close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Looking for a Molle vest

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by bigmoney890, Dec 12, 2012.

1. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    Looking for a Molle vest, but one that isn't a plate carrier. I neither need plates, nor want the extra price associated with them. Below is a picture of the type of thing i'm looking for, but it's a plate carrier. I want to set it up the way I want and I don't know exactly what that is yet, so that's why I want a molle vest so I can rearrange things as I see fit. Any help is appreciated. Since the Palm defenders are around $200, if I spend anymore than $100 I might as well but the plate carrier and just have the extra protection, just in case I ever "need" plates :rofl: So i'd like to stat under the hundred mark.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Tactical Tailor MAV. I have one with 2x triple mag pouches and a double pistol mag pouch.

However, I'd suggest a belt setup before getting a chest setup. While I have mags on my chest rig, literally everything else goes on my HSGI padded belt - 2x primary and handgun mags, IFAK, knife, dump pouch, water bottle pouch, and handgun.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    What you're looking for is a Chest Harness not a plate carrier. Most plate carriers are similar to the ones you have pictured. Chest harnesses are going to be like the ones WP and I linked. Two different beasts.

4. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    I might could get into that, very similar to what I had in mind.

Does anyone make something that looks like the plate carrier I pictured, but without being an actual plate carrier. I want a vest, if I can help it.

5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    By the time you make something with MOLLE that looks like a plate carrier, it might as well BE a plate carrier.

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Personally, if I didn't have issued ones, I'd get an Army surplus one on Ebay. I'm assuming you aren't looking for a fashion statement and you can probably get a new one for $40-50. Maybe a whole package for not too much.

I may be assuming too much.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  7. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    I don't care if it looks like one or not, I just want an actual vest so I can attach as much as or as little as I want. I don't want one just because it looks like a plate carrier, I want one so I can set it up however I want.

I think my OP might have been misleading in that sense.

8. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC

If I can get one for that cheap, then i'll just get a plate carrier. It's not like i have to put plates in it.

9. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    The thing w/ the ones issued through the Army is they are quite large not allowing for good ventalation.

WP is correct as far as I am aware.

10. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC
    Alright, thanks guys. Looking into some belt rigs now

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    The Army issued vest is not a plate carrier or any sort of armor - it's just a mesh vest with molle attachments, adjustrable quick release belt and zipper up the front.

There are plenty of them available in good shape, because soldiers don't really use them that much, since they actually just put the pouches on their OTV/IBA.

[​IMG]

12. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Condor is basically airsoft-grade stuff. Cheap knock-offs of other companies designs, and not as well made.

13. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Colorado
    Cheap, and made in China, but it is very durable, and better made than a lot of US stuff. I prefer Blackhawk, but same stuff is 3 to 4 times as much.

14. bigmoney890

bigmoney890

Nov 8, 2011
    Boone, NC

damnit. :crying:

15. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    OP, what are you wanting to use this for? Range fun, classes, or just to have around?

MarkCO, the stitching and materials on that stuff aren't up to par.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I just looked on Ebay - real military surplus MOLLE vests got for under $20 - guess the price has gone down since the market has been flooded. I saw them with "Buy It Now" prices under $10. Still under $20 shipped.

17. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Colorado
    How many do you own?

We have several that have seen very hard use that are still kicking. Have two SWAT entry guys and a SORT team guy using them on a regular basis. One is 3 years old and nothing has failed.

Say what you want, but if you think they are crap, then you are not using them.

18. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Not a fan of Blackhawk, either. I'll stick to HSGI, Tactical Tailor, and G-Code.