Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Looking for Another Semi-Auto, Possibly a Non-Glock

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Restless28, May 22, 2012.

1. I'm looking to add a semi auto handgun to accompany my 642 carry gun.

I have been looking at the G17 and 21 Gen 4, but my gut is telling me to take a look at the M&P 45, XDM 45 or maybe a used USP.

I'm leaning polymer too. I have no interest in a 1911.

What can you tell me about the non-Glocks such as the M&P, XDM, HK, etc as they stack up against the Gen 4 Glocks?
  2. FTjoe

Apr 3, 2009
    southern maryland
    my friends shoot XDMs in 9 & 40. i've shot them and i shoot them well (they fit good in my hand), but i just don't like the looks. i know, glocks aren't that much better and will not win any beauty contests, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

they don't shoot them enough to give you a long term report, but i can tell you they store just fine in their safes and don't age.

3. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    Have you priced mags for the USP? My buddy in Phoenix,AZ owns one and just for grins the other night while we were talking on the phone we looked em' up. $50 bucks or more, OUCH!.
    XDm45 would be a nice gun to get now that I actually own an XD45 and know a little bit about how it shoots. Glock G21 is also a nice gun but if you shoot lead you'd probably have to get an KKM accessories barrel for it, that's another $165 you'd have to add to the cost of the gun. Don't care if some folks cay you can shoot lead out of a poly rifled barrel, Glock says not to, that's good enough for me.
    M&P is also suppose to be pretty decent but between it and the XD I'd go XD all day long, especially if you're getting the XDm model. JMHO, YMMV.
  4. scccdoc

Dec 28, 2011
    Thinking about a 40 Shield, trying to find someone who has one ....... DOC
  5. svtpwnz

Nov 19, 2010
    I would go for a stainless USP if it is in your budget. They are great shooters, fit very well in my hand and are simply dead sexy!
  6. Sharkey

Nov 21, 2006
    DFW, TX
    The M&P 45c is no slouch and a nice sized accurate carry gun. I like mine.
  7. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    I might be one of the few people who don't like the M&P, But the XDm is a fantastic gun. Look into a Sig as well.
    As for me, I wouldn't carry anything other than my Glock. It comes down to what you're most comfortable with and what you can use effectively.
  8. If I were in the market for a polymer .45 I would go with the M&P45, or if budget allows an HK45.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix
  9. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    It seems like you and I have been following the same path with regard to handguns. I picked up my 642 in January and I love it. It's my EDC and goes everywhere with me, with the DeSantis Clip Grips it IWB's without a holster and half the time I forget I even have it on it's so comfortable.
    Right now with what little shooting I've done with the XD45 I can say that it's a very comfortable gun to shoot. Recoil isn't bad at all, nothing like a 40S&W and really not much more then most 9x19mm guns I've shot. Mags are on sale right now for $22 bucks a pop and even full price is only $28 so they're still not expensive for a 13 round mag. There's plenty of holsters to choose from, the XD has a lot of great features that the Glock doesn't have. I really think you should at lest take a look at one just to see if it'll fit your hand and how it'll feel to you. If you can rent one and put a few rounds through it too. I think the XDm has had a few upgrades done to it over the standard, older XD so if you can find an XDm45 that'd be even better. Nothing against Glock, I think the G21 is a heck of a gun, it's just the XD seems to be a bit better IMHO.
  10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I don't think that my FNP9 is going to stack up against the Gen4 Glock 17. You FNP9 actually works reliably.
  11. If you don't have a 380 the Ruger LCP is a really AWESOME pistol, Fun to shoot, challenging marksman @25' I carry mine in my front pocket every day since I bought it and I love my Glock G20 more than anything. I bought the NRA special addition. Really just a fun little accurate close range pistol. Never in the world did I think I would love it as much as I do..........
  12. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Jan 3, 2006
    Humble, TX
    Get a G36 and be done with it. I've been carrying with mine for 7 years and won't use anything else. I've shot the snot out of it and it always goes bang. :wavey:
  13. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

Jan 23, 2010
    Who knows?
    If you're leaning plastic, than I suggest a Beretta PX4 Storm. They come in three sizes and three calibers. But I'm a Beretta guy and I love mine.
  14. The Beretta looks interesting, but, dadgum, I spotted the 92A1 and M9 on the same page. That's another handgun that I have never owned, but always liked. I shoot them well, too.

Damn, now I'm thinking of a M9.
  15. ponchsox

Apr 23, 2012
  16. Rustin

Oct 12, 2011
    Central Ohio
    M9A1 and never look back!

Wait, BHP and CZ-75 are great as well.
  17. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    I like my USP enough such one of them that it is my daily carry for a decade (although for a year or two I have moved to carry a G26 weekends sometimes.) And I like the M&P a bit better than the G21.
  18. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

Jan 23, 2010
    Who knows?
    All solid choices my friend. The Storm is a under the radar type gun. But it's a solid choice. As long as DA/SA doesn't bother you. I'll tell you, the "batwings" for the safety/decocker can maybe be a bit obtrusive. But they can be changed out for lower profile levers that will convert the gun to a "G" model. Decocker only.
  19. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    There was a local guy(well, Knoxville) that had a Beretta Cougar 45acp up for sale for $400, can't beat that deal with a stick. PX4 Storm would be a good gun in 45acp as well.
    Nothing against the 9x19mm and the 40S&W but I personally think if you stick with the 45acp you'll be miles a head, especially if you handload your own ammo for it.
    Still think you need to give the XD45 and XDm45 a look.