close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Losing/damaging gear.

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by mhambi, Apr 21, 2008.

1. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Sep 25, 2001
  2. T. Harless

T. Harless

Jan 14, 2003
    WV
    I drove off in my jeep once with two N90s w/vertical grips, a 24 f/2, a 180 f/2.8 and two SB-26s on the roof. The sound, or more accurately, the realization of what that sound was, is insanely sickening. I salvaged one body, the grip was toast. Everything else, as Nikon Professional Services so eloquently put it, was beyond economical repair.

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    Never did as much damage as T. Harless, but I did see my Minolta IVF in my rear view mirror flying off the roof on US 101. I replaced it later, but I did have a few choice words for myself.

4. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Sep 25, 2001

:supergrin: ouch!

5. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Sláinte !

Apr 30, 2004
    My equipment is all insured on a high value item rider with my homeowner policy.

No matter what happens to it or where it happens, it's covered.

6. T. Harless

T. Harless

Jan 14, 2003
    WV
    Well that's my case too. I also have solid health insurance, but I'd still rather not have bones showing. Know what I mean?

7. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Sláinte !

Apr 30, 2004
    too true... LOL

8. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

May 7, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    no matter how careful you are.

I got my son out of my car today, opened the front door to get the diaper bag & camera bag. I can still hear the CLUNK.

My 70-300 IS was mounted on my XT and the fall caused it to strike my kit lens.
    Of course the 18-55 is undamaged. The 70-300 IS has damage to the front element, a cracked barrel & focusing ring.:crying:

Off to see what Canon CS is like.:upeyes:

9. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Sep 25, 2001
  10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    It hurts to think about it. :shocked:

11. DeadMansLife

May 7, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    That's what I thought when I read about other's misfortune. It's far worse when it happens.:sad:

I really PI$$ED the el cheapo kit lens didn't break instead. It would have still taught me a lesson & would have given me a perfect excuses to replace it with the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR.

I'm sending the 70-300 to Canon tomorrow for an estimate. There goes my buget for my 430EX.:brickwall:

After repairs, I hope to have enough money left for a good camera backpack.

12. unit 900

unit 900

Sep 3, 2000
    Baltimore, Md
    Our Nikon D70 camera was stolen when my wife had it at a restaurant in a local golf course. I put our contact information in a text file on the memory card of all our cameras. While it won't help with a theft, it may be useful if a decent person finds a lost camera. My license number engraved on the camera may also help, but the text file is easy for anyone with a computer and an honest heart to use.

13. DeadMansLife

May 7, 2000
    Carlisle, PA
    it's gonna cost ya money sooner or later!

$95 to be exact!

Got my estimate today.:upeyes:

14. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    I hope to get around to getting my stuff insured this week. :)