Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Lopking for a low cost 22 rifle

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Bob Hafler, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler

Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. Black Smoke Trail

Black Smoke Trail

May 17, 2011
    This may not be in line with what you have in mind or you may have already considered it and passed, but IF you already have an AR rifle, have you considered a CMMG .22 long rifle conversion kit? These aren't a good fit for everyone but they keep you in contact practice training with your AR which can't be a bad thing overall.

These are easy to install and work well. If you shop around, they can be had for under $200.

3. I'd spend a few bucks more and get a Marlin 60.

The Armscorp .22 rifles I saw when I lived in Australia were junk. My gunsmith buddy had a barrel full of them that weren't worth fixing. He was going to use the barrels to make a gatling gun, don't know if he ever finished it.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
  4. That looks like the Squires-Bingham Model 20 I had years ago. I bought it at K-Mart for 39...49 bucks...something like that. It was a pretty good little rifle. Last time I saw it my son had it. He might still have for all that I know. I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

If I was particularly looking for a low cost 22 rifle, I'd pick up a copy of the local "trading post" type paper, and look for a used one. You can always find one in those.
  5. usmc4641

usmc4641 NRA member

Apr 4, 2007
    Get a Ruger 10/22. You wont look back.
  6. Ratrod

Jan 6, 2013
    Walmart here in our area had a nice Henry for $298. They also get in the Mossberg AR style 22 for $229.
  7. rvanpelt

Mar 1, 2012
    I bought a Remington .22 cal. model 597 semi-auto, made in AMERICA, 10 round mag feed a few months ago at Cabelas for $159 + tax. :cool: My intent was getting a rifle that my wife and grandkids would enjoy and be safe with. Most important for young or inexperienced semi auto shooters, the bolt locks open when empty. The Ruger 10/22 doesn't, lock open when empty and costs some 50 to 80 bucks more. Walmart sells this rifle with scope, however I wanted to select a BSA Red Dot and also wanted iron sights, which the Walmart doesn't come with. I chose the composition stock over one with wood stock 'cause kids aren't too particular about dings on nice wood stocks.......yet anyway. I also added a 30 round mag which I load up before going out to shoot, especially during the cold weather months. You can also "dress" it up like a tactical rifle if you desire. It shoots cheap bulk shells which is very important with grandkids and a 30 round mag. and is very accurate. Give it a look and have fun selecting a rifle. There are lots of good ones out there, depending on what you want. I have a Henry lever action and love it if you decide to go with something other than a semi auto.
    Shoot before you buy if possible.
    Hope this helps.
    Rod van Pelt
  8. jtp0828

Dec 6, 2012
    I would like to find a cheap tube fed bolt. 22 too....wait cheap...right now...not in Utah!! starting a project and getting s good deal right now is like finding a good looking woman that hates the mall and likes to cook and clean

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  9. Just_plinking

Jan 24, 2012
    I think the model 60 is by far the best you can do for cheap.
  10. I think its more important to teach a new shooter to keep their finger off the trigger until they are ready to shoot than it is to have a bolt lock open on the last shot.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
  11. bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Marlin Model 60
  12. Current Resident

Current Resident

Dec 15, 2012
    Motor City
    Gander Mountain has a Marlin 795 on sale this weekend for $149.00. That was is light and starting to have a lot of accessories too.
  13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Savage, Marlin or Mossberg for low cost bolt guns.
    In semi auto I would go Marlin or Ruger, maybe used for lower price.
  14. Black Smoke Trail

Black Smoke Trail

May 17, 2011
    A strong point to consider BEFORE you buy a .22 rifle is to consider if you will be using it to train yourself or other (children) in your family the concepts of rifle marksmanship. IF so, attending and participating in at least one APPLESEED Event (HIGHLY recommended) should be in your future.

If you think you will shoot in an Appleseed DEFINITELY get the Ruger 10/22. That is the rifle that is primarily used and what these training events are designed around.
  15. Walmarts in our area have been offering a Mossberg semi-automatic with removable magazine for $110+/- made in Argentina. Seems like a good value to this point. Don't know how durable or repairable it will be.

This is probably the guts of their AR-15 look alike.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
  16. MacChiroCtr

May 27, 2011
    I am looking at the Remington 597 and was wondering about practice, since where I live .22 ammunition is still pretty tough to get. Has anyone played around with the LaserLyte Universal Mini Laser Sight for practice with the 597? Is that even a possibility? I'm pretty new to rifles. Thanks.
  17. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    It's too close to the price of a Marlin or Ruger for me to consider it.
  18. jp3975

Nov 13, 2008
    Texarkana, Tx
    I dont know much about them, but ive got a buddy who owns a gun shop. He has the AR-15 style Mossberg and M&P. Says the Mossberg is crap.
  19. deputygene

Dec 24, 2010
    I keep buying Winchester 150 rifles whenever I run across one. Tube fed semi-auto that will shoot shorts, longs and long rifle interchangeably. Great little rifles.
  20. Hedo1

Oct 1, 2007
    SE Pennsylvania

Mossberg has issues with anything semi auto. They just don't do it right.