close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Looking for a decent bike without breaking the bank.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Homechicken, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Homechicken

Homechicken

I've gotten on a fitness kick lately, mainly because I need to lose 40 pounds or more. Well, only 30ish now, I've dropped 12 pounds in the last 4 weeks just by walking 1 to 3 miles a day. I find that the more I do it the more I want to, but I'd like to change things up a little and thought a bike would be a good idea. I'm thinking along the lines of a hybrid. Something that'll handle light off road, but mostly paved trails and roadways. MY BIL has a Trek hybrid that set him back about $600 a couple of years ago and I've ridden that enough to know I like it, but wow, way too much money for a bike IMO, unless you are a competitor. I want something a step up from the typical Walmart bike, but don't want to spend $200+ on a bike either. Preferably $150 or less. I really don't even know what brands are decent. Any ideas would be appreciated. I've been watching Craigs List for used ones, but haven't seen much. Everything has been either too old and beat up or too new and expesive.

2. OdinIII

OdinIII

It's hard to get even a used quality bike for less than $350.

Maybe look on Craigslist for an entry level mountain bike that cost $450-$600 new and send every seller a low offer and see what happens.

3. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

Agreed. Your budget is too low for anything but a walmart bike or something stolen.

4. jeager

jeager

Check one of the local shops and see if there're any good used ones.
    Fit is most important. A hybrid and not a mtn bike will be more comfortable.

5. Breadman03

Breadman03

Your budget really limits your options, but since you are "new" to riding, a properly fitted WallyWorld bike could be a decent option. While they aren't the highest quality, I think most of the bad rap is due to the maintenance habits of the typical WallyWorld consumer.

6. Resqu2

Resqu2

I mountain bike a lot and if your doing it for the weight loss only then don't bother, stick to walking or jogging. Now I'm not saying its not good for you in a lot of ways but me and the ones I have always rode with have never lost a pound. It's a blast but you do need to increase your budget just a little at least.

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

You might be able to find a Giant Cypress, used, in your price range on CL.

8. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Look for an old (90's) Trek 800 in good condition, These usually go for $150-175 and are built like tanks. I recently donated mine since I bought a new Wahoo, and after 14 years of use, it was still in great shape.

Other than that, and similar old bikes, you're pretty much stuck to Wal-Mart.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  9. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

I've also seen a couple Giant Sedona's that look little used on the CO Craigslists for $180-$220.

I've been looking at bikes on CL for a few months just to see what's out there. Any decent model of mountain bike in your price range will likely have worn out forks, brakes, derailleurs, etc., that could easily eat double or triple your investment in repairs to get it in trail worthy working condition. Buyer beware.

With luck and patience you can get into a bike for little money. But it's important to keep in mind that there's a lot of technology, materials, parts and labor that goes into manufacturing a bicycle. You get what you pay for. Efficiency, reliability and durability don't come cheap, and generally you pay for it up front, or in the end.

Would you want to buy a used Glock or a used Lorcin? Which one will be the better value for reliability, repairability, and resale?

Recently (I tuned up my old road bike and bought a new entry level mountain bike, a Giant Revel 1 (~$460 + accessories), because I want to get back in shape. I've been riding the hell out of the Revel, almost every day, and on some pretty rough rocky mountain trails. I've been sore all over ever since but it's done wonders and I feel much stronger than just 2 months ago. And, it's been a lot of fun traveling farther and faster on trails than I could on foot.

So far my bike has worked flawlessly and I like it enough to upgrade to better components when it becomes necessary. Here it is on a ride I took to Brainard Lake (10,260 ft.) and beyond to the Indian Peaks Wilderness. The pic shows the top of the Continental Divide from about 3 miles east.

[​IMG]

10. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

No. They are crap. Complete waste of money.

OP, you're either going to have to up your budget or really, really shop a long time to find something decent at that price point.

IMO you also need to decide where you want to ride: trails or pavement. An MTB is going to become miserable on the street very quickly. A "hybrid" isn't a hybrid between trails and street, its just a more upright roadie.

$600 isn't the competitor point, not even close. Generally speaking $1000 is the entry point for decent components and an aluminum frame, $2000-$2200 for carbon, though I hear that has gone up. Hell, I have a carbon bike that stickered at $12,000 and another at $3600.

Again, you will regret a Wal Mart purchase.

11. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

That's bizarre. Its about the best big calorie burn with little impact. Most folks take a long time to get up to a 1-2 hour run but can get up to a 1-2 hour bike fairly quickly.

12. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

And they also burn about 1/2 the calories during that bike ride as they would on foot. That is why biking is not a very efficient way to lose weight.

Biking is a great way to get exercise during your daily commute (if you are able to bike to work), but is not a great way to get exercise in lieu of other higher intensity exercises.

13. OdinIII

OdinIII

Please explain this to me. If they both go for the same amount of time at the same intensity wouldn't the calories burned be very close to equal?

14. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I don't want to butt in... But I recently started a running program so that I could run a 5k without feeling like I got hit by a truck. I am not an efficient runner and even a 20 min run causes me to expend much more energy than an hour bike ride.

Maybe it's the coasting or the ability to shift between muscle groups to conserve energy...but I can mountain bike for a couple of hours at a pretty good pace and not feel wiped out after...but the aforementioned 20 min light jog uses me up.

Maybe things would be different if A) I did not "run" like a wounded Sasquatch...or B) I was on a road bike maintaining a pace...but many people (cardio challenged clydesdales like me) can conserve and expend energy on a mountain bike pretty well.

Between laughing, mocking, and generally harassing each other my riding partners and I manage to cover a lot of ground without a complete energy dump. For me it's like powerlifting. A huge expense of energy followed by recovery, rinse and repeat. Both are an effective workout, but cardio wise 30 min of running is way way tougher.

15. OdinIII

OdinIII

This is an important point and why I recommended a MTB. A mountain bike should hold up to jumping off curbs, hitting pot holes, and other abuse much better than a roadie. I've rode a Trek hybrid some and CF is correct, it is basically a road bike with slightly different geometry and bars.

16. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Cycling is probably the most energy efficient forms of transportation (more efficient than cars, motorcyles, walking or running).

http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

As I said a bike is a great form of transportation that gets you some exercise, but you have to do it a lot longer to get the same benefit as other forms of exercise. Most people are trying to maximize the benefit while minimizing the time spent exercising, biking does the opposite.

If you have an unlimited amount of time to spend exercising then you could use biking for fitness, but most of us have other time commitments (work, school, family) that lead us to use higher intensity forms of exercise.

17. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

To the OP... It may not seem like it but there is some sage advice here. A low quality bike is like running in poorly fitting shoes, you stand a good chance of avoiding the activity because the enjoyment is gone.

If you are strictly looking for fitness, look at road bikes. You can get many decent used road bikes for less than a comparable MTB on CL around here. Old road bikes are heavier, but generally are abused less than older MTBs...and heavy just means more calories used.

For the record I ride MTB, and if that is your choice as well you just have to look hard and ask friends. Lots of riders have an old bike in the garage and might consider loaning or a little owner financing. I have an old Trek 6500 that I am replacing soon and have decided to just hang onto it as a buddy bike or spare, just an example.

Hit up pinkbike dot com and look in their regional classifieds if CL doesn't pan out...but whatever you do get out and pedal something! Half the fun of MTB riding is the people you meet and the community of dedicated riders. Get out there and meet some folks and don't be afraid to ask questions, the learning curve is steep and in no time you will know a lot more than you do now and can make better decisions about future bikes and gear.

18. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

It greatly depends on what you mean by "riding" because it can be as high intensity as you'd like all the way up to puking. You can definitely burn mega calories riding. Per mile? No. Per hour yes

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

It's also outstanding if you're just getting back into, or into for the first time, working out at anything. It doesn't screw your knees up near as much as running does when you're starting out and the odds of getting a stress fracture cycling are pretty close to nill. It's possible but you've got Vegas odds against it.

20. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Amerikaner

hmmmm, I guess the 40 lbs I lost cycling was my imagination. You can't ride and then feel you've earned the ability to eat and drink like a pig. In all things moderation.