close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for my secondary carry options.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by myesque, Oct 19, 2010.

1. myesque

myesque

Dec 4, 2009
    West, TN
    I am new to the CCW world. I have been working with my G23 for 2 years and feel like I am very familiar with the gun. This is my primary carry choice. I am very consistent with it and love the .40 round. That being said, I feel like it gets in the way when I am at work. I am a professional photographer and I need to be very mobile, and I do not want my clients or their families to know I am carrying. So I just don't carry.
    I am looking for a good option for a dress gun. What are my best options? I am a real fan of the baby glocks. The G27 would not be a bad choice, but it seems to still be a bit large.
    I really do not like revolvers.
    What do I go for?
    LCP?
    Lets have it!:whistling:

2. Sounds like the G27 is your best bet. I find mine small enough to easily conceal. Just be sure to wear the appropriate clothing to hide it. If you shoot (pics) wearing a jacket, you are already set! If you walk around a wedding or other public event with just a shirt and trousers, look into the tuckable IWB holsters like Crossbreed and Minotaur. THey make them so you can tuck a dress shirt over the holster and it makes your G27 virtually disappear. If you like the .40 and the Glock platform, save yourself a lot of money and hassle. Get the 27. You'll never regret the decision.

:dunno:

3. HWA GLOCKER

HWA GLOCKER

Sep 23, 2008
    Ohio
    I carry a G26 in the hottest months and a G17 or G21sf in the cold ones, I can tell you the G26-G27 with a M-TAC holster would be your best choice for your job!

4. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

May 1, 2004
    Iowa
    Agreed. The G27 makes a great CCW weapon. I carry mine daily under just an untucked t-shirt. If that's not enough, a light jacket or tuckable holster as mentioned above would work wonders.

5. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005
  6. myesque

myesque

Dec 4, 2009
    West, TN
    I will probably go with the 27. So I can use my 23 and 22 mags in it. :supergrin:

Thanks for the replies.

7. X-Phile336

X-Phile336

Jul 30, 2008
    Southeast Kansas
    Actually, depending on your body frame, I would consider a Galco Underwraps bellyband holster. I frequently wear mine with my G19 or G26 at sternum level (like a shoulder holster) under a loose shirt when I'm at formal occasions. It doesn't offer the fastest draw, but it's better than nothing, and it will not print.

8. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

Jun 11, 2005
    D/FW, TX
    How 'bout switching holsters? Maybe a shoulder rig would work for you on those more formal days? If you want to go w/a smaller gun, think thinner: A Kahr or 3" 1911 should work.

9. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Aug 14, 2006
    Foothills
    Have you considered having a less lethal back up plan such as pepper spray?

Sometimes it makes more sense to add a new tool instead of a second hammer.

Not to say that having a different gun for certain situations isn't a good idea, just that if you have an option that would fill the bill for both back up and times you couldn't carry might be a plan to consider.

10. myesque

myesque

Dec 4, 2009
    West, TN
    Good observation. I do carry a less lethal back up. I carry a Kubotan and I train with it. It works for me as of now. I just like the idea of a smaller "hammer" to hit the nails on the other side of the "table".

11. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

Oct 23, 2009
    I just so happened to have been in a suit, the last 2 Saturdays.
    G27 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, shirt tucked, jacket on and off.

As for shoulder rig, I really like the Galco Miami Classic II. It has slightly wider straps than the Miami Classic, for comfort. I believe another diff is the extra mag holders. The Miami Classic II has horizontal holder w/o strap for two magazines. :wavey:

12. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    Kahr PM40 or MK40

13. diablo_svr

diablo_svr

Oct 10, 2009
    NPR, FL
    My primary carry is a G19. I just bought a Kahr PM9 and a Walther PPS 9mm. They were my choices instead of a G26. You can get both in 40. May want to take a look at them.

14. As a photographer would you be wearing a vest, or at least a shirt and jacket? That could hide the Glock. Or, if you're not yet dead set on a Glock as a CCW, I would also recommend you look at a slimmer gun (there are plenty of just-as-reliable non-Glock CCW pistols out there). A slim gun with a good IWB holster will simply disappear.

15. myesque

myesque

Dec 4, 2009
    West, TN
    I don't wear a vest, but I do wear a Jacket during weddings. But i during the receptions I take that off and go with just a shirt and tie. I am not stuck on Glock but the idea of having a carry "system" is nice.

16. Gear

Gear Silver C/O Silver Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Behind the glass.
    Go with a Glock 27. You Already carry the bigger brother so the Manual of arms is the same. Plus if you decided to carry the 27 as a second gun then the mags will fit each other so no need for the smaller 27 mags. :cool: I'd say its your best choice especially if you primarily wear vests. Or buy two guns and get a Walther PPS in .40. :D

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  17. As a photographer, it wouldn't seem out of place if you (while working) wore a fanny pack.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  18. No need to get hung up on the "carry system" idea. For most, carrying a spare magazine is more than enough.

Plenty of other guns out there that are just as good/reliable as a Glock. Glock is not the end all to pistols.

19. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

Aug 30, 2010
    Kentucky
    Posted from one who is a photojournalist with a gun....

I choose to pocket carry most of the time I am working. On the occasion that I will be working longer events and using my Think Tank harness and pouches, one pouch is reserved for my firearm of choice. A velcro holster works well given the velcro inserts in the skin pouches. Additionally since it sits high I can use the bottom of the pouch for reloads or other smaller items.

PM me and we can talk more.

20. stengun

stengun

Nov 20, 2004
    Bugtussell, AR
    Howdy,

As much as I dislike 9mm's, it sounds you need a single stack Kel-Tec 9mm for pocket carry.

I have thought about buying one myself for I cannot dress to carry my G23/35/20.

Paul