Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Low Profile Gas Block Question

Discussion in 'GATE AR-15 Forum' started by MikeG36, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Hey Guys,

I'm going to install my Noveske NSR next week and was wondering which low profile gas block would be best. The barrel is a Stag Arms 16" Gov Profile non dimpled.

Would a clamp on or set screw system work better?

Has anyone had issues with set screws slipping when used on a non dimpled barrel?

Are the clamp on type blocks very secure?

Thanks in advance,

2. I know this is a old thread, but... Clamp on gas blocks that are made out of steel are a rock solid solution. I'd stay away from the aluminum ones (different heat expansion of the two metals). The clamp force around the barrel is enormous, which creates an extreme amount of friction. A clamp on gas block will not move, ever! The battle proven Daniel Defense RIS II bolt-up hand guard rail system works after same friction principle. It simply doesn't move! No loctite or anything is needed to secure the bolts on clamp-on's. The tension on the bolts caused by the clamp is your thread locker. You only need thread locker when you tighten a screw into something solid that doesn't give at all, a solid block of steel, or a set screw gas blocks for instance, where the set screws are tightened against the solid barrel steel, where there is only a small amount of tension being build up on the screw. Even though you tightened the crap out of it, it can still be easily unscrewed.

The downside of clamp-on gas blocks is that they don't fit under most newer "slim" rails like the Noveske NSR, BCM KMR, and the DD slim rail, due to the screw heads. These rails force you to use either an set screw gas block, or an shaved down A2 front sight gas block. Set screw gas blocks are excellent as well, but they require a dimpled barrel, high temp loctite and/or staked set screws. Some even pin their set screw gas block.

I'd either sent the barrel off to ADCO, they dimple the barrel for you. If you have a good drill, you can buy a relatively cheap barrel dimple jig and dimple the barrel yourself. It's not hard, you just have to make sure you align everything good before you dimple it.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015