close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Loose Gas Piston?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by BigNic, Feb 3, 2010.

1. BigNic

BigNic

Sep 1, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    I shot 300+ flawless rounds through my WASR. While I was cleaning it, I noticed that there was some "play" between the Gas Piston and the Bolt Carrier.

Is the Piston supposed to have a slight "wiggle" on top of the Bolt Carrier? I never noticed this before. Is it normal to have some play, or should the Piston be rigid on top of the Carrier?

2. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    It is designed to have some play to prevent binding.

3. BigNic

BigNic

Sep 1, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks very much for the replies. It is just a slight amount of play, but I never noticed it before, and I wanted to make sure it wasn't a problem. Thanks again.

4. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    It is not designed to have a little play.

If you look at a non-rebuild rifle you will find that there is no play.

Will it be a problem? Probably not. My Yugos have a little play. My only question is why you didn't notice it before? Assuming it doesn't get worst after you shoot more....it is no big deal.

5. AustinTx

AustinTx

Aug 16, 2006
    Tx
    All the original bolt carrier-piston assemblies had a slight bit of play. I think it makes the piston self-aligning in the cylinder. Most all the AKs from Century (and others) have the US made piston welded to the bolt carrier. That's not correct and I got one enough out of line, that the gun couldn't function. I finally got the piston bent to line up with the cylinder bore and work properly. All the AK kit guns that I have seen, that were put together here have been welded like that.

6. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Jan 4, 2000
    DFW area, TX
    Sorry RWBlue, I have to agree with AustinTX. The piston must have some play and should not be solidly fixed in the carrier. None of my original AKs (non-kits) were solidly fixed.

7. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Not a chance
    This is correct...
    Seen a few REAL AK's they have a small amount of play.

8. zorkd

zorkd

Sep 2, 2004
    .ph