close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Looking for an AIWB holster

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DrewF86, Nov 23, 2012.

1. DrewF86

DrewF86

Jun 12, 2012
    Central FLorida
    So guys, I've recently got an itch to try AIWB. I've tried making some general IWB holsters work for the sake of seeing if I like it, but none of them seem up to the task.

So I'm looking for a good AIWB holster for a G19. I've heard really good things about the Archangel AIWB, but it's $92 for maybe $5 of material, and I just have major heartburn paying that much for so little (and right now trying to make my own isn't an option, I don't have the room to make my own press). I'd like to spend closer to $70 on this if at all possible. Any suggestions?

2. Kentguy

Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH

3. I'm well sold on the N82 professional. Not sure if it'd work for you but you may wish to consider it.

4. I bought a like-new Archangel on AR15.com several weeks ago for $65 shipped. Just gotta look for the deals if you don't want to pay retail.

So far, so good on the holster. I did make a minor modification on it - I temporarily taped a folded-up rag to the body-side of the holster below the belt line, so that it pushes the butt end in more against the body. There is a holster make, Spencer Keepers, that does something similar with a foam wedge attached with velcro, but that holster is ~$150. After I experiment a little with different thickness in folded-up rags, I'll make my own foam wedge.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  5. up1911fan

up1911fan

Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    Skip the AA for AIWB, it does nothing to tuck the butt of the gun for concealment. For my G19 my two holsters are a JM Custom AIWB and a JRC CDA-AIWB. The JRC has the most adjustment option's of any AIWB holster i'm aware of. The other's i'd look at would be the Shaggy or Keeper.

6. Nice. I've never checked out these two makers. I like both the JM and JRC offerings. The velcro-attached foam wedge is what I'll probably try on my Archangel.

7. shogun1975

shogun1975

Sep 1, 2012
    look at the raven systems vanguard II. I like it, it isn't for everyone but it works well for me.

8. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    Uncle Mike's Softie - #12 fits a G26/G27/G30, and I think it was under $20...

Love my Vanguard - Fits ALL my Glocks!

Lots of options, some are outside the box but still VERY effective.

Good Luck with the decision.

Patrick

9. gbanker

gbanker

Nov 5, 2010
    Wa
  10. shogun1975

shogun1975

Sep 1, 2012
    Oh yeah one more thing about the Vanguard II is that it cost less than $40.00 typically...

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    So how do you guys sit down, when the muzzle is pressed against the top of your thigh every time you do? Doesn't it either feel really uncomfortable or push your gun and holster out of your pants? Do you just wear REALLY high pants?

I'm surprised the forum of people who freak out about Mexican carry and clip-draws and who won't use SOB holsters because they might fall down and break their backs, are interested in carrying a gun so that the muzzle is pressed against your femoral artery every time you sit.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  12. A'boy

A'boy fulla hateraid

May 28, 2006
    the Sillbox
    When I sit(I use the Raven ACR), the barrel goes right into the crease between my thigh and pelvis.

You are correct, it takes a bit more caution when reholstering, but for me the pros outweigh the cons when carrying AWIB versus anywhere else IWB.

It's not so much wearing your pants really high so much as wearing your pants correctly.

:wavey:

13. LL6

LL6

Feb 22, 2010
    Off I-40, NC
    Put me down as another very satisfied High Noon Mr Softie fan. However I'm packing a G26, not a G19. Not sure if the little bit of extra height and length would make any difference.

14. I find a slight longer barrel (longer holster body) is more comfortable. I am carrying a G26 mostly but the Archangel fits a G19. The extra helps to lever the gun away from the body below the belt line, and the butt end into the body for better concealment. I occasionally carry the G19; it takes slightly more care to conceal the longer grip, but definitely not by much. If I come across a nice Archangel or similar holster for the G17 in holster forums, I might pick it up just to try.

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    So pointing at you ________ makes it better, not worse?

I can't figure out a single pro to this type of holster. I'm guessing that's why, in many, many years of being around cops and CCWers and competitive shooters, I've never seen a single person I know in the real world carry their gun in that position. Not one.

16. A'boy

A'boy fulla hateraid

May 28, 2006
    the Sillbox
    I've never really noticed it pointing at it, more like it sits next to it.

For curiousity concerns I highly recommend the links provided above about AIWB for those with more experience than myself(only been doing it for about a year now), but with both a G19 and a P30. I learned a lot about it from those links before I jumped in the pool.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I've been carrying a gun for about 25 years and teaching law enforcement, civilians, security, military, etc., in various capacities for about 22. I'm asking the questions because I already know the answers, but others should think about them.

As for pointing next to it, if you gun can point between your legs and isn't pointing at your geniitals when you sit down, you have bigger problems than the holster...or smaller problems, maybe.