close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

lots of careless ccw concealing in MI........

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by plumbum2, Jan 6, 2013.

1. im not sure what exactly is going on these days but it seems like im noticing A LOT of cpl/ccw'ers not concealing very well lately. maybe its the sudden spike of people getting permits that arent really "into" the whole carry/gun thing? either way i think its sending the wrong message again, about gun owners being careless etc.

im not talking about an enthusiast like myself or others on sites liek this being able to see a little bit of print under a jacket etc. im talking about people with owb holstered guns poking out 2" below a jacket that is to short for a proper conceal job.
    besides the element of surprise and all of the other great reasons to have a gun properly concealed. depending on where you are at publicly, with all of the shootings happening lately the wrong person might see it and call the police. rightfully so , they dont know what your all about? anyway. had to vent. i have witnessed 3 diff. situations in the past week alone.

edited to add. i guess i didnt realize that people are partially covering up their weapons and claiming open carry. seems like a bad decision but whatever floats your boat i guess.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Radam3

Radam3

Jul 22, 2011
    MI
    You do realize we are also an open carry state..?

When I take my dog for a walk I do exactly what you described, owb holster and a sweat shirt that if it doesn't cover completely, I don't care...

All other times, I do my best to be completely concealed.

With being an open carry state, there is nothing legally that stops me.

So maybe you saw me walking my dog... Sorry if the bottom two inches of my holster scared you!

"No more judgement day
    Only tranquility
    Peace signs, protest lines
    Mean nothing to me"

3. Filhar

Filhar

Jul 22, 2007
    So Wi
    Is open carry legal in your state? I usually carry with an open untucked shirt, or with a leather vest. I' m a horse person and dress like it. If the gun is exposed, so what, I' m legal.Never had a problem, and I' d be glad to have the police tell nosy people to mind there own business. I hang out with several LEOs that carry about like I do.

4. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Sloppy is sloppy. Attention seeking (where legal to conceal) and haphazard concealment in urban areas is less than impressive.

5. radam 3, i honestly never really got into the open carry rules, etc.

i thought it was either one or the other? open carry 100% on the outer most layer of clothing or 100% concealed. not half concealed under an jacket etc?

6. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    No such law. If you have a CPL you can carry openly or concealed unless you are on the premises of a place listed under 28.425o (parking lots not included) then you cannot carry a concealed pistol.

7. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    Perhaps they just don't care about concealing.

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Either fully OC it or fully CC it. This in between stuff will create nothing but problems.

9. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

Jan 24, 2012
    You're an idiot/drama queen.

I conceal my gun. I consider oc tasteless. If someone spots It I don't give a damn, they would have had to be looking for it in the first place.

10. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    plumbum2
    So I guess you need to adjust your thought process! OC legal! So don't worry about what others do! Remember the BG's don't worry about holsters. Usually look like the thugs they are! Be thankful so many MI residents are taking control of there own security!:supergrin:

11. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    If open carry is legal there who cares if it's concealed?

If it's legal, it's their choice.

12. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    There's no danger as in FL, where open carry is illegal, and you inadvertently expose your pistol, or in this case, just carelessly conceal it.

But seems to me if you do a half assed conceal job like that in a place you have to legally open carry and you could leave yourself open to potential charges of carrying concealed in a 28.425o pistol free zone. You end up at the mercy of the officer's/prosecutors discretion. Jacket would normally be a cover garment. Only you were careless.

I don't think there's much case law regarding OC. You get caught CCing in a 28.425o PFZ, you don't get to claim you were OCing because you were caught because someone caught a glimpse of your pistol, hence it wasn't concealed but open carried.

I think it has to be in plain sight, easily recognizeable. I've seen some argue even IWB may be a potential issue, since only the butt of the pistol shows rather than OWB holster. I think that's unlikely, personally.

For everyone else that may be unaware, in MI there's places where a) possessing a pistol is illegal. Generally no OC. Mostly the same places where b) you cannot carry concealed in MI. As it turns out, an exemption to a) is someone with a CPL.

So you can open carry there only with a concealed pistol license. If they decide you were concealed carrying and inadvertently exposed it, rather than open carrying, you can be in violation of the CC laws.

Randy

13. davsco

davsco

Feb 27, 2011
    that's the great thing about VA. open carry is generally legal, so if you are generally concealing but accidentally expose, or just want to lose your jacket because it warmed up, no big deal.

14. posts like this remind me why i pretty much quit posting here a long time ago..lol. i guess since your into name calling then you must be a complete moron to not like open carry? wtf. lighten up. i never said i didnt agree with open carry or like it.

15. i think you might have been watching to many movies to assume that "bad guys" dont use holsters. this is 2012 and a lot of the so called bad guys are more on point than ever....

i know oc is legal and dont have anything against it, just personally its not for me.

16. i guess one more thing. with all of the stuff going on lately. all it takes is a little argument/tiff/wrong look etc. and the wrong person will call the cops and say you threatened/brandished your pistol and guess what? might not be as easy as walking away unscathed.

17. owned. :rofl:

18. if you think so? i guess in my world open carry means OPEN CARRY. on the outside of your clothing, not partially concealed.

19. davsco

davsco

Feb 27, 2011
    very valid point.