close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

LRN issue in G30

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by FLSlim, Aug 26, 2011.

1. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    I've been extremely happy with a commercial 200 gr. LRN out of my 1911s. So much that I thought I'd give them a try in my Glock 30. That was not a good decision. Problems from the start with feeding, extraction, and so on. As has been discussed here a number of times, Glocks don't get along with SWC design bullets, and I started to think that perhaps the LRN design I've been using was too much like a SWC to function though my Glock. There is a definite "shoulder" where the bearing surface transitions to the round nose (ogive). At the shoulder, the bullet diameter steps down from .452 to .405 diameter. Do any of you lead loaders, have experience with such a lead bullet design in Glocks or thoughts on what might be going on? FWIW, the loads were fairly light 5.1 gr of 231 with an OAL of 1.244.

Obviously, the thing for me is just not to use this design of bullet in the Glock, but I am just curious about some expert thoughts on the possible issue here (and it was time for a post of some kind....). Yes, I am up on the lead vs. Glocks debate, so we don't need to go there... [​IMG]

2. dla

dla

Oct 19, 2002
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Who told you that Glocks don't get along with swc? I've fired a lot of lswc out of a G30 with nary a hitch. You've got some other problem.

3. tjpet

tjpet

May 14, 2001
    Utah-Idaho border
    I've never seen a G30 run through a complete magazine of LSWCs without trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if the step on your RN is causing similar problems.

4. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    :agree:

5. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    As noted, many G30s will not run SWC and the sharper and/or more pronounced the edge on the SWC in question the worse it will be. Reloaders with limited experience, or who are just plain lucky enough to have one that works and who are magically surrounded by the few G30s that work, will argue different.

Do you have an image of the LRN in question? Any sharp edge transition could cause the ejecting round to jump the extractor (when it hangs on the lip of the next round) similar to SWC. Honestly, there is not too much to it IMO: If you are loading by factory data to 1.225-1.250 (depending on where the driving band is and the throat of your barrel) the LRN will work or it won't.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Many will run a plated swc, but not the sharp shouldered lswc. The G21 seems less of a problem than the 30, less of a problem than the 36.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  7. yobohadi

yobohadi Peon Trainee

Oct 25, 2009
    Southwest Idaho
    Just out of curiosity is anyone casting or have experience with the Lee 45 200grain Round Flat nose bullet in their G30s or G36s? http://leeprecision.com/xcart/MOLD-DC-452-200-RF.html

I have a chance to pick up this mold for cheap, but if it will cause me FTF/FTE issues like a SWC then I will just pass on the deal.

8. dougader

dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    IME, your load may be the culprit, not the step in the design of the 230 grain LRN bullet you have.

5.1 grains of 231 would never run the slide on my G30. I had to increase the charge to 5.4 grains before my 30 would shoot. After that, it ran 100%, and my 230's had the same step you're describing with your handloads.

Good luck.

9. barnettbill

barnettbill

Apr 6, 2003
    Abilene TX
    Also, use your barrel as a case guage, do a search in this forum for "plunk test" and adjust your COL to that. I did it for LSWC and I was able to get a batch to shoot reasonably well. The only issue I have left is my crimp. I need a taper crimp die which I will be ordering shortly.

10. sdelam

sdelam

Feb 1, 2007
    I have tried these in a G36, but they have to be seated very deep to work. The best bullet I have found is the Lyman 452-374, a 225g RN that has no shoulder and seats similar to a FMJ round.

11. yobohadi

yobohadi Peon Trainee

Oct 25, 2009
    Southwest Idaho
    So do you seat them past the crimp grove? Do you have an OAL? That would be most helpful. I will be shooting these from a G36 also.

12. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    I have issues with SWC in every gun that is double stacked. I went to RN and issue was gone.

13. dla

dla

Oct 19, 2002
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Wow. You folks are very confused. There is nothing special about the G21 chamber that would cause it to have issues with Lead Semi-Wadcutter bullets. If anything, the G21 is will chamber and fire cartridges that won't feed in a 1911.

Perhaps my experience is unique. I've put a lot of lswc rounds through a G21 without issue. And the G21 fed and shoot LRN loads that were too long to feed reliably in my 1911s.

And I never get any lead build up in the G21. Perhaps the extra slide mass improves the feed reliability of the G21 over the G30?

14. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Jan 3, 2009
    Smyrna, GA
    It's not the chamber. it's the steep feed ramp.

It's fairly common knowledge that Glocks and LSWC's don't like each other. If this is the first time you've ever read or heard of this.... well, I'm not really sure what to say to that.

Pointy end goes up?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  15. yobohadi

yobohadi Peon Trainee

Oct 25, 2009
    Southwest Idaho
    You may be able to do some things to solve a failure to feed issue, sometimes polishing the feed ramp will do it, but don't take a grinder to it, and if you don't feel comfortable take it to an armorer or gunsmith.

I have not been able to solve my failure to eject issues. So far I have not had an issue in my 36 with feeding anything, where I run into trouble is the spent case ejecting and the rim getting caught on the ledge of any SWC bullet that is next in line in the mag. The ejector slips off the rim, the slide continues rearward and then tries to feed the next loaded round jamming the pistol. This requires me to lock back the slide, drop the mag, shake out the spent casing, insert the mag, close the slide which then chambers the new round. I never have a problem chambering that round, or the first round.

16. dla

dla

Oct 19, 2002
    Hillsboro, Oregon

Bunk. The feed ramp is the same on all of the 45 cal Glocks. And there are billions of lswcs fired from all manner of Glocks. You do not know what you are talking about at all. Carry on.

17. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    This. Some SWC's have barely any shoulder at all, or like Fred posted, a shoulder that is angled and thin. To me, a "SWC" has a real wadcutter shoulder on it, like an HG68 or a Kieth type. Glocks won't cycle those because the spent case gets hung up on the SWC shoulder of the fresh round in the magazine below it.

18. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    :upeyes: See the second sentences in the first paragraph in Post #5. Then, search the internet for "Glock SWC" or "Glock LSWC".

And, it's the ANGLE of the feedramp as the barrel tilts when cycling that differs. All Glocks are not equal. And, all SWC bullet profiles are not equal. The sharper (i.e. more abrubt) the leading edge on the bullet's driving band - i.e. the more it's a true SWC - the more issue.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  19. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    This thread has warmed up. Thanks for the ideas. Per some earlier questions, the OAL is 1.244 and that is as short as I can go or I'm past the shoulder. And yes, I always chamber check (plunk test) when I load a new bullet design. Dougader, I wondered about the charge; maybe I'll load up 10 or so at 5.5 gr. and see what happens. Anyhow, thanks again for the comments.