close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking to move to Seattle in jan.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nursetim, Nov 27, 2011.

1. nursetim

nursetim

Looking to move to seattle soon. What areas should I look at or avoid? What are rental prices like?

Thanks for the help

2. Defender77

Defender77

Bremerton, WA is a beautiful place though the houses tend to be on the old side.

It's accessible by ferry and goes to Seattle.

3. gunslinger3

gunslinger3 Μολὼν λαβέ

Where are you working?

4. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Avoid anything near Ranier or MLK way, unless you like drive by's and gang shootouts, and anything requiring a ferry ride to get places.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. nursetim

nursetim

I do not have a job just yet. I don't even have the licenses I need yet. I am a nurse practitioner.

6. brausso

brausso

If you are wanting to live in the city, most of the hospitals in downtown are in an area called capitol hill. Not sure what kind of scene you're looking for, but that area isn't really my cup of tea. I'd suggest Queen Anne or Belltown areas. Rent prices are going to be higher than what you're paying now in NM, so I'm not sure what you're budget is.

7. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

8. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

I agree with that!

Shoreline/Edmonds is a nice area just north of the city, about 12-15 miles from downtown, near the water, ferries to the peninsula, shopping, decent schools in most areas and the rent is much cheaper in Snohomish County than it is in King County.

9. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

Lots of choices.

The big concentration of hospitals is on First Hill, just east of Downtown. Swedish Medical Center, Harborview Medical Center (Level I Trauma Center) are all within blocks of each other, as well as the Medical/Dental building downtown, where 100 or so doctors/dentists maintain private practices.

http://g.co/maps/6wy6c

There's another big nexus near the University of Washington, with the UW Medical Center and Children's Hospital.

http://g.co/maps/ft94y

After that, you're looking at a wide variety of individual hospitals in the area, or of course the many many medical/dental buildings spread about.

I'd strongly suggest that if you don't know where you're going to be working, you look at living near the UW, Capitol/First Hill, or Northgate (a few miles north of downtown on I-5. Broadly speaking, these are the most-connected areas, and offer the best-bets for being your eventual area of employment, and/or providing good freeway/bus transportation to your work.

The big caveat is that if you're working on the 'Eastside', which is anything on the East side of Lake Washington (Once you cross the lake, you're not in Seattle proper anymore, it's towns like Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond/Issaquah), you REALLY want to be living there also. The cross-lake commute is brutal, though many many people do it.

If you're living in Seattle itself, it's really a city of neighborhoods. They feel very very different, even just a few blocks one way or the other. Seattle is defined by the topography, it's a VERY North/South oriented city, with Puget Sound defining the Western edge of the city, and Lake Washington defining the Eastern edge. Broadly speaking, going any distance east/west will take 2x longer than the same distance north/south. The area called 'West Seattle' sticks off to the side, and is quite geographically isolated, and has its own mix of nicer areas.

In Seattle, the Northern areas, and areas along the lake are nicer. I'd say you're just fine living anywhere North of Madison street right up to and past the northern edge of the city. There are some really nice places south of that line, but the rough areas of town are centered in the south, so even nice zones there get more 'hassle', as it's much easier to just go a few blocks to steal stuff.

Long story short - huge employment centers for health care workers of all sorts centered on First Hill and UW campus. Obvious places to live are near those, but the First Hill hospitals are South of Madison St. so you almost certainly want to live North of them, and not directly nearby or south of the hospitals. Northgate is a good price/performance mix, as a major transit/highway hub that's close to downtown/UW, but not quite as pricey.

Sorry for the long post. PM if you have questions. I live in Seattle proper, have lived here most of my life, and know the area quite well. Happy to help.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  10. nursetim

nursetim

Well, what a welcome to Seattle, did know I'd need hip waders. I'm in Everett now but looking into the Green Lake area as it seems to be centrally located. Deanster, thank you for your guidance.

11. RDW

RDW BTDT

I'd avoid the South End, and Capitol Hill. Look North as far as Lynnwood.

12. Deanster

Lively week to arrive!

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you get 'settled in'... Green Lake's a great area. Doubly so if you're single and 'shopping'. Lots of interesting smaller apartments, Mother-in-law apartments, house-shares, etc. in that zone.

If you can find something that works, Green Lake and immediately surrounding neighborhoods are the best of Seattle, especially in spring/summer.

All things equal, I'd suggest you cheat east rather than west - farther from Aurora Ave/Hwy99 (they're the same thing through N. Seattle) is better, though you only need to be a couple blocks away to be just fine. East of 99 is good, West isn't 'bad', but it's also clearly less-desirable (and thus cheaper).

FYI, an absolute local classic is at Green Lake/99 intersection - Beth's Cafe, occasionally listed as being among the 10 best breakfasts in the country is at 70th and Aurora Ave. Total dive. Wallpaper is hand-drawn crayon art left by drunk people. Open 24 hours (rare here). Breakfast all day. Famous for their 12-egg stuffed omlettes, which are served on a pizza tray on a mound of hash browns. There's a 6-egg version for people who only brought one friend. :whistling:

HIGHLY recommended if you like big greasy breakfasts.

Good luck, and feel free to PM if you have questions.

Also, get out of Everett as quick as you can. It's a soul-sucking vortex of misery. OK, maybe not that bad, but I really don't like the 'vibe' there. Even a few miles North/south, east or West feels much better to me. Everett itself, not so much.

13. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

MMMM Beths cafe
    Too bad they closed the Bothel location-I liked that one much better.
    I lved in Mukilteo and Lynnwood for quite a few years-pretty good places.:wavey:
    As a city Seattle is pretty good in my opinion.

14. RDW

RDW BTDT

I grew up in the Greenlake Didtrict before the lake got so screwed up. Great place to live.

When in High School & after we would ALWAYS end up at Beth's Cafe after the bars closed. Two large eggs, Toast, and a Massive amount of Hash Browns for sixty five cents Beth's has hugely expanded since those days. It's just not the same to Me.

I agree 110% about Everett.

You may also PM me with any questions.

Good luck & buy rain gear.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  15. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Renton is fine for South King County. Valley General Hospital is there with alot of other clinics. Much of Renton, Kent, and Auburn used to be rural when I grew up, but it has been consumed by urban sprawl.

Kent and Auburn are mostly warehouses, industry, and low income housing these days. So avoid those areas.

As far as Seattle, Capitol Hill has some great restaurants and coffesshops. But it's mostly gays and urban hipsters that live there. Queen Anne is more family oriented, but I would advise moving to Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland areas if you got a family. Issaquah was a great town to the east of Seattle, but it lost it's rural ambiance years ago. It's a pretentious yuppie town these days. North Bend is farther east and it's great if you like the mountains.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  16. nursetim

nursetim

Looks like Greenlake is out, too hippy dippy for my wife. I have been warned about an east/west commute.

Are there any stores with an extensive knife selection along SR99?

17. Alchemy

Alchemy Senior Member

Can't answer about knives Tim.

Step-son lives on the hill above Husky stadium.

His small house was built in the 20's, but it's location makes it

worth about 800K.:faint:

It's a high income yuppie neighorhood. Microsoft people etc.

Wish you the best of luck.

18. Deanster

Federal Surplus, downtown, 1st ave, between Blanchard and Lenora probably has the best selection of knives a Glocktalker would want. Benchmade, spyderco, gerber, etc. Here's their website, you can call if there's something you want to check if it's in stock. By FAR the best bet in the area for having what you want in stock.

http://www.gr8gear.com

There's a mall-style knife store in Alderwood Mall in Lynnwood, just south of Everett, and another (different owners, I think) in Northgate Mall. Both are just off I-5, not far from the 99 corridor.

REI has an OK selection of knives, there's one on the north End of Alderwood Mall, or the flagship store I-5 at the Denny/Stewart exit downtown.

Closer to you, Sam's Gun Shop/Range in Everett has at various points carried a few knives, though their selection of everything is pretty variable. I'd call and see if they carry the brands you want to look at - I haven't been in there in a year or two. It's a pretty decent indoor range, founded by a cop who's now passed away, but they cater to LE and combat-style civilian shooters, and not so much fancy nickel-plated-sissy-pistols, which is good, IMHO. http://beegc.org/samsgsr/samsgsr.html

other options include places like Sports Authority or of course Wal-mart, there's a couple SA's in Lynnwood/Everett.http://stores.sportsauthority.com/

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a couple places in Everett that stock knives a bit more heavily than you'd expect, based on the navy/military presence, but I don't know them specifically.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  19. Berto

Berto woo woo

Kenmore could also be a good call for fair rent prices and decent access to Seattle without the hellish toll catastophe of 520.
    Not hippy dippy, good business presence and fairly central to Eastside towns, Seattle and North to Lynnwood, Everett etc. Normal folks too.

20. Deanster

Oh, also, somewhat surprised to hear Green Lake described as hippie-dippy.

I'd be right with you on 'yuppy jerks', or similar, but as core seattle areas go, 'hippy-dippy' is conspicuously absent in the Green Lake zone. :whistling:

Keep her the heck away from Fremont and Broadway. Just sayin'. :super grin:

Maybe look at the Thornton Place/Creekside apartments just south of Northgate Mall?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012