you use isn’t important. What matters is using enough. In other words, keeping the BCG wet. Breakfree CLP has been fine for me. For a cheap lube that works well, synthetic motor oil is hard to beat.

9. tx787

tx787

Feb 11, 2010
    I use CLP on all firearms, never had a problem.

10. steve1911

steve1911

Jul 12, 2004
    oregon
  11. poodleshooter1

poodleshooter1

May 3, 2005
    this...

12. thisaway

thisaway Moderator

Jan 11, 2000
    Soddy Daisy, Tenn.
    I got this formula off of m4carbine.net:

9 oz. Hoppe's No.9
    1 qt. STP Oil Treatment
    1 qt. Mobil 1 10w30 Synthetic automotive oil (I deviated here, and used 20w50 Mobil 1 instead)
    1 qt. automatic transmission fluid

Obviously, it makes over 3/4 gallon of a reddish gooey mix. Shake it up [very] well, and squirt liberally on the BCG. It takes a while to go through it all, and it's relatively cheap for the large amount you can make.

13. DD26

DD26 Anti-Anti

Jun 24, 2009
    South Carolina
    I've only used CLP and Weapon Shield. They've worked fine for me.

14. thunderbat

thunderbat

Sep 5, 2006
    OH
    +1 on the militec. Follow their procedure, the stuff works!

15. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    I have used CLP almost exclusively and see no reason to change that. Works great for me.