close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looks like Dodges still suck...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Nov 18, 2012.

1. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    Sorry about the news Okie, but I'm glad you at least got a good one...:supergrin:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...certain-brands-continue-to-lag-139357408.html

2012 Nameplate Ranking
    Problems per 100 Vehicles
    Lexus
    Porsche
    Cadillac
    Toyota
    Scion
    Mercedes-Benz
    Lincoln
    Ford
    Buick
    Hyundai
    Acura
    Honda
    Industry Average
    Chevrolet
    Volvo
    Audi
    smart
    Subaru
    Nissan
    Mitsubishi
    BMW
    GMC
    MINI
    Mazda
    Suzuki
    Kia
    Volkswagen
    Infiniti
    Jaguar
    Ram
    Jeep
    Dodge
    Chrysler

2. RenoF250

RenoF250

Feb 23, 2008
    Ram is its own name now?

I am not sure how valuable that list is. Looks like the just generalize problem. My DS heated seat was not working, silly little problem but it would still count as 1?

3. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    I saw a new Ram 1500 on the highway the other day that was really, really nice looking... All blacked out with a mild lift and rims. Beautiful truck. I may be in the market in the Spring for a new half-ton truck and the Dodge really caught my eye. Too bad they are just so dang unreliable...

I'm considering the F-150, Titan, and Tundra... It will probably come down to either the F-150 or the Titan, since I've never seen Toyota deal on any of their vehicles.

4. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Oct 1, 2001
    north of the equator
    If you saw what I recently saw at a Chrysler transmission assembly plant, you'd know why they suck so badly.

5. cyphertext

cyphertext

Jan 6, 2004
    Dallas
    Okie isn't the only one with a Dodge Ram...2008 here and no problems yet. :dunno:

6. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Feb 23, 2007
    Texas
  7. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Oct 1, 2001
    north of the equator

If you saw how those people run their facilities...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  8. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

Apr 6, 2002
    Central Iowa
    You've mentioned that before, Atlas.

Without going too far over our heads, what sort of problems did you see?

9. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Oct 1, 2001
    north of the equator
    At a glance, the place just looks as if a buncha lunatics are in charge.
    I saw nothing that impressed me, nada.

10. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Feb 23, 2007
    Texas
    99 ford f150 lariat - 4wd went out twice, both at bad times. spark plug blew at 28k miles and ford wanted $600 to change it de to the design. Traded it right after.

00 chevy 1500 work truck - rear diff blew at ~12k miles, fixed, blew again at ~25k, fixed, driveline imploded at ~35k ish, just under warranty. Traded it.

02 Ram 1500 sport - tranny would slip out of gear when in reverse and get lost in a false neutral. tranny would refuse to come out of first gear at random times, even though i was in "D". After several attemps for repair, the dealer told me next time it happened, run the thing WOT until something blew up and then call a tow truck. Traded it in ~100 miles short of the 36k mile warranty.

04 chevy 1500 - zero issues, but traded it at 15k miles due to a poor decision on buying regular cab.

05 chevy 2500hd - zero issues until it got totaled under 10k miles.

car in between

07 ram 1500 sport - same as 02 ram, tranny would slip out of gear when in reverse and get lost in a false neutral. tranny would refuse to come out of first gear at random times, even though i was in "D". never blew up so i lived with it for 2 years and then traded it.

08 gmc 1500 - torque converter blew at 12k, another time and 35k miles. Last time it took rear diff with it. Traded it.

09 f150 - lowered, sexy, perfect truck with zero issues, worse towing mpg in the world, sadly had to sell it due to 2wd and bigger boat.

11 ram 1500 sport - love it. zero issues so far.

see, they all suck :)

11. Imagine if we elected our President using the same principle. Wait... :shocked:

12. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon

1993 Nisan Hardbody 4X4 306,000 miles, replaced two clutches, rebuilt transmission and engine. sold for $3600

2003 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 188,000 miles, so far have replaced fluids and one battery

13. Durden

Durden

Oct 5, 2010
    J.D. Powers is the most worthless resource for measuring true reliability, quality and durability that's ever had the misfortune to have its idiocy published.

J.D. Powers essentially asks owners if they've had a problem within 90 days of taking delivery of a new car (lease or purchase), as in self reporting, which could be something as minor as the owner not liking the size of the cupholders or having confusion over how to work the audio controls, and then treats/weighs all complaints as having the same weight.

It's total rubbish.

Consumer Reports, on the other hand, solicits specific responses from MILLIONS of owners of vehicles, ranging from a year of ownership experience, to 5 or even 8 years of ownership experience, and then CR then assigns a weight to the severity of the problem, since a self-grenading transmission is going to be more of an issue for an owner than road noise, and tracks those same vehicles for many years.

J.D. Powers is a useless, rubbish, asinine tragedy of a survey and company.

14. My first car, in the early 1980s, was a Dodge truck D100 or D150. The slant 6 engine, very simple design, old school technology throughout and has been built the same way since the 1960s(???). You'd think by the time I bought one, Dodge would have perfected that line already.

Electronic problems less than 100 miles after leaving the dealer. Leaked like a sieve through the windows. Timing belt broke. Spring broke. Horrible dealer service. At about 15,000 miles I sold it and swore to never get another Chrysler/Dodge product. Nowadays, I would not take one even as a gift.

15. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    Since I started driving, I've owned:

MOPAR (x3)
    GM (x3)
    Ford (x7) (Including my kids' Fords)
    Toyota (x4)
    Scion (x1)
    Honda (x1)

I've had problems with all of them, except for the Toyota and Scion vehicles. (I'm not talking about routine maintenance, or 'normal wear and tear items'.)

• Mopar - 1973 Dodge - electric issues. BIG time.
    '98 Grand Caravan Sport - a/c issues, and they were caused by technicians (mechanics!) at the dealership!! This was NOT a manufacturing issue.
    My 2002 Dodge Dakota gave me ONE problem, and it was fixed before it gave any trouble - balljoints.
    The ONE major issue with that truck. . . it would not pass a gas station without wanting a drink!:supergrin:
    2001 Chrysler T&C - Not ONE problem.

• GM - electronic ignition issues and paint peeling off! (GM refused to fix the paint issue on a new truck! GM can go shout at the devil, as far as I'm concerned.)
    Old Pontiac - timing chain/gears.

• Ford - Multiple problems, from leaking sunroof, to rust in gas tanks (causing filters to clog), to defective brakes.

• Honda - defective transmission

16. Bucknasty

Bucknasty

Feb 13, 2011
    Once again, elaborate?

17. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

Jan 29, 2008
    NE PA
    The reason Toyota doesn't do deals on the Tacoma is because they don't have to.

Those trucks do well enough in reliability and resale they don't need to offer sales.

I had a frame rot and Toyota took car of me, I made 4k dollars profit on that truck.

My buddy bought a truck, drove it for 4 years. When his brother in law crashed it and the insurance paid him for it he lost 200$ for driving a truck for 4 years.

I would have one now but I can't afford one at the moment. It almost doesn't make sense to buy them used. I bought a 2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport with 91k miles on it for 5,300$.

A Toyota Tacoma with similar miles and year would be about 14,000$. Meanwhile both cars sold for about the same price when new.

18. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    I'm a little surprised Honda is as low as they are.

MB seems to be getting their act together along with Porsche (of course Porsche has been making basically the same car for so long I'd be surprised if they hadn't gotten it right by now).

It also matters what the problems are. If a window switch goes out in the first year that is one thing (my uncle kept about 2-3 on hand for his '89 Chevrolet truck). If the car blows an engine or transmission in the first year that is a little bit more concerning. My experience with Honda is that the engines, transmissions, and the other "stuff that makes it go" is pretty solid (though they have had transmission issues in the past). Where they fall down is in the stuff like dome lights. My 2010 Civic has had issues with the dome light, as has my wife's 2006 Accord.

19. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    When were the GMs made? My family had two that needed repainting within a few years of purchase back in the early 90s. GM paid for the paint job (hood on one, full paint job on the other), even letting us take one of them to an independent body shop for the full paint job.

That said - GM paint jobs back then were cr#p. My 2000 Silverado hasn't had any issues other than scratches though.

Your Ford lines up with my theory - Ford always seems to have wierd stuff go wrong.

20. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    1993 Nisan Hardbody 4X4 306,000 miles, replaced two clutches, rebuilt transmission and engine. sold for $3600

Not unusual, those trucks go forever, so do the same generation PF's. I have both.

....didn't know slant sixes used a timing belt.... :headscratch: