close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Lower recoil for SD 9mm?

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by Brad737, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Brad737

Brad737

May 30, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hello Mas,

Yesterday I picked up a Gen4 G17. I basically got it as an intro gun for competing in IDPA and GSSF, until I improve enough to get a G34. (I want to wait to get a Gen4 G34 when they come out. The Gen4 frame fits my hand like a glove.)

Then I started thinking that a better purpose for the G17 is as a home defense weapon for my 5', 100 lb wife to shoot. My other handguns are "too much" for her...1911 loaded with Ranger T, .357 loaded with full-power 125 grain Magnums, and 2 .40s loaded with 155-grain Ranger Ts.

My question is that I'm looking for a "shootable" 9mm cartridge for her. I load my Kahr PM9 with the Ranger 127-grain +P+. However, even that round is a bit much for her.

Would you please recommend a 9mm cartridge that performs well, but will soften the felt recoil a little bit as compared to the +P+ Ranger? Perhaps just the +P or standard load Ranger? (Makes sense to me...)

Many thanks,
    Brad

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    From everything I've seen, your best bets in a low-recoil, standard pressure 9mm hollow point are the Federal 9BP 115 grain from their Classic line, and the Ranger-T Winchester, the Federal HST, or the Speer Gold Dot in 147 grain subsonic.

best,
    Mas

3. Brad737

Brad737

May 30, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mas,
    Once again, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. My family and I thank you.
    Brad