Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Lots Of Stuff On Your AR

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by M&P15T, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    I have read (and been a part of) many threads here concerning wether it's better to have optics, lasers, grips, lights etc. on rifles (for civilian use) or not, incuding hot debates on the weight these things add.

I'd just like to share an observation that all of those things can be mounted and removed whenever the user wants, so maybe we can all just decide to let each person enjoy their AR as they wish. I know that I myself mount/remove my Eotech and Surefire every now and again just for funzies, and I doubt I'm the only person that does so. Sometimes I enjoy lighter weight, and sometimes I like to have both mounted to my AR.

In the end, it's each person's choice.:supergrin:
  2. pag23

Jul 28, 2008
    Eastern PA
    I personally like a flashlight, optic, and RVG or VFG... iron sights or BUIS are a must in case an optic fails or is damaged.

I do agree that each person will have their own preference or need.

3. ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    I think it's a little funny that "anti-tacticool" has become the new cool. Seriously, if you want a bare bones rifle that's fine, but don't get snarky at what I put on mine. EOTech, back up irons, Surefire, VFG or AFG...all serve an important purpose for what I need/want in a rifle.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  4. STI

Mar 4, 2003
    I use my AR daily 7 days a week, all I have on it is backup sights, used 1 time, EOT sight use all the time, extra batteries in stock, Surefire light used at night, not on rifle all the time. Thats it. I use 20 round mags mostly due to size. I really like this setup, it works for me. Its a Rock River rifle. I live in a rural area and I am out alone checking livestock daily and night also.
    This rifle has been 100% for me.....
  5. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    Some of mine have VFG, some not. Some have optics, some not. No lights or lasers, at the moment. But, I might add some lights later. Personally, why care about what others do with theirs firearms? I don't get it.:dunno:
  6. pag23

Jul 28, 2008
    Eastern PA
    This is a good discussion as everyone will have a different use/choice on what they prefer. 12131 I don't blame you, it doesn't matter to me what is on somebody else's AR, but I might pick up some tips for myself on what to try or what might work or not work...

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    My favorite rifle (right now) is a LW 14.5 with a T1 and light. The light is mounted on a MOE handguard.
  8. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    It all comes down to how you envission that the rifle will be employed! For most of us they will be employed at the range maybe a class which might include a night time shoot!
    So having all the extra gear hanging off the rails is pointless! Now if your a SWAT/LEO and it rides in your go bag in your trunk then by all means hang what ever you think you need to do your job! I have one AR thats KISS- mainly a range gun, I have one coming that will become my main SD/HD AR with optic maybe it will get a light later.:supergrin:
  9. mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    I like an optic, BUIS, and light.

Sometimes when shooting 3gun I'll remove the light. Other than that everything stays put.
  10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    In my case, there is no 'envisioning'. Spending 3 years clearing buildings for a living means every piece on the rifle is there for a purpose and it's been tested many times.

Optic: Not an option.

Sling: Same.

Light: Definitely not an option..... being in a dark building at night without one, or a dark building interior in broad daylight, sucks giant sweaty donkey nuts. Been there, done that.

VFG: Have run with and without, in my case, prefer with.

If someone mentions KISS to me, i consider them to either be:
    1. Dumb
    2. Uneducated or
    3. Untrained
    and possibly
    4. Building a memorial/museum piece/exact repro i.e "This is what I carried in 1991 in the Gulf" which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

The only thing that ever comes off the gun is occasionally one of the lights. And not often.

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Ok, I forgot my rifles have BUIS and slings.

I too used to actually use a rifle at work. My idea for "KISS" is to actually only put on doodads that you actually need. Not hang every hunk of sheet that is new and popular.
  12. jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    The 19 ARs I have are all a bit different. Some have all the bells and whistles, while others are fairly basic. I all depends on what the user wants.

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    Yeap, everyone's 'mission" is different. That is for sure.
  14. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V
    I have a KISS theory to tactical shotguns and AR rifles. It goes like this..."light and a sight".

On an AR all 95% of people will need is a light for target ID if used for HD, and a RDS w BUIS.

Just like most shotgun owners only need a good 18.5-20" shotgun with the ammo on board and possibly a WML for Target ID. If you have to reload a shot gun in an HD situation form a side saddle or other source you are above your pay grade and in real trouble.
  15. arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    Alot of Marine units were still running A2's during the beginning of Afghanistan/Iraq. Not every unit had A4's yet, let alone ACOGS. They seemed to just fine. I think its more about training than anything.
  16. I think a bayonet is necessary for me as I may not always have ammo.
  17. silvrevo

Jul 21, 2007
    Its all fun Detroit Lions guy,, dont let anyone rain on your parade,, cause its your parade....yeaaaaaaaa

Im putting my Surefire X300 on asap,,, I used this on my G19, but sold that Glock.
  18. silvrevo

Jul 21, 2007
    I glad to see you only have 19,,, as 20 would be way way way too many!:cool:

19. Having been in the Marine Corps during this time, and being issued a M16A2 and a bare bones M4, I can tell you I spent every minute wishing I had a rifle with the aforementioned necessities (light, quality optic).

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but your comment is akin to saying that Garands worked before, Springfields worked before, etc etc. Defensive and combat shooting has evolved, and I see no need to handicap myself for the sake of nostalgia.
  20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    My Adams Arms piston upper/BCM lower 14.5 with a Comp M2 a TLR-1
    & Larue FUG.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.