Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Looking into buying my first

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ItchyFinger, Dec 29, 2011.

1. ItchyFinger

Feb 16, 2011
    Quakertown, PA
    So, I'm thinking it's about time to purchase my first pistol. I have about $750 saved up for it. I'm looking for a good carry and defense pistol.

My brother is a LEO and he suggested quite a few pistols that he thinks I would like. I have shot many pistols in the past, and every one he owns. Which is a SIG P229 .40, a G26 9mm, and a Ruger LCP .380.

There's not much to say about the SIG P229. It simply shoots awesome. Which is also his work issued gun. The G26 is also nice, but I prefer shooting the SIG. And the LCP is just too small, not what I'm looking for.

The one's that he suggest are and he has shot all of them:

Walther PPQ 9mm (he said the grip just melts in his hands)
    Walther P99c AS trigger .40 (I understand these are incredibly hard to find)
    Ruger SR40c or SR9c
    G26 or 27 Gen 4
    XD Subcompact .40

I'm looking for a pistol that is comfortable in my hands, accruate, comfortable to carry, and reliable. I want it to go bang every single time I pull the trigger without a doubt in my mind. Safety is a non issue as the best safety is the owner of the gun.

Just looking for opinions for a first-time owner. Thanks in advance.
  2. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

Nov 3, 2005
    Go to a range with rental guns; a wide variety of them. Try as many as you can, then pick which one you like the best.

3. Play with everything you can before you buy then figure in cost of holster,ammo and training.Once you have done all this check this site and if you can,buy from here he has everything.

Another note,don't let anybody tell you what you can and can not carry.It's your body and your permit(requirements).I'm 5'10" and at least 225 lb,i will and do conceal some pretty big guns.It will come down to what you are comfortable with carrying(weight/siz)and how you plan on carrying(holster and belt rig).

Now to my gun sourse for everything to buy.
    I continually order without issue many guns from him and you won't find hardly anything cheaper.Oh and if you have any more questions jump right in and ask.
  4. tim12232

tim12232 Pistolero

Aug 15, 2011
    This coming from a former Glock Hater, I love my glock 19, shoots as accurate as my top tier Sig P229 Enhanced Elite. the sig was almost twice the price. I love my sig, I love my glock. E2 grips on the sig feel better in the hand, but the glocks grip lets my hand get up so high on the bore axis. I know there are alot of .40 lovers on here, I myself dont really care for the round. I believe that modern 9mm rounds like the Federal HST or Winchester Ranger-T will be more than enough to cause significant damage to a bad guy. Shot placement is the most critical, training for those shots mean lots of range time, and maybe a gun course. 9mm is cheaper and in turn lets you become more proficient by shooting more. I only carry 9mm or .45 acp, as for carry, I carry both the G19 and Sig about the same, I have thousands through each and am very comfortable with the trigger differences. My Dan Wesson is too pretty and expensive to carry so thats my HD gun for the most part. Go find what fits in your hand best, with the proper grip....

Good luck, if you dont get a glock, try to at least buy american!
  5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Check out an S&W M&P 9C.
  6. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Southern Maryland
    G19 for a first handgun, or, get a revolver. The S&W mdl 586 or 686 come to mind, first.

Then, a 1911 is a GREAT pistol.
  7. ItchyFinger

Feb 16, 2011
    Quakertown, PA

I understand and respect this comment immensely. But it's a simple fact that some things made in the USA just aren't the best.
  8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    If you like the P229, why isn't that on your list? A used P229 is only $500-550. You can order one from Bud's right now for $530, including shipping.
  9. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    Big differerence here

The Ruger LCP weighs just under a pound and you can carry it in your pocket, great carry gun but a .380 pocket pistol is not the best gun to defend your home with.

The Sig 229 is a 2 pound service pistol. You can carry it concealed but since its big and heavy its a royal PITA, and you definatley need a solid holster, a good belt or shoulder rig and some baggy clothes. Also The Sig 229 is an expensive handgun, buying new will max out all the money you saved.

I think for a newbie who want the best of both worlds carry and defensive, a subcompact to midsized compact 9mm that is not too heavy (under 28oz loaded) will fit the bill. 9mm ammo is cheap, and if its your first gun you will want to shoot a lot. Like others have said, hit the guns stores and feel up some guns, then rent some and see what you like and shoot best.

I would check out

Glock 26 and maybe the 19

Walther PPS ( the PPQ is the flavor of the month, but its as big and heavy as a 229 which for reference is as big as a Glock 17 and over 30oz)

The Ruger SR9c looks pretty sexy for a Ruger centerfire and its priced right. I have been eyeballing one myself, but early on they had growing pains with reliability , maybe some recent owners can tell us otherwise.

S&W M&P compact

Springfield XD subcompact or XDm compact

The Sig 250 sub compact (which is actually reasonably priced)
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  10. USDefender

USDefender Lay Them Waste!

Jul 8, 2005

Out of the guns you listed, I'd say you really can't go wrong with any of them. My personal preference on the list would be the Walthers... I'd probably lean toward the PPQ, but if you find a decent P99 you'd probably like it as well. It's my understanding that after-market accessories (i.e. magazines, etc.) are pretty expensive, though...

If I had $750 to spend on a handgun, right now, I'd probably take a look at something made by 'HK.' Just something to think about.

Good luck on your hunt, and remember to enjoy it. :cool:

*Edited to say: Here is a YouTube video by Hickock45 in which he demostrates several kinds of pistols, including some from the 'firearms families' you're considering. He does leave out Glocks, however, since a good portion of his other vids usually involve those pistols-- It's worth looking them up, too.
  11. ItchyFinger

Feb 16, 2011
    Quakertown, PA

P229 is very high on my list. Awesome gun. I'm just not 100% sure and still open to other options. There are many great pistols out there And I have yet to shoot some of them.
  12. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    This is my general list of "Looking for a carry gun..." suggestions. In no particular order:

S&W Lady Smith loaded with .38 Special+p Gold Dots or Corbon DPX
    S&W Model 60 or 640 with .38 Special+p Gold Dots or Corbon DPX
    S&W Model 442 or 642 with .38 Special+p Gold Dots or Corbon DPX
    Ruger SP101 loaded with .38 Special+p Gold Dots or Corbon DPX, .357 Magnum something or other.

Bottom Feeders: Any of the below with Gold Dot 124 gr +p or similar HST.

HK P2000SK LEM 9mm
    Ruger LC9
    Ruger SR9C
    Walther PPS 9mm
    Glock G26
    S&W M&P9c
    S&W 3913 / 6906
    Kahr CM9 or MK9
    SIG P239 DAK 9mm
    Beretta has a new pocket 9mm coming out - Nano

.40 S&W or .357 SIG versions of the above if you prefer. 165gr/180gr HST for .40 and 125gr Gold Dot for .357 SIG would be my pick.

.45s these are mostly going to be about the size of a G19 so keep that in mind. Any of the below with 230 gr Gold Dot, HST or Golden Saber

Kahr CW 45
    H&K USP Compact .45
    H&K 45C
    Springfield XD .45 Compact
    M&P 45c Compact
    SIG P220

For the money you have you can get a Glock 26 or M&P9c, a Comptac MTAC Holster, some spare mags and ammo. Or the .40 S&W versions of those if you prefer. I would start there. If you really want a SIG for carry I would look to the P239 9mm first over the 229. Nothing wrong with the 229, it's just larger than what I would routinely carry given that I'm not police and for where I go and what I have to do day to day at work, etc. For weekends, travel, camping, etc. the size isn't an issue. But that's me. I don't know your particulars.
  13. ItchyFinger

Feb 16, 2011
    Quakertown, PA
    I see some suggestions for the P2000sk. I've seen videos and read reviews about it. I just think they're overpriced. I don't know though, never had one in my hands.
  14. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles

As I own them and some of the other things on the list, let me address that for you.

An H&K like the P2000 or P2000sk is going to cost more than a Glock and be about the same as a SIG, maybe a couple bucks more, depending what models comparing. The mags for the H&K P2000sk are going to be about $7 more than mags for a Glock and about the same as SIG.

In the grand scheme of things it's peanuts compared to the continual cost of ammo. If you decide you like an H&K or SIG best, don't let the $150-$275-ish dollars it costs more than a Glock keep you from getting what you really want. A year from now you won't be sitting at the range going "Dang, I really like this H&K or SIG, but shucks, I can't believe it cost me more than a Glock!" :supergrin: It's not about if are they better than a Glock or anything, they are not the same type of pistol. Glock, H&K, SIG, they are all first rate. It really comes down to if you want a pistol with a hammer or striker. If you want one that is hammer fired, my first two choices would be SIG and H&K. If you want a hammer fired pistol that is polymer frame - H&K, no doubt.

If you are strictly shopping by price and have to stay in that budget (nothing wrong with that at all), or have no preference whether the pistol is striker fired or hammer fired, get the G26 or the S&W M&P9c in 9mm. Can't go wrong there either. That's about as fanboy as I'll get. :crying:
  15. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    Just a quick hi-jack, I'm hoping and praying gun manufactures other than Kahr make a .45 pistol smaller than a G19.

The Pm45 is just wicked expensive.

I'm crossing my fingers that this shot show will have some new pocket .45.
  16. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    I agree and wish there were some more choices on the market at the smaller end. I like .45 but I can't really be running around with a G19 size pistol all the time so I mostly just shoot them for recreation.

On the other hand, once they start getting real small and the magazine capacity starts to get down into J-frame territory, I start to prefer a 9mm. :dunno:
  17. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    A lot depends on how much you want to practice. If you plan on doing a lot of practice so you'll get familiar with the manual of arms for your gun then a semi-auto will work for a 1st handgun. If you'll not be able to practice as much then a good revolver may be best to start out with.
    For a revolver stick with a name brand(i.e. S&W, Ruger, Colt, Taurus) and stay away from junk like RG or the like. Many have a 3" bbl option which is great for HD and carry but if you'll carry more then look for a 2.5" K Frame size gun or for more HD a 4" would work better. Just get a feel for it and practice and you'll be able to hit what you aim at in no time.
    For a good semi you can go Beretta, Sig, Glock, S&W, H&K or a few others but don't bother with Lorcin or Hi-Point, they're just not worth what they're going for these days. Learn the Immediate Action Drills and try to get out and shoot at least once a month if you can.
  18. ItchyFinger

Feb 16, 2011
    Quakertown, PA

If the pistol is good enough quality, price isn't much of an option. And if I really had to cut my list down, I would prefer striker fired with a very light trigger.
  19. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    Ok. Wasn't trying to knock the budget or anything. We all have one.

If you want striker I would really be looking hard at the G26/27 or the M&P 9c/40c. They are both great choices with lots of holster options, etc. The big difference between the two is that the M&P is a touch bigger, but it has a rail and can have a manual safety on it if you want. I wouldn't go with a very light trigger for a carry gun, but that's my personal view. I'd just go with factory stock.
  20. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004

This may seem hard to believe, but Glock isn't the only decent foreign handgun.

In fact, I feel many are better.