close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

looking to get AR

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by *ASH*, Nov 22, 2012.

1. *ASH*

*ASH*

Jan 12, 2008
    barbed
    i own several guns and whatnot , never an AR / BUY A COMPLETE RIFLE ? OR HAVE SOMEONE BUILD ME ONE ??

I LIKE the looks of daniel defense guns . id like to go different and have a coyote tan or dark earth AR .

soooooo many options .

any suggestions ??

cheaper to build ?? how hard to build

2. I know not the answer, but definitely get an AR. They are so cool :)

3. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Generally not much cheaper to build yourself unless you're digging into more specialized parts. If you're new to ARs, buy a quality factory AR, or at least complete upper and complete lower.

4. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    This.

Yes, it's cheaper to build your own. No, it's not hard to do. But your FIRST should be a QUALITY factory build. Nothing like setting a baseline before delving into the "black arts". (see what I did there? :supergrin:)

The DD will serve you well. It's not the only choice, but it is clearly a good one.

5. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    A friend of mine bought two stripped lowers and uppers, and then he painted them with Duracoat before he put them together.

He did a carbine in O.D. Green and the other one which is in 6.5 Grendel he did in Coyote Brown. He left all the controls Black. That seems like a nice option as well.

6. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    I'll be odd man out and say build one yourself. Not only is it cheaper but you learn how ARs work and run and how to fix them while you are assembling one.

By "build one" I mean put together the lower and buy a completed upper. It is not very hard and despite was some of the gun snobs say, there is not much difference between parts kits if you buy from a reputable dealer. PSA (Palmetto State Armory) is a good place to start for parts kits and uppers.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  7. If you buy an upper and a lower, instead of an entire rifle, supposedly, you can save about 10% tax. A complete rifle is supposedly taxed higher, maybe due to Pittman Robertson. I am not a tax man, but I suspect it's true. Pittman Robertson does dictate a tax to fund wildlife conservation.

And if you get them online, shipped to a FFL, you may also avoid state sales tax. For me, that would be 9.25%

I'll go along with what's already been posted. It's cheaper to build, yes. But I completely agree you will want your first one to be a quality rifle.

But, another perspective. I trained with an instructor, who IS an a-hole (but it's good training and close), who says they don't allow home build rifles in their classes. They've seen too many problems with them and it disrupts the class. He doesn't disallow any brands as far as I know. And, if he gets the idea you baby your rifle, and don't want to scratch it up, he is going to do his damnedest to get it in the gravel, or have you throw it 20 feet against a rock.

This is a momentous occasion in the annals of the Glock Talk Black Rifle Forum. This thread has been running for several hours, nearly half a day, and the chart fan boy hasn't posted at all. Usually, he has rebutted every post by now, especially posts like #6. I hope nothing has happened to him. Surely, he didn't get a life.

8. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    On the tan/FDE front, you might consider just buying what you want, and then hanging it from a tree and painting it. It won't be factory finish beautiful, but it will work and look cool none-the-less.

9. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Jul 19, 2004
    Oregon
    Get the one you want even if it cost you a little extra or you will always kick yourself for not getting it. If its a carbine you want DD has a good rep. but so do most of the mass produced rifles. Just decide what you want ....a 20 or 16, a piston, standard gas, ceramic coated...then go for it.

10. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
  11. MedicOni

MedicOni

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NM
    Anyone know if Wal-Mart is doing layaway for firearms?

sent from my left big toe

12. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Bought a 6920 from them a couple weeks ago... was the cheapest in town, and they had three in stock. The guy behind the counter commented he'd had them awhile because "no one buys those expensive rifles".

13. None of the Wal-Marts within 60 miles of me have anything.

14. irishbum

irishbum

Jun 8, 2005
    Kansas City,KS
    If you are mechanically inclined at all, buy a lower receiver.
    Get a lower parts kit without the trigger. Spend a few more bucks and buy a descent trigger. Get the stock you want.

Once your are finished putting the lower together yourself I bet you sit back and laugh at how easy it was and why you never did it before.

Tons of good videos and reading out there.

now for the warning-it can be addictive. I just assembled my first lower don't even have a stock or an upper and I am thinking about buying another receiver already.

15. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Sig can't even get it's own designs right.

You really going to trust them building a fifty year old design someone ELSE came up with right?

Stick with the known major brands. For a first rifle, get a complete one, or complete upper/complete lower.

If it's your fifth AR and you have some skill, sure, build one for a hobby gun. Me? I stick to factory guns, because tolerance stacking is a *****, and I used to work for a manufacturer. I also consider my rifles working guns, and they better go bang EVERY time. Which no hobby gun I've ever seen can be counted on doing, unless (and sometimes even despite) being put together by a trained armorer.

16. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    I would suggest just buying a complete rifle, you mentioned Daniel Defense, they make a very high quality AR.

While building is not very hard, your not going to save any money doing it, in fact you spend much more after its all said and done.

17. *ASH*

*ASH*

Jan 12, 2008
    barbed
    seems everyone is out of stock on most AR STUFF :crying:

18. *ASH*

*ASH*

Jan 12, 2008
    barbed
    Which version of daniel defense to get lol

19. camelotkid

camelotkid non-believer

Apr 27, 2009
    Oak Ridge, TN
    I bought the M4 V5 because it has the 12 inch rail guard and the fixed sights are removable if I want to change them. It also already comes with a mapul stock and extended trigger guard. The only thing I plan to change is add a magpul moe grip and throw on a red dot.

20. camelotkid

camelotkid non-believer

Apr 27, 2009
    Oak Ridge, TN
    westernsport.com has several models in stock the prices are lower than advertised you have to add them to your basket to see the lower price.