close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking to Buy first AR

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by glockbanger, Oct 17, 2012.

1. glockbanger

glockbanger
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking of going with this BCM upper

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm

and with a standard BCM lower.

1)I'd like to know what rail you suggest adding the naked upper I'm considering? ... And, are there any complications with mounting a rail to an upper with a fixed front site?

2)I'm pretty set on going with the 20" barrel. But if you guys have any other suggestions as to which direction I should take, feel free. I see that this upper has the chrome bore and chamber... are there any other important features I should be looking for?

EDIT:3) How much more do Noveske ARs run than BCM?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 glockbanger, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

Dont forget to get the bcm bolt carrier group and charging handle. BCM makes excellent products.

3. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo
    Expand Collapse
    Amsterdam Haze

20" barrel makes me think this will be more a varmint weapon and less a defensive weapon?

4. glockbanger

glockbanger
    Expand Collapse

I'll be hunting with it as well, so dual purpose.

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Get the full length MOE handguard.

No need for a full length rail for a hunting/varmint rifle honestly. The freefloat is nice but if you're shooting from a bag or rest, not exactly necessary. Also saves some weight.

I don't have much use for the 20", a 16 will do anything a 20 will inside 300m especially scoped, but there's nothing really wrong with it.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

How about a 13 or 15" Troy Tube? The 13" weighs 11.43oz. roughly 2 oz. more than the 11". I'd think the 15" weighs 13 1/2oz. The Magpul rifle length MOE weighs almost 15oz. not counting the FSP which would be heavier than a shaved down FSP.

For hunting wouldn't the extra weight savings and free floated tube add to the experience?

I also agree that a 16" might fit the OPs general purpose plans better than the 20".

7. glockbanger

glockbanger
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys, all good suggestion. I should have said this earlier, the type of rail I'm interested in is one that you can add rail partitions onto at will(not sure what they're called). But a long one.

8. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Then I would suggest either the Troy offerings, or a Daniel Defense MFR.

You can do much the same thing with the MOE handguards, too, for a much lower price. The down side is the MOE handguards are not free floated, but they are much less expensive.

#8 WoodenPlank, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701
    Expand Collapse
    Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I love my 15" VTAC Alpha, it's a hair lighter than the rifle MOE handguards and associated hardware. Will be replacing the MOEs on my midlength with them as well.

10. glockbanger

glockbanger
    Expand Collapse

Which ones?

11. Hour13

Hour13
    Expand Collapse
    Tah-dah!

12. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

13. glockbanger

glockbanger
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the direction with the parts.
    Do you prefer the large or medium latch charging handle?

Also, I'm now thinking about this upper
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-16-M4-SOCOM-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-m4-16socom.htm
    It's the socom profile, carbine length gas upper.
    My question is, what kind of rail will I be able to attach to this and how hard will it be with the fixed front sight?

Do I need a low profile gas block and an upper w/o a front sight to accomodate a rail like the Troy alpha? If I could find one, I'd go with a 16" medium profile barrel, low profile gas, and no front sight. Any suggestions?

14. TactiCool

TactiCool
    Expand Collapse

If you're getting a 16" then get a mid-length gas system. Also that heavy barrel will do nothing for you unless you plan on alot of sustained F/A. Gov't profile is ideal for your needs. It's what I use.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

As for rails, you should decide what length you want. If you need longer than 9'', cutting down the FSB to fit a longer one is pretty straight forward. There are plenty of youtube vids on that. If you're not a DIY sort then just buy the upper with the rail that you want.

For latch size, that is personal preference.

15. glockbanger

glockbanger
    Expand Collapse

I'd like the longer gas system, the carbine length is all that I found avail. at from BCM. The heavier barrel just makes me feel better, and I'm not concerned about weight. If I could install a nice rail without having to alter the FSB, that's what I'd do. I just don't know how complicated that is? As for latch size, the big one looks good to me, I've only shot a couple ARs and I'm not sure what they had, so I haven't been able to form my own opinion. As long as the big one doesn't get in the way, that's what I'd go with.

16. TactiCool

TactiCool
    Expand Collapse

The socom profile will give you absoluely zero benefits over the gov't. and will make the rifle balance poorly once you start adding accessories. You will really notice the extra weight when you add a rail and start putting things on it. But if a 9-10 lb. gun is what you want to end up with, go ahead.

There is really only one option for a free float drop-in rail that requires zero modifications:

https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems.html?cat=42

17. glockbanger

glockbanger
    Expand Collapse

And does this rail fit over the standard profile gas block?

How has Daniel Defense changed the install?

I wouldn't mind having to install a rail, just wondering what's involved in doing so if there is a FSB and standard profile gas block?

18. TactiCool

TactiCool
    Expand Collapse

It's a two-piece drop in. The two halves bolt together around the barrel nut and screws apply pressure to the nut to keep it from shifting. It is rock solid and will maintain zero with optics mounted onto it. There are plenty of install vids on youtube.

19. glockbanger

glockbanger
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, sounds like "the stuff".

20. glockbanger

glockbanger
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking of going with BCM Mid-16, BCM RECCE 16, or Colt LE6920 SOCOM.

For one reason, BCM lowers can't be ordered ATM, but also just to simplify things. I may be able to save $100 on sights if I go with the Mid-16, but I settle for carbine length gas. BCM has a lifetime warranty, whereas Colt does not. The only thing I really want missing from the BCM rifles is the SOCOM barrel profile. Does anyone else besides Colt make a complete rifle with a SOCOM barrel?

What exactly is the difference in the BCM rails? I notice that with the RECCE, the barrel nut is not visible. What does this mean?

#20 glockbanger, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012