Looking for an affordable timer.

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by orangeride, Aug 18, 2014.

1. So I've been shooting some local pistol matches. I've been practicing with a surefire timer app on my iPhone. I've finally reached the limits so I'm looking for an affordable easy to use timer that's pretty reliable. Any recommendations would be nice.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

3. Opinions vary a what features ya gotta have, what's cool, etc, but IIRC, in 1996 I bought a pocket pro and I'm still using it. Pretty affordable also.

4. I have been very happy with my CED 7000, had it about 6 or 7 years. Jim.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Another vote for CED 7000, but they're not exactly cheap.

6. I would need a decent timer too, but they ae not that cheap, and it's impossible to find a second hand one.

7. Do you have a smart phone? There are free apps for that and they do work really well.

#6 AZson, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  8. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

The free Surefire iPhone app works pretty well.

The "tone" volume, of course, is limited to the volume of the phone which may be limited for some people, especially with ear protection on.

For dedicated hardware, another vote for the CED 7000.

9. 9x45

Millennium Member

smart phones are not timers, the apps are not sensitive enough to use for a competition match. If you are just by yourself they are ok. Timers are all about $100, with some CED models going for a little more. I have a 20 year old RUREADY timer and a newer CED7000. It can remember that last ten strings.

10. I think the ten string memory of the CED is a big help in training and practice.