close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for straight-forward answers on reloaded ammunition in Glocks

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SC_Dave, Oct 26, 2012.

1. SC_Dave

SC_Dave

Oct 7, 2005
    Florence, SC
    Knowing I should not use cast bullets in a polygonal barrel I planned on just loading jacketed bullets. I know Glock like most manufactures say use factory ammunition. How many of you use reloads in your Glock pistols?

Then checking the price of 9mm jacketed bullets I started doing some math. I figure on average it will cost me for powder, bullets and primers around 20-22 cents per round. I can buy 115 gr jacketed 9mm Luger for 22-24 cents per round. I'm seriouly asking, am I missing something here?

So really two questions:

1. Should I shoot reloads in my Glock.

2. Is it worth it to reload 9mm if I must use jacketed bullets?

Thanks for you input guys.
    David

2. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    Over the last 15 or so years shooting 18 different Glocks. Every one of them I shoot reloads. I shoot 7 or more GSSF matches with reloads a year.
    Yes it is cheaper to reload for 9MM, but it depends on where and how much you buy. Before you will see any advantage in reloading 9MM. The more you buy the cheaper it is. I also use range pickup brass. I only use new brass for rifle. I use plated bullets, but I get a great deal on them.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012

3. sig357fan

sig357fan

Apr 8, 2008
    SW OH
    1. Yes

2. Buy bulk

Look at the sticky for the suppliers and check the price and shipping for bullets by the thousand.

Group buy with likeminded folks in your area for powder and primers to offset haz mat fees.

And yes, you can shoot lead bullets in a Glock, some do it in the stock barrel, some buy aftermarket barrels.

sig357fan

4. SBray

SBray

May 5, 2012
    Loomis, California
    David,

A Lot depends on your type and volume of shooting. If you don't enjoy reloading, then I would think it would not be worth it if you can afford factory ammo. Some readers that only go plinking at the local range on occasion, would probably be better off just to find good bulk 9mm ammo priced reasonably and not bother with the time and expense of reloading.

I do not shoot competition, but still enjoy reloading good quality rounds that I enjoy shooting. I think it all depends on your interests, time available, and volume of shooting. 9mm ammo is probably one of the hardest to justify reloading for, since it is pretty cheap to buy from bulk suppliers locally.

JMHO,

Steve

5. TX Archer

TX Archer

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, TX
    1. Sure, if you want to.

2. That's up to you but I think it is. By buying components in bulk, my prices for 124gr PD JHP are less than half the cost of bulk 115gr FMJ and I find it worth my time.

6. sciolist

sciolist

Nov 11, 2009
    PNW
    • I use handloads almost exclusively - about 30K rounds of 9mm in the last year.
    • 115gr FMJ is what, I think 23 cents at Walmart. I load 124gr FMJ for about 13 cents and 125gr moly for <10 cents. 147 and 152gr moly are slightly more.
    • If you load it yourself, you can combine bullet, powder, primer, power, etc. to suit your purpose.
    • Of course you should shoot reloads. There is no comparison. You get a much better product for roughly half the cost.

7. 95 percent of what I shoot in my G22 are reloads, with lead bullets. Never have had an issue.

Don't get crazy with hot loads and you'll be fine. My loads cycle the action fine, leave minimal lead in the barrel, produce nice groups, and leave nice rounded corner on the primer.

All the Best,
    D. White

8. I use LRN reloads in my Glocks.

9. I personally think the key is, "you need to like to reload".

I have spend a great deal of money on components and equipment. More so than I believe I would have spent on factory ammo. But, I like the reloading process and the process of making it work.

And if the price is right... I just bought 1000 rounds of Wolf .223, and 500 rounds of surplus .30-06. :whistling:

And I reload for both. Go figure!

10. I haven't seen it mentioned yet (might-a missed it), but another good reason to reload 9mm would be to adjust a load for competition shooting, like IDPA.

I've shot only two IDPA meets, but my brother shoots much more frequently. He reloads 9mm - as I understand it - to a lighter powder charge, just a bit more than what the slide recycle needs, in order to reduce muzzle flip as much as possible.

11. SC_Dave

SC_Dave

Oct 7, 2005
    Florence, SC
    What is LRN? Sorry not familiar with that.
    David

12. sig357fan

sig357fan

Apr 8, 2008
    SW OH
    Lead Round Nose, a cast bullet simular in profile to a FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) of the same weight.

sig357fan

13. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I have shot thousands and thousands of reloads out of my Glocks of every type of boolit and about 8 differant powders except lead. One of my glocks only seen 500 rounds of factory 147 and 124 just to break in the recoil spring.

14. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    My G-17 has never seen factory ammo. If you shop around and buy in bulk you should be able to load for half of what cheap WWB cost.

15. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    You didn't show your work, so I don't know how you came up with such a high price for reloading 9mm ammo. It costs me more like $0.13 per round to load 124gr jacketed 9mm. 147gr may add another penny or two per round. Buy your bullets, powders, and primers in bulk. Reuse (better yet, get for free and reuse) your brass, and it's definitely worth it to reload all your centerfire ammo (with the possible exception of some of the common Russian calibers).

My old range just advertised that they're now selling Atlanta Arms ammo. By the case (1000 rounds), it's 9mm 147gr = $264.99, .40 180gr = $279.99, .45 230gr = $319.99. I can make comparable 9mm and .45 (I don't shoot .40) for half those prices or less.

It helps a lot if you normally shoot at a range where it's possible to pick up other people's left behind brass or you have non-reloading friends who pick up and give you their brass. Finding 50-100-200 9mm or .45acp brass every now and then adds up.

16. SC_Dave

SC_Dave

Oct 7, 2005
    Florence, SC
    Thanks njl, I didn't show my work in school either. Hehe

I am sure bulk purchases would help. Maybe I'm not shopping in the right place, I don't know. I am open to suggestions on place to get deals on primers, FMJ bullets and powder. Where do you buy your bullets? To save shipping I am trying to buy everything from one vendor, may not be possible but some place offer free shipping on orders over X amount. I am just getting started and don't have the buying experience you guys have so any help is appreciated

Thanks, David

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  17. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    That may not be practical. To get the best prices, you want to buy bullets from the manufacturer (Precision Delta, Montana Gold, etc.) and those people don't sell primers and powder. Those places generally include shipping in the price of the bullets, and are much cheaper than say Hornady or Speer bullets from Midway or other places, so you're best off getting the bullets from them.

Powder and primers are easy to get together (on a single hazmat [extra shipping charge for hazardous materials]) from places like Powder Valley, Grafs, Wideners, etc. Some would suggest buying your first powders locally in a 1lb jar until you know what you want...but IMO with sufficient research, you can start out with a bulk mail order. I did, and I've been happy with the choice I made.

18. SC Dave- If you are just starting out and are unclear of whether or not you will like reloading OR if you need to develop a load first, you'll likely not be making an initial purchase in bulk. Eventually however you will need to buy in serious bulk quantities. In bulk, using premium components (VV N320 powder and 147gr MG bullets, but not counting brass) my 9 mil loads are about 15 cents each. These are my competition and practice loads in every action pistol competition, for every gun except my Unlimited gun. Using one standard single load for 90% of what I shoot allows me to buy larger quantities of everything; 20K-25K primers, 12 lbs powder, and bullet orders of 3K at a time (limited by weight - not actual need.)

BTW, Glock does not say that reloads shouldn't or cannot be shot, or that reloads will void your warranty. To paraphrase the warranty, it now says to shoot cartridges of SAAMI or NATO specifications.

19. upstech76

upstech76

Feb 28, 2011
    MS
    I purchase my bullets from Precision Delta and/or Berry's Mfg. I buy most of my powder/primers locally but do purchase in bulk online from Powder Valley when I have the funds. My 9mm loads run between .12-.14 cents each depending on where I obtain my components. Do you have a local gun shop that sells powder & primers? Got any buddies that reload and can split some shipping/hazmat fees?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  20. upstech76

upstech76

Feb 28, 2011
    MS
    Also quantity plays a big part in the purchase or reload decision. Before I started releading I maybe shot 300-500 rounds per year. Now I shoot that or more in a month.