close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Looking for a WWII vet

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by Wmarden, May 25, 2004.

1. Wmarden

Wmarden

Aug 23, 2002
    My father is trying to help a WWII vet find an old buddy, or at least find out what happened to him. I only have a limited amount of info, but can get more later. I don't have a unit or even a branch of the service at this time. I do have a name and a few other bits of info.

The guy we are looking for is/was named Norbert Strauch. He was possibly from Illinois. In 1945 he was 19-20 years old so he would be pushing 80 if he is still alive. He served in Okinawa and was injured. Originally the guy my dad is helping thought he had been killed, but he later found out he was injured. After recovering he was possibly reassigned to another unit. Also apparently he had a real good looking girlfriend at the time as the gentleman my dad is helping rembered that he carried a picture of her in his wallet. (I know lots of guys probably had pictures of their best girls)

No real info pops up in google or other sources my dad has used. I do not know which sites he has used. I would appreciate any info on places to look.

2. NVSeabee

NVSeabee

Nov 1, 2002
    Northern Nevada
    Try checking out the Military Personnel Record Center in St. Louis, that is the main archive for military records.

You should be able to google to get a website. The additional info you get should assist you in one of the find a buddy veteran websites.

Hope this helps

3. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

Apr 30, 2004
    Maybe this guy knows?

Norbert Strauch, (313) 881-8459, 9207 Boleyn St, Detroit, MI 48224

4. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Jul 15, 2002
    Roanoke, VA
    The closest info I could find was this....

NORBERT STRAUCH

Birth date 13 Nov 1918
    Death date 24 Oct 1997
    Social Security Number 376-07-8246
    Where number was issued
    Last residence Zip code 48224

He would have been 25 though in 45. I searched the DOD database also and couldn't find any Norbert Strauch. Which is quite normal for their database on older veterans.