Looking for New AR-10

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by glockbanger, Jun 2, 2012.

1. FatBoy

Millennium Member

Mine weighs less than 8lbs w/o scope. A Rem 700 in 308 weighs just over 7lbs.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

na, .308 is my first pick but i dont think its worth lugging the extra 3-4 pounds all day but that depends on the type of hunting you do.

3. That's what I'm doing:supergrin:

Bought the saiga 308 brand new for $590 shipped

4. uzimon

uzimon team ftp

<---wants a .308 ar also. if anything for the availability of relatively inexpensive 7.62 nato surplus. another make to consider would be LMT.
    there's a few .308 ar forums you can read up on

#24 uzimon, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  5. WayaX

Lifetime Member

You say you want a rifle to hunt with. What will you be hunting? Tactics dictate gear; this is true for hunting as well.

You say you want a SD rifle, but usually setting up a SD rifle makes it a pretty poor hunting rifle. Example, a SD rifle should have a red-dot optic, light, and be in a caliber that won't do too much damage if it misses (5.56 is great for this). Ideally for hunting, you'll want a fixed or variable powered magnified optic, no light (unless you really want to be questioned by the game warden), and be in a caliber suitable to humanely take the game that you're hunting.

I would pick which one of these is more important to you, and go from there.

6. glocksterr

DPMS?

splitting hairs again and we are not talking about 700 rems.

i can spilt them too. how much more does the ammo weight?

:dunno:

you add up the gun and spare clips :whistling: and see if my 300 blackout is not 3-4 pounds less on average. after hunting with a semi auto .308 i can tell you it is...

7. Here is ny .308 I just put together under $500. (have trigger guard on order). It shoots great. The rifle with scope (I changed the scope and stock) was $300.00 out the door at Academy Sports. I think Wallys carries Mossberg also.

[​IMG]

#27 vettely, Jun 2, 2012
  8. FatBoy

Millennium Member

Who the heck uses spare clips in an AR? We are not talking about M1s are we? Those are heavy.

As far as splitting hairs...The OP asked about a dual purpose gun for SD and hunting. I guess I assumed we were talking about standard SD and hunting purposes.

you said
    So I compared a standard hunting .308 to my AR10. Showing there was not much difference in weight. Maybe you were not talking to either me, the OP, or his question.

How many extra clipsmags/ammo do you carry when you go hunting anyhow? Fully loaded chest rig maybe?:dunno:

9. glocksterr

an AR10 under 8 pounds? i dont like pencil barrels. but ya, load it up with 50 or so rounds and toss it all on a scale and let me know...

:whistling:

#29 glocksterr, Jun 2, 2012
  10. glocksterr

well i did carry 40 rounds 10+10+20 in .308 plus one or two back-ups guns but i plan on carrying 20+20+30 now. i hunt in a very dangerous place.

:supergrin:

11. i too would like to know what you plan on hunting? 300blk will make similar power to a 30-30 and lots of people use those for hunting.

that said, you can also look into building one. rainier arms sells cmmg lowers or you can get them from tactical machining among others. they are dpms spec lowers. like any other ar build, the parts to pay attention to are the bolt and barrel. most everything else should be fine as long as its in spec. only problems ive ever heard about dpms rifles were a few with out of spec mag wells and lots of mag related problems, which were supposedly solved by magpul.

i plan on building one in the near future but i will be doing an 80% lower ar15 build first.

12. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

The worst thing that can be said of a low end 700 is that it is not a high end 700, but I would think that that is self-evident. Many folks like low end 700's because the intend to customize them so they don't wish to pay for features they are going to change anyway. As for those who save money by buying a rifle with fewer features, then complain about the lack of features, how much credibility are we going to give them?

13. FatBoy

Millennium Member

No pencil barrel, just a standard AR10 carbine. Go to ArmaLite's site and look it up if you'd like.

I never needed 50 rds when I went hunting. I am a better shot I guess.

I think we will all agree that an AR15 sized weapon is lighter, even more so when you add in a full battle load, but that's not what the OP asked for.

The .300AAC is on my list of wants, along w/ a 6.5G. Both would serve someone well.

M1a: I am not sure the .300 quite equals the 30-30, I'd have to look it up. Maybe 300 ft-lb less+/-. That being said, I'd be fine w/ using it for most things.

14. Matthew Courtney

Matthew Courtney Instructor #298

But at 300 yards if you are 10% or so off in range estimation, you miss, or worse, you lose a wounded animal. With a .308 inside of 300, estimating range is superfluous.

15. 6.8 spc would meet your need for SD, hunting, & can be setup between 7-8lbs.

16. glocksterr

with available factory ammo the .300 blackout far surpasses .30-30.

#36 glocksterr, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  17. NBT

NBT

I love my Armalite AR10T, it does sport a Lothar Walther 24" stainless match polygonal rifled barrel. That barrel is a consistent sub MOA shooter. That upper is a chunk though, so I picked up an Armalite 16" upper, which lightened the gun up significantly. Not sure what the weight is on the 16" carbine set up...but I can toss it on the scale later if needed.

As FatBoy stated, not all uppers/lowers are interchangeable...so do your homework if you try and do a build.

18. uzimon

uzimon team ftp

good to hear your success with armalite. the "experts" at m4carbine.net claim the only .308's worth a damn are larue or lmt and another i can't recall atm.
    buying an armalite over those, i'll have enough left over to get a 6920:cool:

19. I hunt hogs with my DPMS LR308T. I say I hunt hogs because I've yet to kill one, but I can tell you I've hiked A LOT with this gun and it is heavy with a 20 rd mag. Not unbearable, but it is heavy. I've owned this rifle for 5+ years and have had no problems. No experience with other manufacturers, but perfect is hard to beat as far as I'm concerned. They are a lot of fun to shoot.

20. I understand you want a 308 AR for HD and hunting. However, if I may make another suggestion. How about a 5.56 AR15 for HD. Then a seconed upper in something like 243, 458 socom, 50 beowolf, or another suitible caliber depending on what you are hunting. You will spend roughly the same ish, but have a pretty good caliber for both worlds.

#40 themighty9mm, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012