Loving the Blackhawk Serpa CQC

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Goodrich, Feb 1, 2013.

1. frontier2011

frontier2011 Give Me Brass

i like my serpa cqc
    if you cant handle one, sell your gun, you shouldnt be carrying a weapon to begin with

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I used a molle mount version on the front of my IBA a few times during a deployment. It was new in the wrap...seemed pretty decent, but did lock the pistol in once...not sure why.

They seem cheap and effective, but the AD issue is curious.

I don't think that LE is at the top of the heap, but they tend to identify stuff that affects the lowest skill-set...so there's some merit to the warnings.

They've done a little redesign I believe. The button appears to be more of a "lay your finger on it" now, than a press the shrouded button type.

Cheap....that's the attraction.

3. Amen brother, you can't make it idiot proof.
  4. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Seems to me that this holster design is a bad idea.
  5. larry_minn

Silver Member Millennium Member

Very similar to the Glock pistol design. Folks who can't keep finger off trigger have issues. Police Officers are NOT (always) gun people. To some the gun is a PITA they have to carry, train with...
    Lets look at first yrs of Glock. Hundreds of claims of "ADs" and "overfiring" Folks who didn't know WTF they were doing (for some reason) were NOT expecting the dang gun to fire EVERY time you pull trigger.
    You look at training groups. They have to make rules to lowest trained person. (to be safe) Few training places allow shoulder rigs. I have talked to instructor on 2nd day. They have signed off on it. For safety they can't allow folks that are unsafe to use equipment that requires a HINT more caution.
    BTW I am still looking for Left hand SERPA for G 19 and/or G26. Thanks. (and thanks for offer on the Sig holster. As I don't have any no thanks)
  6. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

In reality, it's a very good design. Not what I'd recommend for the average ccw'er, but in trained hands, not bad for a budget priced holster. FLETC had some issues with new shooters (folks going through initial firearms training as part of their academy). The average serving (not brand new attending an academy) LEO is quite proficient at weapon handling. It's only on the internet that we pretend that the average CCW'er is magically far ahead of professional gun toters in marksmanship and weapon handling skills. But I suppose that's part of what the internet is for. Jamiroquai.
  7. I've seen them at the local Cabela's here.
  8. Though I do NOT carry with a Serpa, I do see where it could be a positive.

My 14 years of carry have all been with a Fobus Paddle, and I am experienced and well practiced in all aspects of carry and this holster. This holster too gets much "hate" so I understand all that is posted. PRACTICE is the key to safe and effective carry.

HOWEVER, I am wondering about a "retention holster" as I ride my 4 wheeler around our river property. I am not doing "tricks" on the bike, rather just riding for enjoyment and checking things out on our land-development property. Having a positive retention system "could" guarantee that my G23 does not come dislodged.

Currently, I do ride with the Fobus, and even choose to wear on the "off side" when wearing a zipped jacket or coverall camos. Easier to cross-draw on the bike from just a slight unzip of the jacket or covers.

Be safe everyone.
    #48 allegro, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I've had too many close calls with this holster in dry fire practice to ever bring myself to put a loaded gun in it.

It's a fast holster and retains the gun well but it's not a safe design. Besides, the thing hands what seems to be a foot off of your hip and doesn't conceal well under anything but a jacket or vest.

There is far better on the market. To each their own though.
  10. I find that leather makes the best ccw holster, much more form fitting.
  11. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

See bold.
  12. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

What Glock is that - a G19 or 23?