close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Looking for a Good Home Defense Shotgun

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by thinktwice, Jun 15, 2010.

1. thinktwice

thinktwice

Mar 29, 2007
    North Carolina
    I am looking for a good reliable tactical home defense shotgun, and hoping some of you guy can help me out. I want an 18" (12ga) barrel either pump or auto. My budget would be in the $300.00- $600.00 range. I do realize I am not going to find too many auto loaders in this price range but would like to. So a pump will be just fine. Would like it to be parkerized or a similar finish. Any of you guys have any ideas?

2. B Coyote

B Coyote

Jul 3, 2001
    NW Indiana
    Clicky

or

Clicky

Use the extra money in your budget for ammunition and training.

bc

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  3. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I never get tired of this age old question!

If you go pump, trust your life to a plane Jane Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500. You might get one used for $200 $250-ish?

If you have $600 as you mentioned you can get what a few of us here have which is a Benelli SuperNova Tactical which I love so much I even made a youtube video review of it.

Here is a Benelli SNT that I paid $450
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKIUaiLc0yU Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlTrx8c-eOs&feature=related Part 2

Or a Mossberg 930 SPX semi auto which hovers around $650 $700 depending where you live. I love this one so much I made a video review of it too!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsGflzPXvQU

I personally went through a bunch of shotguns until I figured out what I really wanted (comparing price and features) In the end just buy quality so you only have to buy once and hopefully the gun will out live you.

Just remember not all cheap or old shotguns are reliable even if its a big name. Inspect them and test them before they serve you and your family if they are old and used. Here is an example of a Police trade in of an 870 that malfunctioned on the gun salesman. You dont want this happening when your home is being invaded.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MadOgre#p/search/0/0XH71VJ5c_0

4. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA
    BudsGunShop - Home Defense Shotguns - Take your pick.

If you want a 870 built for you, talk to JD.
    AIPTactial

After having a 870 express, and selling it to fund other interests... I'm now back to wanting another 870. Probably one of the Talo editions...
    [​IMG]

5. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    any sturdy 12 gauge that's fairly compact will do. Getting a 20" barrel allows choke tubes, with an 870.

NOT having a choke is just silly. There's no reason to do without it, and every reason to have it. Plain foster slugs work better through a modified choke, you might JUST want to shoot a turkey sometime, or a deer, or even quail. It is a matter of a few dollars to greatly expand the utility of the weapon.

Which weapon? Winchester 1300s work with aguila mini shells. Ithacas can be slam fired.
    870s are the popular 'go to'. Mossberg 590A1 is mil-spec and sturdy as a brick church.

There isn't a BAD pump 12 gauge if it shoots and doesn't have a yard of barrel. Even clones are sufficiently reliable if the budget is tight enough, or old recycled riot guns with road rash..

Turn it around. How cheap and shabby does a 12 gauge have to be, before YOU will walk into it? Those aguila mini shells make a 7+1 a 9+1.....

6. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

Feb 12, 2007
    Northern Ohio
    This sits next to my chair in the TV room. Light, laser and Tamer grip. It's fun to shoot, too.
    [​IMG]

7. For just a few bucks more you could get a 19" Siaga.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/37_863/products_id/411536444

Although a plain Jane Mossberg 500, Remington 870, Benelli Nova, or Winchester 1300 would work just as well.

8. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Remington 870 HD model # 25077. 18.5" barrel, bead sight, cly bore, Remington two shot LE extension, synthetic stocks. Around $350 most places depending where you live.

9. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Jan 16, 2010
    Whatever you do, don't listen to mix! LANGUAGE VIOLATION EDIT

PSYCHE!! Actually he's dead on, not only did I also get those two same blacktikal boomsticks but his reviews/explanations were invaluable, and I still thank him.

And truth be told if I decide to ever get a Remington, I would definitely consider one of Mr. McGuire's hooked up ones.

But as they said, there's no reason to NOT get a cheap pump shotgun for simply HD... Most people here seem to buy expensive AR rifles and scoped rifles, etc... and also expensive handguns, and go simple/cheap on shotguns.

I went classic with a Glock handgun, fairly costly/very nice shotguns (which I am proud of), .22LR's for fun, and a fairly cheap (and brand new) "battle/bigboy" rifle.

Ass backwards, but then again thats the story of my life. :) Your Mileage May Vary, of course.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010
  10. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

Aug 21, 2006
    Just OK
    870. Can't go wrong with that. +2 extension. Vang comp big head safety and follower and you're good to go.
    I go mine done on a used action with the above for $150.

11. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Jan 16, 2010
    You're sure right! You had certainly better lay off them! Perhaps consult your primary care physician for a more adequate and comprehensive evaluation of your medication? It appears they've ceased effectiveness or you've ceased proper consumption? Although I am told it can be the heat; that is, the increased temperature in the summer months leads to increased perspiration, which leads to medicine being excreted via sweat and therefore cessation of adequate and/or proper levels being maintained in the body...

You should see if that's your problems!

12. tnedator

tnedator Lifetime Member

May 22, 2009
    Ok, I'm in the same market. I've been looking at the Mossberg 500 models. Was just debating between the cruiser type (no butt stock) or the SPX tactical, which has an adjustable butt, plus real sites. Not sure if it has or can use a choke (other than a 20 gauge I have had for years, I am pretty shotgun illiterate).

My primary purpose would be a self/home defense gun, but the reason I lean towards a model with a stock is so it can double as a hunting weapon (in a pinch/SHTF situation).

Difference between $300 and $600 isn't a deal breaker for me, so are their others that agree on the Benelli SuperNova Tactical? Let's say in the $400-700 range, what is the best all around tactical shotgun, which can do double duty for hunting if needed?

13. This should be the most common, popular and correct answer.

14. ZTMIKE

ZTMIKE

Apr 10, 2010
    USE A PM THIS IS NOT A SALE FORUM-moderator

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010
  15. sambeaux2249

sambeaux2249

Dec 4, 2006
    Louisiana
    I would recommend either a defense/hunting combo gun.... You can find these based on both the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870... You probably don't want an extended magazine for that... In the case of the 870, you'd have issues with game wardens.. and in the case of the mossberg, there are no long barrels for the 8-shot model. There's also no long barrels for the Mossberg 590.

Even better, if you're willing to spend as much as $600... Buy TWO shotguns... One set up for defense, one set up for hunting. You won't have to worry about swapping barrels, or remembering to put in the magazine plug... You should be able to pick something up for ballpark $300 each... If not, spend $400 on one, and get a $200 Maverick or Pardner pump for the other.

Sam

16. tnedator

tnedator Lifetime Member

May 22, 2009
    Sam, thanks for the info.

To clarify one thing, I don't hunt anymore. I did when I was young, now for a whole variety of reasons I don't, and don't plan to. I am looking for something for the primary purpose being self/home defense, but that could double as a hunting gun in the unlikely even of a real SHTF situation. If that occurred, game wardens wouldn't be an issue.

17. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Both the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 easly fit the bill as a combo home defense and hinting shotgun since in essence they are basically built off of hunting guns in the first place. Tons of aftermarket options for both worlds for these 2 guns.

The Benelli SNT is a dedicated fighting shotgun so buying a separate hunting barrel with chokes will be harder (if not impossible) to find in any shop. Plus the barrel will cost just as much as a complete hunting 870 or 500.