close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Looking for a cheap knife

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by Arr6, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Arr6

Arr6 .com

Apr 20, 2009
    Illinois
    I'm looking for a cheap knife for travel but almost disposable. I always hear of knives going missing in luggage. So I don't want to worry about taking my more expensive blades and plan to get a few of them.

So can I get something under $50 that is still good quality?

I would like a liner lock with plain edge around 3 inches.

For some reason I don't like spidercos so anything but that.

2. JohnKSa

JohnKSa

Sep 8, 2000
    DFW Area, TX

3. 22collector

22collector

Sep 11, 2005
    Salem, VA
    You have a lot of options. But the best sub $50 I have found except it has a frame lock which I trust much more than the liner is the Kershaw OD1.

4. TheHunt

TheHunt

Nov 28, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    My choice wold be a Byrd Cara Cara or a Tenacious.

Ziptie them inside yout luggage, so it will not get "lost"

5. Richard Simmons

Richard Simmons American Icon

Jul 29, 2006
    VA
    Spyderco Tenascious, Persistance or a Buck Vanatge Pro. The Pro is particularly nice as it has S30v steel which is almost unheard of in the less than $40 price range. I'd recommend Cuttlery Shoppe dot com for both price and excellent service.

6. farley45

farley45

Feb 23, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have a nice Benchmade somewhere that is exactly what you said. It even had a bottle opener on it!

I'll try to dig around and find it. I think I paid $30 for it at a sporting goods store.

7. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

Sep 4, 2006
    I travel a LOT. I've spent most of the last year in Iraq, but I also spend a lot of time in hotels, containers, and tents all over the world...sometimes 300 days a year, or more. I don't take cheap knives with me.

I take a check-in, and carry duplicate knives in there. I'd rather risk losing a good knife than be stuck with a cheap knife on the road.

You can buy good knives inexpensively online, especially in classified ads and auctions. Buy several good knives for a good price and carry those. That way you have a quality tool that still won't hurt if it's taken or lost.

8. I'm not much of a knife snob, but I really like the SOG Flash II and you can find them under $50 if you look around.

9. I'd never spend over $50 for a knife. That's ammo money, man!

I carry one I picked up at the mall. 440 stainless spring assisted made in china. It's under the stupid 3" blade rule here in MI and clips into my watch pocket. I carry it every day and love it.

It cost me a whopping $7 on sale 50% off.

Is that cheap enough? :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  10. lwt210

lwt210

Nov 28, 2001
    Alabama
    Why not a Spyderco? (Spyderco Tenacious-well under 50 bones on line). The one I have is a plain edged model and it is a fine knife for the cash. I know you posted that you didn't want a Spyderco but I have tons of blades and the Tenacious is one of my favorites.

If you still aren't convinced, I'd go with Kershaw. Fine knives for the money too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EI7578...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001EI7578

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  11. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Kershaws at Wal-Mart. Most under $40 and good knifes.

12. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Sep 14, 2008
    I personally am a fan of the foldable blades that have the box cutter razor blade that is really simple to replace.

Some of you know what I'm talking about. I don't know exactly what they're called, however.

Cheap and reliable. Can't beat that.

13. Convert

Convert Glocks 'n Sigs

Sep 12, 2007
    The Front Range
  14. I also vote for knives that are sold at Wal-Mart. Remember,a wonder knife is a knife that if lost,you don't wonder where you lost it:rofl:. Good luck in your quest for the right knife.

15. kayakjax

kayakjax

Nov 30, 2009
    Western Kentucky
    I have to agree with the other guys:

I think it's hard to beat a Kershaw (from any Wal Mart).

If you get a Scallion or Leek with the Ken Onion Speed-Safe Opening System (I got my last one for about $50), I guarantee you'll love it.

16. well most brand name hypes WONT fall in the 'cheap knife' category but many "Inexpensive Knives" will:supergrin:

I vote for a Kershaw Skyline, weights about 2.4oz and is awesome for around $30 amazon, or $34+ tax walmart. i have one that's my current carry and holds an edge real nice, sharpens super easy, locks tight, G10 handle and feels just right in the hand..

I wont recommend spyderco as you mentioned you don't like (probably the hole).. but my next edc/utility will be the tenacious, full grind, cant beat the money for sure..

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010