close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Looking to buy 1st and probably only AR

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Daps, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Oct 15, 2002
    Tennessee
    Hi guys wanted to get a few opinions.

After 2.5 years off and on I think I'm going to buy my first and probably only AR with in the next 2months.

It will be a glorified paper puncher and because I want one thing. As time and money allow I think taking a class would be fun and would eventually be something I'd like to try but being a single dad it'll be a while to find time and money(I'm paying cash for the AR, worked two jobs to get debt free, no child support coming from mom either) It would probably also see duty as HD and SHTF. I figure if I only plan to buy one I may as well get a good one, regardless of how much I use it, heck it can be a pass me down.

With that being said my choices so far are:
    BCM, Colt & S&W

BCM:
    With the BCM it looks like I can order the complete lower right now($350). The M4 Carbine barrels are out of stock($425). I know I'll have to have add the BCG, Charging handle($145), (M4 handguards 22.95),BCM/Troy(out of stock) BUIS($140) total $1060 not counting a magazine,s/h and transfer.

The pros for me with this is I can buy the lower now and hang on to the cash a little longer. I know it sounds weird but after getting debt free I've became a tight wad:supergrin: Great gun from everything I read

Cons for me I don't know when Bravo will have the uppers back in stock thus sitting on a lower and getting buyers remorse. Wishing I had just bought something else and been done with it or i talk myself out of it like I've done in the past, although divorce fees helped put a stop on purchasing.

Colt:
    Can order and have shipped to my FFL(they're on file with Buds) $1249. I haven't priced locally even if they're the same price as Buds with TN tax I'm adding in another $120. I'll wait the few days
    Pros no wait time other than shipping, Colt name. Resale value if the need ever came up but I have other stuff I can sale before my guns. If a ban was to happen I think any AR no matter the brand is going to be worth more than you paid eventually.

Cons almost a $200 difference from BCM. I'll be a Colt Kool aide fan :tongueout:

S&W (Flat top with BUIS) $850
    Pros From reading good gun, goes bang, warranty, price will allow to add more options like Optics and rail plus a heap of ammo right out of the gate

Cons: 1/9 although not really a con I think I want 1/7 just so if I wanted to go heavier with a bullet I can. The FFL I want to use sells S&W but they have the carry handle and go for $999, feel kind of guilty ordering a gun similar to what they have in stock but not guilty enough to spend $1k for S&W when I can spend $70 more and get a BCM with heavier specs.

So let's here your thoughts. I'm leaning towards ordering the lower BCM from G&R and waiting
    Thanks

2. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    Seems like you’ve done your research and have your duck in a row! From your choices, I would probably go with BCM. One other company you should look at is LMT http://www.lewismachine.net/media.php In my humble opinion, they are as good as Colt but a little cheaper. The down side is I’m not sure where to direct you to find an upper in stock at the moment. Typical prices are:
    Upper- $485
    BCG - $130
    Charging handle - $20
    Lower - $330
    Hope this helps.

3. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
    Colt. Because no matter what you end up with you will always want a Colt. Also if you must sell it no one will give you squat for most ARs except for Colt and a couple others.

MF

4. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Oct 15, 2002
    Tennessee
    I'll give the LMT a look

As far as the Colt. It really doesn't matter to me. I know they're what all are judged by but BCM seems to be just as good from all my reading plus I'll be helping a smaller company. Like I said I got plenty of other stuff I can sale before I sale my rifle or handguns

I really leaning on buying the lower and just waiting it out for the upper although I could pick up the BCM upper with DD rail today if I decide to

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  5. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    Do whichever you like best. I went with Bushmaster and I'm 100% happy with my purchase. I may buy a lower and build a 9mm in the future. I'm not too big of a Colt person myself. Of what you have decided on, I'd go with BCM. BCM has a variety of parts and accessories. I've bought from them in the past and have a small order going now!

6. snoczp

snoczp

Feb 23, 2009
    Get the 16" BCM mid-length.
    You won't be sorry.

Whatever you do, spend the money to get a quality reliable rifle.

7. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    This is just my opinion, I’m not trying to influence you either way.
    Railed fore ends are great if you need to mount vertical grips, PEQ lasers, large lights and so on. However, they add weight, some more than others. If you don’t need or want a bunch of accessories hanging off you rifle, I wouldn’t spend the money on it. If a person doesn’t carry the gun a lot, working or training with it, you probably won’t notice it but after a few hours of it hanging on a sling while you’re standing around waiting for someone to make a decision, you’ll want the lightest rifle you can find.
    Daniel Defense is good stuff, if you want to go that way.

8. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

Shop around a little more.

What does your local dealer charge for auction transfers? (IE: I charge $20, you pay for the gun and shipping to the seller, the dealer just transfers on 4473/NICS)
    There are some pretty good deals on AR's on GunBroker.com and other sites.

I have two older Colt's and two newer Bushmasters- Happy with both.

9. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Oct 15, 2002
    Tennessee
    I think it's $25 or $30 thats the transfer and background check...
    I'll look on Gunbroker but I'm not too keen on auction sites, I dont even use Ebay anymore

10. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Oct 15, 2002
    Tennessee
    I do plan on putting a VFG and light on it at some point. I'll probably go with just standard handguards unless it'll be another 6months before BCM has any in stock then I may get the one with the DD rail but knowing my luck those will be out of stock by then haha

11. MySiK26

MySiK26 ******

I say look for lightly used BCM upper. Look on the ads here and AR15.COM, there are a few to be found for a good price. Throw that on your NIB lower and you are just missing the BCG,CG, and sights. I just got a railed, lightly used BCM upper for $650.

12. 1811guy

1811guy Formerly1811guy2

May 1, 2001
    Colt. It will do everything you want and you will never regret gettingit. Go ahead, drink the kool aid, it is soooooo sweet.

13. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Oct 15, 2002
    Tennessee
    I'll look into that.

:rofl: why do I feel like I'm being tempted by the darkside lol

Keep the input coming guys. It's appreciated....

14. Glockernaut

Glockernaut

Feb 2, 2009
    Georgia
    FWIW, I just bought an unfired LMT complete rifle for $770 shipped in the GT ads. I thought this was a great price. Most of the RRA'S, BUSHY's, SW, and Stags cost over $800 at my gunshop. I was just looking to break into the tactical carbine lines on a limited budget. I was going to go with one of these "mid-tier" AR's, or an Arsenal AK for around $750 OTD until I found the LMT. Only one person besides me even showed interest which I thought was odd:dunno:. I would shop around for sure.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  15. mikeyU

mikeyU

Jul 19, 2007
    Montana
    DDM4, check it out, great gun, quality. Or spend more and get a Noveske.

16. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Noeveske comes to mind as another premium brand.

However, what he said is true with Colt. Nothing else is a Colt. It's the same as when you get into the motorcycle cruiser market. You gotta go Harley. You can debate how great the Japanese cruisers are or that you like Victory or other American customs, but in the end, when you say cruiser, people say Harley.

A Japanese cruiser guy will pull up next to a guy on a Harley and say he will own a Harley someday. A Harley rider will never say that he wishes to own a Japanese cruiser someday.

17. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    The right answer is...

forget the S&W.

Buy either the Colt or the BCM setup. The Colt is the benchmark all others are judged by and the BCM is it's twin. I have a Colt 6920 and a BCM M4 and I wouldn't trade either for any other make, period. It just don't get any better than these two.

18. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    CDNN has had some good sales and included 10 mags. Get on their email list, give them a call and see what they'll do.

19. beerswimmer

beerswimmer

Apr 5, 2005
    Kodiak, Ak.
    Or get an XCR. It's AR everything, but it lets you have a folding stock:cool: Something the AR can't have. Plus if in the future you want to switch calibers, you can!

If I were starting all over, it's what I'd get!!!!!!

20. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Oct 15, 2002
    Tennessee
    That puppy is going to be out of my price range :)

Still doing more research. I leaning towards ordering a BCM lower next week and waiting on them to get more uppers in.

Maybe BCM will get them around the time I get my bonus, then the money I have set aside for the upper I can use to buy accessories(mags,optics,ammo,sling, softcase, etc)