close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Low capacity carriers, what's your plan when you run out?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Metal Angel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    My next gun is going to be somewhere in the 5-7 round range. Currently I carry a 19 and don't ever feel like I don't have enough ammo, except of course when I leave it at home, which happens quite often. If I get a 5 round, it will be the new xds 45, otherwise it will be one of the various 6 or 7 round 9mm slims.

Either way, it doesn't feel like much ammo. I think I would be comfortable taking on one guy with 5 rounds, (comfortable being a relative term) but 2 guys? Or 3? And what happens when you run out? Before you shot at them, they may have just grabbed your wallet and roughed you up, but now that you shot at them, they are gonna curb stomp you.

So what is your plan?

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx

3. joecoastie

joecoastie

Feb 4, 2009
    STL
    I often carry a 5 shot revolver with at least 3 reloads. I plan to be leaving the scene or at least getting to cover as I fire the 5 rounds in the gun. The continual argument for high capacity guns seems to be "What if you're fighting multiple attackers?" While those extra rounds may increase your odds, in reality if you're facing multiple attackers on your own it doesn't matter how many bullets are in your gun, you can only shoot one attacker at a time.

4. T-Rod45

T-Rod45 Loves The Glock

Apr 28, 2010
    CT
    You can never be prepared for everything.

But...

Having 5-7 shots on your person is better than having 15-20 shots at home.

I carry mostly a Glock 23 or an LC9 when dress permits it. Always a spare mag with either.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  5. JK-linux

JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    Same thing that people who carry 15 round mags do when they run out... hide, run like hell, or as a last resort pray and then attempt to hack the aggressor's eyes out with a big folding knife. ;)

6. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    Good point. I guess by the time I know 5 guys are about to attack me I will be lucky to incapacitate one guy before they reach me.

7. Agree.

Have a gun, because that is better than not having a gun. Even if just a 5 shot snubby.

And to go one step better, carry an extra 5 rounds. That way if you shoot all 5 in a flurry of self-defense, you have a chance to get out of Dodge and reload for whatever is still coming after you.

Is it a perfect plan? No. But it is better than no plan at all :)

8. Mr Spock

Mr Spock Vulcan

Jan 6, 2008
    My 7+1 single stack 9mm in a CTAC plus an extra mag in a tuckable mag holster from the same company gives me 15 rds. Mag changes from the waist are quicker than pocket and I practice enough that I am as quick as I would need to be after expending 8 rounds.

Then again, if I carry the 19 I still have a spare mag. Just a habit to have one no matter what I am carrying.

9. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    I was told by my CHL instructor that most confrontations involved 3 shots fired. Don't know how true that is.:dunno:

I carry 10 with my 45ACP and think that is enough.

10. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I carry 6+1 .45 ACP in my pocket, and another 5 in a spare mag on my belt.

I hope that's enough. If not, I was probably going to lose the fight anyway because I was badly outnumbered, or I haven't trained enough to hit vitals under pressure.

11. T-Rod45

T-Rod45 Loves The Glock

Apr 28, 2010
    CT
    Averages are fine until you find yourself in an above average situation. When it comes to bullets, it's one of those things where too much is definitely better than not enough...

A friend recently asked me why I carry an extra mag with my Glock 23. He carries a G19 and no spare. He expressed how he felt that it was highly unlikely that you would ever need more than 14-16 rounds in a typical SD situation. I agreed with him.

Then I brought up the topic of malfunction... ;)

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    My plan is to use my rounds to shoot people, not to "shoot at" people.

13. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

Dec 5, 2011
    N. Florida
    Simple!

1) Professional training. Lots of it.
    2) Carry extra magazines.
    3) Don't miss 60+% of your shots.

14. tuica

tuica

Apr 28, 2009
    Portland,Oregon
    As soon as you drop the first one (or just aim your weapon), the rest will scatter. Think anyone facing a barking pistol will be calculating the number of rounds you might be carrying? And psychological group-thinking should prevent ANY of the BG's from rushing you. Even if faced by say eight guys, and you have only five rounds. Because no one ever wants to be shot, and none of them knows who you will be shooting first, second, third, etc.!!!

Also, with only 5 or 6 rounds - that is a five/six round advantage over when you did not ever carry! I usually carry a six round 45 (ACP/GAP), and feel pretty well protected. After that, I can follow the movie tactic, and throw the gun at the remaining BG's - or beat feet! Cheers.

15. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    And sometimes they won't.

The one time as a civilian the odds were against me, the mag and spare I had (21 rounds) might not have been enough, as there were four of them.

They saw more survivable options and departed but I prefer 'more is better'. Even on the times when a five shot .38 is all I have on me, I always have at least 2 reloads. In the case of the snubbie, where reloads take up very little room, often more.

Odds are against me 1. ever needing it and 2. surviving long enough to successfully reload a snub 3-4 times. But you never know. My normal carry piece is a G30 with 2 reloads.

16. tuica

tuica

Apr 28, 2009
    Portland,Oregon
    Not that I doubt your story, Sir. But four guys and you had 21 rounds? But then again, I do not know the details of your encounter. Were they armed in any way? Did they have you surrounded? Were you trapped? A long way from help?These, and many other details may adjust the situation, but I still stand by my above statements. And yes, I have also faced some danger in the streets. I was once robbed with a knife held against my throat. This was during my wilder days, some 30 years past, but I still remember , if that guy started cutting, I was going to kill him with my bare hands. Cheerio!

17. wjv

wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Yup. . That's what I do. .

Where they armed?

Last time I was outnumber 5 or 6 to one, just the sight of my 5 shot .38 was enough to change their minds. . But then, I was the only one with a gun.

Agreed. . Malfunctions are far more likely than running dry. When I carried a semi-auto, I always had a spare mag. Mostly for the malfunction issue and not for the extra ammo issue.

18. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    While I know I carry only a 5 shot revolver for EDC/CCW I don't think the bad guy will know it, all he'll know is that I'm shooting at him and if he has any sense at all he'll want to get away from me as fast as he can.
    I mean it's not like I"m going to tell him that I only have 5 shots with two speedloaders in my pocket and I'm not just going to stand there either. I'll be trying to get away from him too.
    I look at it as more of a lethal diversion so I can get away and hopefully change his mind about the encounter instead of a "stand and fight and kill em' all" weapon.
    Planning not to be somewhere where you'll need a gun is half the battle, then if something does happen plan on getting away as fast as you can so you can get to somewhere safe.
    Also, practice and get to know your firearm so those 5 or 7 or 8 shots will count for something if/when you do ever need to use them.
    A gun with 17+1 does you no good at all if you miss 18 times but a gun with 5 shots works great if you can hit with 3 or 4 out of 5.

19. TonyT

TonyT

Mar 14, 2009
    Run like a bat out of hell!
    Seriously, I carry a G-36 or Kahr PM-9 with 7 rounds. I feel that is adequate in a self defense situation. I do not intend to get into a gangfight. The first rule of self defense is to avoid unnecessary exposure to potentially dangerous situations.

20. s&wfan

s&wfan

Dec 27, 2011
    If you ever get into an actual gun fight, it's probably going to be over within three, maybe four rounds at the most. That's win or lose, I think, according to stats.