close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for a gun safe

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KARTMAN90, Jun 3, 2012.

1. KARTMAN90

KARTMAN90

Been reading for the past week and I think it's time to ask for help. I'm looking for a good solid safe. I plan on having a lot of ammo in it. I'm not too concerned about fire cause my house has fire sprinklers but mostly burglary. Been looking at patriot and fort Knox safes. 10-22 long guns. Was also wondering what safes you guys use. Thanks

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Liberty Fat Boy!!

Alarm. Security camera. I wanted to install Halon Gas, but, a lawyer friend suggested that I might have an issue with that.
    (Finding a deceased burglar in my gun room.) :supergrin:

3. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

How big off a safe are you needing, how many guns do you have or plan to have.

:50cal:

4. KARTMAN90

KARTMAN90

I plan on having about 10-12. I got 6 guns right now

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. Don H

Don H

Some good info....

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=ltK-bDbADa8&vq=hd720#t=76

6. Ragnar

Ragnar

You don't need a safe to store ammo. Takes up space better reserved for more guns.

7. DaneA

DaneA

8. TNGlockman

TNGlockman NRA Member

9. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

If you can afford it, get a Fort Knox.

I've owned 7 gunsafes through the years (and still have several) and the Fort Knox is hands-down the best built of them all (except a Graffunder).

The Liberty brand is the best selling safe, and has many extras, but I still like the Fort Knox.

BTW: check Craigslist for deals. I saved $1500 on the last one I bought.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  10. Hippy23

Hippy23 Don't post much

Plus 2, I just got this safe, for $600 its hard to beat.

11. Don H

Don H

Actually for a little more you could get a safe that offers far superior construction / components. That safe is skip welded, uses very thin metal, very poor bolt design and very cheap components. Would only take a few minutes to gain access.

This is the same model safe, a sledge hammer was used to beat on the top seam of the safe. As you can see it didn't fair to well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  12. Bro KV

Bro KV

Costco runs some good deals with free shipping. I got a Cannon Safairi safe and put it in my bedroom. Not the greatest safe but I have dogs and an alarm on the house.

13. Coltlover

Coltlover

Fort Knox all the way.

14. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

15. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER

I recently got a pretty big Mesa. I'm happy with it so far :supergrin:

16. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

I got a Liberty at Gander Mtn. about three years ago. I had to get one a little smaller than I wanted because the wife would only let me put it in an extra bedroom walk-in closet. I'm well pleased with it, but now they have the same safe with bolts on all four sides. Be sure to bolt it to the floor wherever you put it.

17. sombunya

sombunya I Like To Watch

When it comes to safes, you get what you pay for. A powerful abrasive wheel can go through the side of a 700 lb safe rather easily, I suspect, making the contents secure from toddlers. A refrigerator dolly can be useful too. Remember what the guy in the video said; all your valuables are concentrated there (or something like that).

I once had a safe manufactured by Fireking. I think it was a TL15. It weighed 1650 lbs empty. One guy moved it into my home. I had to return it because of a defective fire liner. It was "raining" inside. Seems they had a bad batch. I later found out it was a document safe. That's what I got for not doing my homework.

Also, a good home security system costs about the same as a lightly customized 1911. A good compliment to the safe.

18. lowflyer

lowflyer Capitalist

Safes are a difficult subject to get advice on. Everybody has different needs. For me, I have insurance on the contents of my safe. If anything gets stolen or burned up, I get a check for the replacement value. My primary goal was to have a place to put my guns that was easy and convenient to lock up away from kids. Secondarily, I wanted something that would be a bit of a deterrent and maybe a distraction for a burglar. Last, I figured since the ones with decent locks on them all have some fire protection, I figured I might as well get some of that too. I ended up getting a Liberty FatBoy Jr. I think it is doing its job. None of my guns have been stolen or burnt since I started using it.

19. Averageman

Averageman

If I was going to advise you on safes I would say, "Always get the next biggest size." Those things fill up really fast.
    No safe is foolproof and any can be beat, but when correctly placed in your home and backed up by locked doors a dog and a security system it is time prohibative for someone to hammer and chisle the roof off of your safe.
    As long as they can't haul it out the door, or pull it off of the floor and if it is located in a closet where you can't swing a hammer or use a cutting torch without setting fire to the whole house,..well, a smart crimminal will move on to easier pickings.

20. spotco2

spotco2

AMSEC BF Series