close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Looking to buy a 1911 again

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Warhorse, May 28, 2011.

1. Warhorse

Warhorse

Jun 19, 2004
    MI
    I had a Colt Series '70 Government Model .45ACP for over 25 years. It was an okay shooter, nothing spectacular, I sold it 5 or 6 years ago to help fund another purchase at the time.

With all the hype out there now with the 100 year anniversary and all, I find myself wanting a 1911 again. Whats the best deals out there for under $800 on a .45ACP 1911?

2. craig19

craig19

Aug 13, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Everyone seems big on the Springfield Range Officer, I haven't had a chance to shoot one yet. I'm sure a few of the guys will be along in a minute to give you some better advice. I know Okie picked one up recently, he seems pretty happy with it.

3. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
  4. Tallahassee

Tallahassee

Aug 3, 2010
    You've gotten some great advice here. If the various enhancements of those models aren't a big deal to you, I'd also suggest a Springfield Mil-Spec.

5. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    Lot's of good choices < $800.

Springfield RO (what I'd go with)
    Springfield Mil-Spec
    Ruger SR1911
    Desert Eagle 1911G
    STI Spartan
    Remington R1
    RIA Tactical (and other Filipino clones)

6. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Range Officer
    Remington R1
    mil-spec (NM marked)
    STI Spartan
    Ruger
    Springfield Loaded

what are your intended use and needs for the 1911?

7. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    Quack's list is good. I went through the same process for another 1911 not that long ago and ended up with the Spartan. No regrets on that purchase-build quality and accurate. Have fun shopping, take your time, shoot what you are interested in if possible, buy and don't look back.

8. Warhorse

Warhorse

Jun 19, 2004
    MI
    Range, HD, and sometimes carry as I still have a couple holsters for a 1911.

9. Tallahassee

Tallahassee

Aug 3, 2010
    Any of the guns Quack listed are capable of that (depending on how you feel about either carrying a RO with the stock sights, or changing them out like some have). I'd suggest renting as many of those as you can and figuring out what suits your fancy.

Or just pick one. If you're anything like me, you're going to end up with multiple 1911s, anyway.

10. how about the colt 70 series repro or 1991a1. colt's making good guns these days. (says the lifelong colt fan) lol.

11. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I agree with what quack said also.

You could get a RIA 1911 Tactical or GI and a 1911 Officer model and still possible stay under your budget. If you did go over it wouldn't be by much. That way you could have your compact for carry and your full size for range/sd.

12. Fedor

Fedor

Apr 19, 2011
    Kansas
    After a lot of thought and research I am close to ordering a RIA Tactical or ATI GI in .45ACP

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  13. I would definitely go RO over Mil-Spec.

Change our the rear sight for a Harrison fixed, and if you want, change out the front for tritium or gold bead. YMMV. With the Mil-Spec, you'll have to get the front milled, if you want decent sigh options.

Spartan wouldn't make the list, cause I'm not a fan of the STI look and sight options.

14. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    I am a Colt fan, and you CAN find excellent used older Colts or even a few new basic Colts in your price range. In 1911's it goes sort of like this:
    good
    cheap
    American made
    pick any two

15. craig19

craig19

Aug 13, 2010
    NE Ohio

What's with sight options? Is it a pain to swap them out, or is it just not possible?

16. Just not a fan of target rear sight and FO front blade. I like all of my guns to have the same/similar sights. So I would need to replace them, if I had bought a Spartan.

17. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    As shown above, there are many great choices in that price range. :)

18. G27RR

G27RR

Oct 11, 2010
    Texas
    You can order most STIs with different sights right from the factory, although possibly not the Spartan since it's not made in Georgetown.

To the other poster, replacing them is not difficult if you have a sight pusher, or a steady hand with a punch like the one Dawson includes with their sights. I've swapped front sights on both my Ranger IIs for tritium models.

If you buy a Spartan from Dawson, you can have them swap out the sights before they send it to you.

OP - I like Hokie's and Quack's lists.

19. I think the Spartan is a great starter 1911. Just not my style, specifically the sights.

That's cool that STI can change out sights for you. "Custom Shop..." :supergrin: