Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Looting in Joplin, MO and Tuscaloosa, AL

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DaveG, May 28, 2011.

1. DaveG

May 3, 2009,0,4124316.story

So many lowlifes were crawling around Tuscaloosa and are now looting Joplin after the record breaking storms. People's valuables have been blown around and are just sitting there waiting to be picked up by thieves.

What action do you think is justifiable AND LEGAL when confronting looters, particulary with the use of a firearm. Any cops or lawyers care to input?

How would you go about "securing" your neighborhood when the police are stretched too thin already...?
  2. JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    I'm not sure on legality, but I'd imagine that this would be a good time to have a neighborhood watch (or start one). Something like that would likely need so sort of facing with local LEOs as they might wonder why guys with AR-15's and 870's were lurking around the place at all hours. That said, if your gun safe was buried under several tons of house, you might need to find some new guns. I'd assume most of one's time would be doing back-breaking demo work, so fatigue would make things dicey with a gun at night with more tornados and looters on the horizon. Like I said, having frinds to help would be everything. I suppose you still need to show up for work too to pay that deductible, so add on more stuff to suck away guarding your worldly possessions. Maybe the best bet is to camp there for a week and haul as much away to storage, and then write the rest off. No much time to do all those things.

3. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
  4. owl6roll

Sep 9, 2004
    I was down in Tuscaloosa, last weekend....I've NEVER seen the like of distruction. It will make you cry to hear the stories people are telling. Then to have someone going through your stuff and taking it, I'd be skinning some folks.
  5. I was in the 53rd Infantry Brigade, Florida National Guard, when hurricane Andrew hit the Miami area. We were there the day after and given the mission of providing assistance to the locals. That included security. The looters got started the day after and our MP patrols started that night. Mps were patrolling neighborhoods in Hummers and wearing NVGs. We caught bunches of looters. Word got out and the bad guys were driving by our camp (we were set up near the zoo) and firing random shots into our area. None of us got shot and I don't think any shots were fired by the GI's in their contact with the looters. I was glad when that mission ended.
  6. But seriously, I don't know what the laws are regarding valuables that were blown away and perhaps carried for miles by the forces of nature.

As for protecting what's left of your neighborhood, will you be stopping every face you don't recognize? Be available 24/7 (looters do not necessarily loot only during business hours) ? No easy answer.
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  7. alba666

alba666 WWJGD

Dec 19, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I am about 10 blocks from the Tuscaloosa storm track in one of the Historic Districts.
    My street is a cul-de-sac surrounded by backyard fences.
    Two of us were taking turns doing walkabouts after the storm until dark.
    First night with non-ground accessible windows open my son heard three separate looting arrests.
    Next day I stayed home and did patrol again. House always had an adult or my 15 year old son in it (never empty).
    National Guard hit the ground that afternoon and things calmed down by the next day.

Alabama has a pretty broad stand your ground Castle Doctrine. While you can't shoot for general looting (like Texas), entry into a dwelling to commit crime is pretty much a green light for deadly force. Getting any more specific and I'll be citing code and definitions.
  8. alba666

alba666 WWJGD

Dec 19, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Another issue is that the media and government are slow-playing the level of looting that occurred. For instance, looters had a running gun battle with Tuscaloosa police the evening after the tornado. That one has never seen any media coverage.

The lesson here - the wolves will be worse than the gubmint and the MSM media they own will admit so the sheep don't ask too many questions. After a catastrophe, be vigilant until reinforcements arrive.
  9. kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    Also make sure your state laws are in order. In some states, the police can confiscate your weapons during a state of emergency. You will be defenseless.
  10. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Indeed. The Greensburg tornado made that abundantly clear.
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  11. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

I think people would get upset by LE shooting looters.
  12. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

Dec 22, 2007
    Well I don't know if you should shoot a looter dead, but pepper spray to the face and an aluminum baseball bat across the knuckles should send the appropriate message.
  13. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    Store owner in Huntsville slept in his shop because of the looting. With the power being out he had no lighting and his alarm was not in service.

BG broke in, shop owner killed him. Next morning was cleared of any criminal charges. In AL in a SD shooting if no criminal charges are brought against you no civil suit will stand.

Atleast that is the way I heard it.
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Hell, even your property ends up on someone else's property a few blocks away, far enough they don't recognize you, you've followed a trail of your stuff over there, and you're rooting through their stuff looking for yours, you'd sure look like a looter.

True dat...

15. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Not if they were looting police stations... :tongueout::supergrin:

16. This might be that one situation where a CCW badge would come in handy. Maybe even a T-shirt or jacket that says "SECURITY." :whistling:
  17. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

Jan 10, 2011
    dallas, tx
    I hope they don't steal anyone's high capacity round mags........ I hate to see bg's with them
  18. That can't happen here in Virginia, but as I understand it in our neighbor just to the south of us (NC), during a state of emergency, you cannot carry a firearm outside of your property. We don't have to worry about anything like that here in Virginia.
  19. Edmo01

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    When I roll up in this ride...

with this CCW sash on, there is no question who is in charge...