close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for one of the best 9mms ever built?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, Jan 25, 2013.

1. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure I agree, but I wouldn't argue with you either. The Luger is certainly a pretty handgun. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Not many

In fact, I don't shoot any of them better. A couple maybe just as good. This Pardini would be one of them. :cool:

[​IMG]

3. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

It wasn't a slam against you as much as it is a slam against every owner of anything.

I have heard people talk about the best gun and it is their 1911, or BHP, or Glock or ......

Just post "Best car" in the General GT area. You will hear about everything from GTO to Trucks. What ever they have is their favourite. OR the car they just can't afford is the greatest.

Best is in the eye of the beholder. (Unless you qualify how it will be used.)

4. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

I love the 08. Probably because I had an opportunity to shoot one many years ago and it was like a laser. I pointed it and hit what I aimed at. It was offered to me, but I couldn't afford it at the time.

Now days I spend my money on items that will be banned in my lifetime.

5. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I hear what you're saying. Everyone looks at the best in a different light.

That being said, I did qualify what I was referring to in the first post. I didn't say it was one of the best combat pistols or that it could take the most abuse. I said from a build quality and accuracy standpoint.

In those terms, you would be hard pressed to find a more capable or finer 9mm. There are some equals, in my opinion, but I feel the 952 is one of the best.

#65 bac1023, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92
    Expand Collapse

Been at the koolaid again, haven't you. :whistling:

Bac, that is a thing of beauty. I truly wish S&W had continued the manufacture of the metal 2nd and third gen guns. Now we live in the world of plastic fantastics. :crying:

7. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Thanks

Yeah, its all about polymer these days. :sigh:

8. PzGren

PzGren
    Expand Collapse

While I agree that the recurring topic of "best handgun", usually later limited by an insanely low budget, is coming up too often, I think you do BAC injustice.

He clearly stated "one of the best 9mm handguns" and gave his reasons why he chose this particular pistol to be among the top guns in this group.

S&W semi autos have never been my cup of tea and I also find many other semi autos more appealing to the eye but then, as you said and we all agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

They make gun grips and even condoms in neon colours these days...

9. Ceapea

Ceapea
    Expand Collapse

I had a chance to buy a new 952-2, 6" a few years back for $1800. Presentation box (metal) and all. A friend of mine knows the gun dept. manager at a Gander Mtn., and ordered one (with no deposit). When it came in, the gun/grip was too large for my friend's hand...he is about 5' 5" tall and has small hands. He couldn't/wouldn't buy it.
    He wanted me to buy it in the worst way to keep him from looking bad.
    And I would have except for two things. First, I'm a lefty, and I called S&W to ask if it could have an ambi safety fitted, by them or any gunsmith. They said no! I still don't know that it couldn't, but that was that. Second, and this is the biggest reason. The stocks that came on that gun were the ugliest pieces of wood I ever seen on a gun, not to mention a $2400 gun (original selling price). It looked as if someone shaved off a chunk of 2x4 and fit it to the gun. Really, light wood, like cheap pine, no grain, nothing. Just plain and ugly wood. I asked S&W if they would trade out the grips and wondered to myself how the gun ever got out of the Performance Center looking so terribly plain.
    No deal from Smith. So I passed. That gun sat in their display case for 4 years, with an asking price of $2400. I'm sure it was handled a bunch and dry fired a thousand times. But, I found out that the sold it several months back, July I think.
    So while some people say a Glock feels like a 2x4 in their hand, I know of a very expensive gun out there wearing a 2x4.
    BAC, your's is very nice!! Beautiful, even!

#69 Ceapea, Jan 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  10. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Thanks

As for the Gander Mountain gun, I'm not sure who made the grips for S&W, but they must have had some ugly wood sitting around. I find the grips on mine to be among the nicest wood grips I own.

As for the ambi safety, it's not going to happen. That is akin to calling Sig in Switzerland back in the day and asking them to put an ambi safety on a P210. These aren't custom 1911s that you can order however you want. These are iconic target guns built one way and one way only.

As I told a friend of mine years ago who is a lefty, don't let that stop you from buying a 952. It's not s carry gun and the safety doesn't lock the hammer anyway. It simply blocks the firing pin.

#70 bac1023, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  11. Bob Hafler

Bob Hafler
    Expand Collapse

Oh good grief. How bad is that? BHP's are fine guns no doubt. The Glock 17 is a good gun also, and it is a popular all around gun for sure, but saying it's one of the best 9mm's every built ,when so many others can fill the same roll with no problems is a bit much. :dunno:

12. Ceapea

Ceapea
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, if it weren't for the ugly grips/stocks, I was really considering buying it. I have been around non-ambi 1911's for years and learned to manipulate it/them safely.
    It was just in the past few months that I bought a 1911 with an ambi, my first one personally. So it really came down to the wood. Looking back, I should have bought it and had custom stocks made. $1800 for a brand new, in box 952, wasn't all that bad.
    Oh well...live and learn.

13. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, especially since the longslide model retailed for $200 or so more than the standard version...

14. crazymoose

crazymoose
    Expand Collapse
    Nonentity

I can't fault Smith for following the money, but it's sad that they gave up on craftsmanship to focus on the production of mediocre plastic guns.

15. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Yep :sigh:

They're not alone in doing that though....

16. Reaver2218

Reaver2218
    Expand Collapse

my first gun was a S&W 5906 police trade in and that thing was a beast it shot anything I put through it and was accurate. and is to this day still considered to be one of the best 9mm out there.

17. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

The 3rd gen Smiths are solid guns for sure. I've got a few myself.

That said, the 952 is a different animal.