close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for an Automatic Knife

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by milglock707, Jan 16, 2010.

1. milglock707

milglock707
    Expand Collapse

Let's try this in the right forum now.

Does anyone have any experience with the automatic knives from Gerber? I was looking at these and was wondering if they held up as well as the spring-assisted ones do. Additionally, if these are not quite up to par do you have any suggestions for an automatic that are up to par. The main purpose for this knife would be a combat environment and used as a back up to my main combat knife.

Also another poster to stick with the Benchmade, Microtech, Protech, ero Tolerance, and Spyderco for autos. Any input on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks! :wavey:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. tripton

tripton
    Expand Collapse

While at one point in time Gerber may have been a respected maker of quality cutlery, Fiskars have reduced them to little more than a joke in the knife community.

You would be better off trying one of the other brands you mentioned. Any of them would be wiser than a Gerber.

3. milglock707

milglock707
    Expand Collapse

So what I am getting is that the automatics are a pretty poor choice. Any of you have suggestions for a good knife with at least a 3.5 to 4 inch blade then?

4. sentinel208

sentinel208
    Expand Collapse

PM sent.

5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix
    Expand Collapse
    Anti-Federalist
    CLM

Nothing at all wrong with automatics. Gerber Knives just aren't making very good ones.

6. tripton

tripton
    Expand Collapse

Exactly.

7. tall terry

tall terry
    Expand Collapse

Get a good automatic, I carry a benchmade 9100 daily for the last 3 years, great knife. get a benchmade, microtech or protech, I have all 3 of these brands, top notch heavy duty knives, work everytime, don't know about the zero tolerance, or spidies, never owned them, I'm sure they're great also. TT

8. ncglock19

ncglock19
    Expand Collapse

Where's the best place to locate the Microtechs? I'm interested in a Troodon, but all the websites I find list them as out of stock or restricted.

joe

9. Hawk45

Hawk45
    Expand Collapse

Protech, Microtech, Benchmade, Robbie Dalton's.. all good knives. But they will cost you some coin.. the Protech TR3 is a great value in the auto knife world.

10. cliff_dx

cliff_dx
    Expand Collapse
    81 Supporter

i've been carrying a smith & wesson automatic SWAT knife daily for over 5 years and have had no problems with it

11. polizei1

polizei1
    Expand Collapse
    It WAS Quack

:agree: I carry the same, and haven't had any issues with it. I love having an auto. You do need to check your state laws though, as not everyone is permitted to carry autos. But you said for combat use, so I assume you're in the military, therefore, doesn't matter because you are allowed (at least in Ohio).

Although, some people do complain about the weak safety, and I would have to agree. I think my next purchase will either be a Benchmade or Kershaw.

-Cody

#11 polizei1, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  12. deadday

deadday
    Expand Collapse

You should've gotten a Gerber auto knife with one of the RFIs....Gerber is good stuff....I don't have any experience with the Spyderco autos though...