Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

looking for training mats

Discussion in 'The Martial Arts Forum' started by bluemeanie, May 20, 2005.

1. bluemeanie

bluemeanie Lospeedhidrag

Does anyone have any used ones for sale? Have you spotted any good deals lately? I don't know the different types, but my Karate club will be using them for ground work and throws.

2. Steelviper

Dec 5, 2004
    Springfield, MO
    My old TKD club got together and bought some of the "puzzle mats". Kind of a rubber-foam material that interlocks to make up a mat across a larger area. NOT very soft. It worked ok, but smelled bad, and didn't provide much cushion.

At my current jujitsu school the whole floor consists of that blue gymnastic-looking mats. MUCH nicer feeling (though probably much more expensive).

3. bluemeanie

bluemeanie Lospeedhidrag

4. BlackBelt

Aug 23, 2000
    I use Swain mats. They come in two different thicknesses (is that a word?).
    They are quality mats. Never had one rip or tear, or even show any wear.
    My only complaint is that shipping on those bad boys is pretty expensive, because they are fairly heavy.
  5. Fedaykin

May 5, 2005
    If you happen to live in Hawaii, I have a set of Swain Sports Mats for sale. I have used them in my JKD school for two and a half years and, like BlackBelt says, they show no signs of wear (which is more than I can say for other brands, such as Norbert's). The only reason I'm getting rid of them is because I have to move soon.

Temet nosce,
  6. bluemeanie

bluemeanie Lospeedhidrag

I wish I could take advantage of that Fedaykin. I am in the lower (lower) 48. Hopefully someone there has a need.

I am still trying to get some specs from the club on what we need exactly. I am thinking it is the thicker "tumbling" type mats, as they're to be used for throws.