close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lots of frolicking deer!!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by WalterGA, Nov 13, 2003.

1. WalterGA

WalterGA
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Couple of days ago I was at the local post office and a friend of mine came in to see the postmaster (another friend and fellow shooter) The friend who came for the visit had his camcorder with him and he invited me and the postmaster to see what he'd shot (with the camcorder) the day before.

Looked like a scene from one of those hunting shows, but unlike anything that I've ever seen. Video guy was shooting from a treestand just inside a scope of woods that overlooked a pasture/feedplot. There must have been thirty or forty deer scampering around, including several nice bucks. He had young bucks playfully fighting, large bucks chasing does around, etc. We could also hear deer walking around under his tree stand.

Hey, you tree stand hunters can rationalize (as is going on in another thread) about how difficult deer "hunting" is, but you're just fooling yourselves. Sitting in that stand, the friend could have taken a deer at any time, with no effort. Several would have been easy handgun shots.

I don't have any moral conflicts about hunting, as I've hunted all my life, but deer "hunting" out of a stand just plain ain't hunting! If deer stand "hunting" were so difficult, 7-yr.old girls with SKS's wouldn't be bringing down those big bucks every year around here.

Gimmme a break! Maybe you feel "primitive" or "manly" or something, but there is little-to-no skill required to take a deer, shooting from a damn stand at the riduculously close distances that folks generally shoot deer from stands.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. mudfootball

mudfootball
    Expand Collapse

As a hunting buddy of mine tells me " i dont need a tree stand, deer dont climb trees." not sure what the point there is. You did say "like a hunting show" most real hunts dont quite work that way. few places i hunt would be absolutely impossible without a treestand. Even if only ten feet up what you see is a different world. Especially to the bowhunter. Now i'm not talking about those tree houses i see on Buckmasters, where you slide the little window open and stick the barrel out, while you sit next to a heater, thats not my style. But treestands are great, but not for every one.
    kt

3. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic
    Expand Collapse
    R4d104c71v3

lame....

4. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic
    Expand Collapse
    R4d104c71v3

sure you have;Q

5. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

I haven't deer hunted all my life, but I have deer hunted for 27 years.

Only time I've ever seen deer frolicking like that was in National Parks or on Private land where hunting wasn't allowed.

6. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic
    Expand Collapse
    R4d104c71v3

agreed....ive hunted every season for the past 16 years and the only time ive seen deer frolicking is at 2-4am on a food source on some farmers land....but never Never NEVER on public game lands.

weve definatley got an armchair hunter in our midsts.
    oh i saw on tv once! PFFFFT! puuuuleeeeeze

7. WalterGA

WalterGA
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Yeah, I agree! Pretty damn lame! "i could have killed two with my g22 yesterday, they were directly underneath my stand but i let them walk..."

Maybe we just have a much larger deer population here than where you guys hunt. The video I saw was made at a plantation in Baker County, GA, about 20 miles from my house. According to the videographer, the scenes I saw are pretty common there.

There was no anti-hunting intent to my post. I just don't see shooting deer @ 20-100 yds. with a scoped rifle, out of a stand as hunting. We're all entitled to our opinions, and that's mine.

I see a lot more of a challenge in shooting a crow @ 200 yds. than I do shooting a deer from a treestand.

And yes, little girls with crappy rifles do routinely take deer hereabouts.

8. bustedknee

bustedknee
    Expand Collapse
    Curmudgeon

HaHaHaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaThump LMBOWHFATS (Laugh my butt off while hunting from a tree stand)!

9. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic
    Expand Collapse
    R4d104c71v3

1) the reason i could have killed two with my g22 the other day was because of great stand positioning..

2)georgia does have an awesome deer population, and i did think about that after i read your post..i wish we had populations like that, and with the average deer being that size...i have driven through Ga. many times and have seen deer standing on the dirt roads parrallel to I-85 in broad daylight, not to mention a few large bucks, that i thought were game warden mechanicals because of their size and the fact they were in open fields in broad daylight.

i am a meat hunter and whatever i kill does not go to waste...personallly i think venison smothered in gravy is tastier than crow.

3) the type of scenario that you described just doesnt occur on public game lands here in N.C.
    and i work for my kills...i hike in, scout around, setup, and do it all while being silent and being consciensious about other hunters that might be hunting the same area.

ps. walter you have given me some good firearms advice in the past but man, if you think that stand hunting is not hunting and that shooting crows is, then i lol in your general direction...

10. WalterGA

WalterGA
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Jezus! Don't you guys know when somebody's pulling your leg...big time???

f1b32oPTic: At least you'll have a nicely-tuned trigger on that Remmy 700 when you assasinate Bambi, as he's trying to climb that tree to see what that guy's doing rustling around in the leaves! :) hardehardeharharhar!

BTW, I have not been hunting all my life; just since I was four or five years old. Got my first shotgun when I was 6...nice Win. pump .410.

We didn't hunt deer here when I was growing up, because we didn't have any deer. The Dept. of Nat. Resoures introduced deer into this area several decades ago. I lived in the Metro-Atlanta area for about twenty years; returned to S. GA about 10 years ago. Now the deer population is at the "pest" stage. I believe the limit now is 12 deer, with does o.k. to shoot, but I could be wrong about that.

Many of my friends deer hunt, and they all hunt from stands. There is a bunch down around Quincy, FL, who run deer with dogs, using two-way radios, etc. I'm sure that's a challenging event! ;)

The only time I went deer hunting (about 15 or so years ago), I took a pistol; easily killed a deer and just never cared about doing it again.

11. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic
    Expand Collapse
    R4d104c71v3

this much is true

12. freepatriot

freepatriot
    Expand Collapse
    Retired GT Mod
    Moderator Moderator

Elmer Keith would have done that with his .44 Smith, Walter.

13. WalterGA

WalterGA
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I've learned a lot from old Elmer! As a matter of fact, I have killed a crow with a .44 Magnum. Same piece with which I "harvested" (hardehardeharharhar! I love that term!) my one-and-only deer.

14. mpol777

mpol777
    Expand Collapse
    Feral Member

Depends on your area. Sure on that field, no problem. But you could set up a stand out here and sit for 6 months and never see a deer.

Back in OH, where there is a huge deer population, we hunted in two ways. One for sport and one for meat. For meat we'd shoot the deer out of the garage window at my god-father's house. For sport we would go to places with a smaller concentration of deer and "work" for it.

It's getting harder and harder to find places with small deer populations in OH now. My uncle has been killing deer for 20+ years at an apple orchard under a pest control permit. He says the past two years have been the worst he's ever seen. A huge population, but very few decent sized deer. Still the owner of the orchard is losing his shirt. He goes out 2-3 times a week and always takes at least 1, and more often 2-3. Over 500,000 deer were taken in OH last year and they are still widely overpopulated.

Now out here in AZ I've seen 4 deer in 5 years. My dad in OH sees 10 deer on his way to work everyday. The challenge is in the population density.

15. Toml

Toml
    Expand Collapse

Where I hunt the best deer stand in the middle of the road.

Is Baker County considered Red Hills, Walter? Land of milk and honey (and long fences).

16. Roger C

Roger C
    Expand Collapse

-- Classic Troll Tactic Number 1: If the heat gets too much for you, claim it was all "a joke." In this way you can excuse any and all deceit by claiming people just weren't smart enough to "get" the humor of it.

;)

17. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker
    Expand Collapse

Went to visit some family in Pennsylvania this past week. They have more deer than you can imagine. Dozens in their backyard.

I should have brought my rope, I could have lasso'ed these like they were calfs. Most scattered, but some didn't even bother to leave (or look up) when I stopped, got out of car and took pictures.

Driving to airport early one morning, we passed 3 dead that were hit over the night. The problem is out of control.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. WalterGA

WalterGA
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

RogerC: GFY! Are you smart enough to figure that out??

19. Dadburn

Dadburn
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Sounds like Walter is trolling

20. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

I went hunting for a couple of hours after work this evening.

On the way to the private land I hunt on I drove through the Bull Run National Park. Saw 17 deer in the park that I could see from the main road. The private land I hunt is almost across the road from the NP. Saw 1 doe on the private land and didn't take a shot at her.