Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Looking to buy an older truck

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by Dan, Mar 17, 2005.

1. I have been looking at older (Mid to late 80's and early 90's) Chevys, Dodges and Fords. Just want a truck. Like to have 4x4, I know I really dont need it, just want it incase I do need it.

With gas going up, I have been now looking at Rangers, Nissan and Toyotas. (late 80's to mid 90's)

It is not going to be an everyday driver, just a toy and a tool mostly.

Whats your thoughts on older truck manufactures & parts availability?
  2. podwich

Sep 7, 2000
    I'd go with a Toyota pickup. The only bad thing about them is that the bed tends to rust out. They do run forever though.

3. Toyota. They seem to have the best reputation, but I'm sure that you'll pay more for one. I'd actually look for a mid 90s one, since vehicles seem to have more problems after 10 years, regardless of mileage, as bushings deteriorate and the body weathers. The 3.0L V-6 was a dog, IMO, so any mid-90s w/ a 3.4L would be a better choice..
  4. Kevin108

Kevin108 HADOKEN!

Mar 2, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I think a fullsize Chevy will be the best bang for your buck, but here's what I know:

1985 is the sweet year for Toyotas. The 4x4s still had solid front axles and added fuel injection.

1987 was the sweet year for fullsize ½-ton and 3/4-ton Chevy 4x4s. The one-tons, Blazers, and Suburbans were best from 87-91. Don't get anything smaller than 350 (5.7L) V8, the 305s and the smaller are too underpowered.

If you want a smaller truck, the S-10 4x4s are pretty nice and can be found cheaply. 82-85 were carbed, 86-95 had throttle-body fuel injection, and 96 up were the powerful Vortec motors. 82-87 had really lousy automatic transmissions. Ignore anything without the 4.3L V6. The 4-cylinders and the 2.8L V6s are junk.

79 and older fullsize Ford 4x4s had solid front axles but stay away from the inverted Y steering setup on 76-77 models. On the Broncos the 78 and 79 are the easiest to find parts for since the 66-77s became one of the most sought-after rigs to build for offroad use and are a whole different game. The downside is the 78 and 79 Broncos all came stock with 400m V8s, which are junk. If a 302/351/460 has been swapped in then you're good to go.

Ford Rangers/Bronco IIs and Exploders I don't know anything about.
  5. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Nov 25, 2001
    I like annoying people.
    Hell, I will sell you my 85 F250 extended cab with a 460.
  6. Thanks, but too big and I bet way too thristy for what Im looking for.;c
  7. Wmarden

Aug 23, 2002
    Those ain't older trucks those are late models. I am looking to get a 48 or so in a month or two.