close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for a good pair of clear shooting glasses.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by lbm, Sep 25, 2006.

1. lbm

lbm

I am looking for a good pair of clear shooting glasses. Up until now I have been using my regular glasses but they are progressive lens and either the rear sight, front sight or target is clear and the other two are blurry. Second, while shooting at the Michigan GSSF shoot a couple of weeks ago one of the RO was hit by splash back on the Glock the plates section. While there was no penetration it sure looked like it hit him harder than my glasses could have withstood.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    lbm Michigan

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i have 3 pairs of oakley M frames i use to shoot in. yellow, rose, and plum w/polorized lens. they're good but ranged in cost form 120 to 200 dollars. you can get generic safety or shooting glasses most anyplace.

3. lbm

lbm

4. GJM89

GJM89

Check UVEX, approx. 10 dollars, scratch resistant , coated with antifog, adj. for length and temple angle.

5. USMC06

USMC06 USMC Retired

After using many types of shooting glasses over the decades, I now use (based on my son's recommendation) Gargoyles safety/shooting glasses. Absolutely no distortion. Rated to take a direct hit from a .22. I don't even notice them on. I also use them for my bike riding. They go for about $80. You may get them cheaper on e-bay.

6. sectionIV

sectionIV

I've been using ESS Iceshield with nylon prescription insert for several months. I like the idea of being able to change shields, but I've only used the clear one so far. I've had the right temple disconnect from the shield - it's easy to reattach if you have your hands free, but frustrating if you don't.

They have the ICE Naro for smaller faces now.

7. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

I use those, they are good, but I like the M Frames better. Grant it they are a fraction of the price, and I am a price per performance guy, I'm getting another set of M Frames.

BTW, I got mine from: http://www.mle-shootingsports.com/

and the service was excellent.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I went to the Gall's warehouse sale in September and they had clear Gargoyle's and Wiley X's with multiple lenses on sale.

EDIT: Never mind, I thought I was in Bluegrass Glockers, rather than GSSF, so that suggestion only applies to Kentucky locals.

9. rumpletzer

rumpletzer

I've owned two pairs of Gargoyle 85 safety glasses for the lab, and I absolutely loved them. They were so light and comfortable. I'd wear them for eight or twelve hours a day, and they were great.

The first pair I bought with the side shields. The clip that held them to the glasses quickly broke, and I didn't bother to buy side shields for the second pair of glasses.

Both pairs of glasses were lost to breakage in the center of the one piece lens assembly (between the eyes and above the nose). The middle trim which also supports the nose piece on the 85s is held in place with screws that go through the one piece lens assembly. The holes through that narrow region makes it a weak point. As much as I liked the glasses, I didn't want to shell out another $85 for a third pair.

I now use the $10 UVEX glasses supplied by the lab. None have ever broken... at least not before my lab mates steal them.

10. emikysa

emikysa

If you're interested in shooting glasses for use with earmuffs, you might check out SoundVision by FullPro. They attach to the outer surface of the muffs using Velcro-like straps, so they don't break muff seals like traditional shooting glasses.

You can find more info at: www.fullpro.com

Full disclosure: I invented SoundVision and run FullPro.

Best,
    Erik

11. Kyglock22

Kyglock22

I'm very happy with the Oakley M Frames that I bought. I personally like the clear lense with the clear nose piece. Good thing about the M Frames is that you can swap out various lenses accoring to your shooting situation. They are very pricey, but I find the comfort and versatillity of them worth it. Hope this helps.

Mike

12. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That sounds like the standard description of what a sight picture is SUPPOSED to look like - the clear one is supposed to be the front sight.

For clear glasses, I like Wiley X Romer II's - you can also get them in light transitioning lenses and you can get them with prescription lenses (any color).

13. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Lately I just go to the Home Depot power tools section and look over their offerings.

Here locally they have a selection of inexpensive (about $10) clear and tinted safety glasses that are both comfortable and also look surprisingly good on the range as well.

Your clunky old High School Shop goggles?

Not!

Every time I put out $85 or $100 for glasses I end up losing, scratching, or breaking the darn things so I just go with the HD specials.

14. Adam5

Adam5

I was actually looking at the SoundVision. My local range sells them. They seem like a great idea. When my glasses that I got at the inustrial supply house are in need of replacement (which should be soon)i'm going to get a pair.

15. emikysa

emikysa

Excellent. Thank you for your consideration Adam.
    Best, Erik
    Founder/President FullPro Protective Gear
    http://www.fullpro.com

16. stubbicatt

stubbicatt

DeCot Hy Wyd seem to work pretty well for those of us with prescription lenses. They are in Arizona, and I have used this product now for many years.

These other contributors may know better, as these glasses are sort of old school.

17. drcohen

drcohen TetraGunCare

ESS ICE 2.4s are very highly rated, certified by the U.S. Military, and priced lower ($35-$40) than a few new brands that claim to be awesome - $100+ for shooting specs is a waste.