close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Looking for the Glock of rifles?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by swh_longhorn, Nov 6, 2012.

1. I recently got back into shooting after a long (40 year) layoff. I have 2 Glocks (17, 19) that I think are great. The best thing I like about them is they go bang everytime and relatively simple to maintain. Costwise they were in the middle of the dollars I was wanting spend.

Now I'm thinking of getting a AR type rifle for HD, target shooting, etc. I would like to find a rifle with same kind of traits. Bugetwise I'm looking at spending around $1000.00. And being a general tightwad, I'll probably go for a used gun.

I'm sure there won't be total agreement, LOL, but would appreciate some suggestions on what to get and caliber.

Is there a rifle out there that could be considered kind of the Glock of rifles?

2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Any quality AR in 5.56x45. For $1000 you can buy new. Colt, BCM, lots of good makers.

ARs are really simple to maintain and work on.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    AR15s are the "Glocks" of the rifle world in many ways, very reliable with quality parts, easy to maintain, and spare parts easily available.

As far as caliber goes, 5.56 is the best way to go if your budget minded. MUCH cheaper to shoot than any other caliber ARs are chambered in. LE/.mil use 5.56 ARs, if its good enough for them, its good enough for me.

The consensus around here is the best complete rifle you can get is a Colt 6920. A lot of guys build their own ARs from a stripped lower exactly how they want them, but usually it costs much more money to do it that way.

4. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

+1 :agree:

5. skew12

skew12

Sep 13, 2012
    The colt 6920 is great for the money. But I have decided to spend a couple hundred more and get either a BCM or a DD setup a lot closer to the way I want it.

6. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

Jul 9, 2005
    I haven't seen the GLOCK of ARs yet. I've seen plenty of mid- and high-dollar carbines malfunction, with the problem usually being attributed to carbon build-up or lack of lubrication on the bolt and bolt carrier, or excessive heat from dozens of rounds fired in rapid succession. Those excuses are, to me, unacceptable. I have a LWRC piston driven carbine that is pretty close to rock-solid, and doesn't need babying or lubrication to any degree. As an experiment I haven't cleaned or lubricated mine for many hundreds of rounds now, and it's still running like clockwork. It is very close to GLOCK-like in reliability.

7. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    X2
    I've seen colts choke & DPMS run. You set a budget. Now shop for AR in that range. Not a whole lot of difference these days once your at $1K.

8. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
  9. If you are really looking for the Glock of rifles, I would check out a Steyr AUG A3. I know the Steyr cost about $2000, but, it's the ultimate Glock of rifles. As much as I love M16's, AR15's, and M4's, neither of them can hold a candle to the AUG, probably not even a good AK platform. It's extremely robust, handles full auto heat with absolutely no problems, and has a lot of other advantages, and a few disadvantages of course. I have used a Steyr AUG in the Austrian army, on the Austria Hungarian border, and a few month in the Kosovo conflict in southeastern Europe. I have never heard of a Steyr AUG malfunctioning or brake in my entire military career.

10. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Oct 1, 2003
    SC
    Daniel Defense or Bravo Company AR. Nuff said.

11. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    Spike's tactical, Daniel Defense, BCM, Colt, Lmt...all make mil-spec rifles, and all are good choices. I personally own a Spikes Tactical Middy with CHF 16" barrel and NiBX BCG.

12. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    That too, OP you have many choices and you better buy before prices go crazy if they have not already.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    DD, Colt, LMT, BCM.

There is a huge gap regardless of price b/w some ARs. Some will dispute such things. Usually because their AR from a questionable manufacturer rarely if ever gets run hard. $1k can net you good or bad results. You'll get a lot of response from those trying to help. In the end it's up to you to make an informed decision.

14. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

Sep 3, 2011
    Kansas
    Hardly. It's not a huge savings but I built a very nice AR for less than that Colt cost.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  15. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I agree that it doesn't cost more but I have never saved a penny assembling one myself w/ parts of equal quality.

16. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Jul 19, 2004
    Oregon
    Well your price limit just limited you to a few new rifles.....but there are numerous used rifles out there. The high cost brand names are even high cost in the used market. Your most likely choice will be bushmaster. If you go online to auction arms or gun broker and search the cost of used rifles you will see what I mean. Your next choice are pawn shops, and consignment deals at your privatly owned gun stores. check out the news papers but many won't allow the sale of Assault style rifles. Good luck as Mr. Obamas election has just kicked up the price of all rifles.

17. IronRonin

IronRonin

May 18, 2010
    Hmmm so the qualities of a Glock are - Simplicity, Reliability, Durability...and arguably, affordability.

And no one has mentioned Ak platform rifles yet? I would highly suggest a Saiga rifle in 308 or 223/5.56. I really like the AK platform chambered in the American calibers.

18. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    AUGs have their own issues. I know a guy with over 20 years using one, and by preference, he uses an AR for 90% of his work.

For certain options they work well, but the AUG while good (as a bullpup) does not beat an AR.

19. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    Have you considered buying an AK?:wavey: