close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Looking for personal opinions... Yeah, as if you're afraid to speak up ;)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by PettyOfficer, Jul 8, 2012.

1. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Nov 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'm looking to start pinching and saving for my next purchase... Including working OT as I can get it.

However, it'll be quite awhile before I'll be making a purchase, so I have time to research and plan.

I'm looking for home defense & maximum range fun. I have in mind two ideas and I'd like to hear folks views on both.

Please own or have experience with what you recommend.

A) KRISS Vector SBR .45 ACP

or

B) AR platform SBR in .223/5.56 with a few tacticool items like a mounted light and mounted camera.

I wouldn't mind a 308/7.62/300AAC but think its overkill for a suburban environment (don't want to shoot through my neighbors houses).

I really like the KRISS, I've rented it before and already own a G30 and the mags would work for my backup... So that fact goes a long way to overcome the cost differential with an AR platform.

Yes, I'm aware I'll need a tax stamp, and I live in Texas, so there no state law issue in the way.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012

2. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

An SBR for HD? NOT a very smart idea!

One incident and the ATF takes it.....FOREVER!!!!!

Get a 12 gauge Remington 870 and call it a day. If that is confiscated, so what? Buy another!!!

TGG

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    Suppressed AR SBR in 9mm!

Great inside a house for HD and you can't have more fun at he range. 9mm is also about half the cost of .223 again so you can shoot it twice as much. It's also welcome at indoor ranges where a .223 isn't.

4. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Yeah...SBR ARs are strictly toys......super loud, super concussive toys. Just get a 14.5" AR or a shotgun.

5. You want both home defense and cheapest on range ammo? If it's a handgun you want go 9mm. Walmart has target ammo for $12 per 50 (Federal) $9 if you use steel cased ammo (Tul-Ammo). Defense ammo is about $20 for 25. If you want a long gun get a 12 gauge. Target ammo is about $6 per 25 (#8 birdshot), and defense ammo is about $6 for 6 (00 Magnum Buckshot). I'd recommend either. Others will recommend different things. It's all what you are comfortable with. I personally have 3 guns loaded and ready to go at all times... My Glock 37 (.45 GAP), Glock 19 (9mm), and my NEF 12 gauge with 00 buckshot. Shotgun is single shot... so I have to have a backup.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3
    NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
    Savage Model 24 - .22LR/410

6. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Nov 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Fixed.. Thanks.

7. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Nov 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    A) SBRs are designed for close quarters.
    B) I'm in Texas, I can legally shoot anybody within my house illegally, will be able to recover my firearm.
    C) shotguns are long guns and are unwieldy in close quarters environments. 12G Shotguns are more concussive than .223 any day!

I did think about getting a 12g Saiga and putting it in a Center Balanced Systems bullpup for CQ purposes. It's not 'as much' range fun as an AR or KRISS, but the ammo variability has distinct advantages.

Thanks, but it's not a handgun that I want. I have plenty of experience with handguns, I'm aware of models and ammo types, prices, etc.

8. S&WShooter

S&WShooter

Nov 21, 2010
    I don't get the idea behind and AR in 9mm or a SBR in .45, if you are going to have a rifle why not use a rifle round??? I get the fact its more easy to hit your target etc. but why not have the extra punch of a rifle round since you are carrying a rifle?

I vote for the SBR AR for that reason.

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    14.5" AR suppressed.......less chance of over penetration vs 9mm or 45

10. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Nov 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Do yourself a favor and find a KRISS to shoot, it's amazing (read a few articles too). I've experienced the joy of rapid fire/same hole! The KRISS is a bit too big for just a pistol due to its engineering marvels, but I could buy the stockless pistol version just prefer the stock. As well, as a tactical SBR its shorter and more accurate than an MP5.

I'm really hoping somebody with a KRISS responds with their experience. It's hard to put it down once you pick it up.

11. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Nov 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    So you'd recommend a 20" AR for CQB home defense? The 14.5"+ suppressor (5-8") is LONG and unwieldy in hallways and doorways.

12. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    You must not have read my post. A pistol caliber carbine has several advantages. It is much cheaper to shoot, has plenty of power with proper ammo, loses nothing ballistically out of a short rifle, suppresses much better, you can shoot it at indoor pistol ranges, etc. All of these may not apply to some, but some apply to all.

13. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Yeah, no....

there have been a few HD/SD shootings in my area involving registered NFA items. Not only have I never heard of the ATF taking them, there was even a local case where the ATF came in and raised hell with the local/county LEOs for taking an NFA item from the homeowner without notifying them.

Edit to add: OP, so long as you keep fast on ear pro with your HD weapon, or get a suppressor to go with it, a SBR in a pistol or intermediate rifle caliber can make an EXCELLENT HD weapon. Compact, powerful, and enough reach to handle threats on your property, too. Top it off with plenty of magazine capacity, and you definitely have a potent weapon. My go-to is a 10.5" AR-15 SBR in 5.56.

14. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Life was much easier 30 years ago. I a friend asked me a similar question I'd just say "M-1 carbine, expanding ammo" and be done with it:dunno:

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Did ya miss the "less chance of over penetration"?!? :dunno:

Don't ask for my for my opinion, then question it! :wedgie:

16. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Even if they're the same OAL, the suppressor on the shorter barrel has some major advantages over an unsuppressed, longer barrel.

17. PettyOfficer

PettyOfficer

Nov 24, 2011
    Houston, TX
    In case you didn't read my post: I didn't talk about over penetration, I implied rounds penetrating walls and then exterior walls and then Neighbors walls - like a .308/7.62/300AAC can.

A 9mm or .45 will not penetrate my house, so your incessance on over penetration is moot. :whatareyoutalkingaboutobviouslynotthissubject:

18. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    5.56 will go through less interior walls than handgun rounds will, as they tend to tumble and break up rather quickly, whereas handgun projectiles (even JHP) tend to stay in one piece.

Even non-fragmenting rifle loads are still going to tumble on impact with a wall, drastically reducing their range once they hit.