close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lower recoil for SD 9mm?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Brad737, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Brad737

Brad737
    Expand Collapse

Hello Mas,

Yesterday I picked up a Gen4 G17. I basically got it as an intro gun for competing in IDPA and GSSF, until I improve enough to get a G34. (I want to wait to get a Gen4 G34 when they come out. The Gen4 frame fits my hand like a glove.)

Then I started thinking that a better purpose for the G17 is as a home defense weapon for my 5', 100 lb wife to shoot. My other handguns are "too much" for her...1911 loaded with Ranger T, .357 loaded with full-power 125 grain Magnums, and 2 .40s loaded with 155-grain Ranger Ts.

My question is that I'm looking for a "shootable" 9mm cartridge for her. I load my Kahr PM9 with the Ranger 127-grain +P+. However, even that round is a bit much for her.

Would you please recommend a 9mm cartridge that performs well, but will soften the felt recoil a little bit as compared to the +P+ Ranger? Perhaps just the +P or standard load Ranger? (Makes sense to me...)

Many thanks,
    Brad

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob
    Expand Collapse
    KoolAidAntidote

From everything I've seen, your best bets in a low-recoil, standard pressure 9mm hollow point are the Federal 9BP 115 grain from their Classic line, and the Ranger-T Winchester, the Federal HST, or the Speer Gold Dot in 147 grain subsonic.

best,
    Mas

3. Brad737

Brad737
    Expand Collapse

Mas,
    Once again, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. My family and I thank you.
    Brad