close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Lowest Power .40 FMJ?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by diamondd2, Feb 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. diamondd2

diamondd2

Apr 23, 2010
    The other day I went to the range with the G23. I had 2 boxes of Federal American Eagle 165gr and 2 boxes of Sellior & Belliot 180gr. Wow, what a difference in recoil! The Federal felt like it was going to tear the slide right off whereas the Sellior felt like shooting 9mm.

So out of all the .40 FMJ range stuff you have shot, what do you think produces the least amount of recoil? Brand and weight.

2. Snapper2

Snapper2

Feb 22, 2008
    s.east Texas
    softest I've shot is the 180gr monarch ammo that Academy sales. Very accurate and punches clean holes too.

3. waawaaweenie

waawaaweenie

Feb 6, 2012
    middle of PRK
    probably any load found in Winchester white box from Walmart

I got a new XD40 and didn't have any brass or dies yet so I bought a box of 180 grain ball rounds

they functioned fine

but when I got my own loads and was working them up on my chronograph, I shot some of the WWB stuff and my lightest loads were 100 FPS faster than the factory stuff

about the only place they can scrimp is in the powder, and they do

4. redbrd

redbrd

Sep 20, 2005
    I reload and start at the low end for obvious reasons. My first batch was very soft shooting. Haven't shot it alongside 9mm but it might be even softer than 9mm factory target loads. Still cycled the gun and is still accurate.

5. greenlion

greenlion

Jul 25, 2009
    North Carolina
    Federal did make some Hydra-shock defensive ammo that was a 165 grain hollowpoint doing 980fps (or 950, I can't remember). That was some really low recoil .40S&W defensive ammo.

6. jmathis84

jmathis84

Sep 15, 2010
    South GA
    WWB is the softest shooting I notice in 40. Followed by Federal 180's.

7. 2afreedom

2afreedom

May 6, 2007
    The South
    Some of the softest-recoiling ammo I have ever shot (judging by "feel" alone) is Remington UMC fmj rounds. They seemed very weak and about as dirty as steel-cased rounds.

8. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    Softest shooting 40sw Ive shot is tulammo, noticeably softer than WWB.

9. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    Lower recoil is a nice by-product of the 165 grain. Fact: All guns "like" particular rounds. In 2000 I benched my G22 Gen 3 and ran a variety of brands, weights and bullet types thru it. Most accurate was Federal 165g Hydroshock. Since that is too expensive to shoot for practice, I found that most good quality brand 165g are sufficient. I also know that hollow points are more accurate (aerodynamics, for years I've loaded boat tail hollow points for my .223 as they are the best).

Now I buy cans of 500 rounds 165g hollow points from Georgia Arms for $150. Cheap, accurate shooting all the time. BTW they ship via UPS. :rock:

10. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    9mm +P+. :whistling:

11. Every time I've chronographed Federal and WWB, Federal comes in about 50fps slower than WWB.

12. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    180 gr UMC (I think, bulk box of 100 from Wal Mart) JHP are very light recoiling too!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  13. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

I think the bulk WWB 165gr's at WalMart do less than 1000fps. Only thing is, it's got to be the most inconsistent and inaccurate ammo I've ever had the displeasure of firing. It will turn an accurate gun and make you think somethings wrong with it. Now, for the record, maybe I bought some bad batches....but it's awful stuff. The 180gr WWB hopefully is a lot better.

I don't even know if it's still around, but I have some boxes of "Miwall" .40cal 180gr TMJ's that are REALLY low recoiling...and they shoot surprisingly good. I got them years back from outdoor marksman for like $6 per 50.