Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Looking at Smith and Wesson M&P-15/5.56

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by carloglock19, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hello,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I'm looking at a S&W M&P-15 Standard 5.56. This will be my first personally owned AR. I do have experience with M16/M4s that Uncle Sam has issued to me throughout my MIL career and have been looking to buy one at a good price. I will purchase it from Buds LE/MIL Supply for $865 and will be eligible for the S&W Nation's Finest rebate ($100) since it’s not the Sport or 15-22 version. Any M&P-15 owners out there let me know what you think. Thanks for your feedback in advance.<o:p></o:p>

2. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    I like the M&P15T model, and think it's worth the additional money. I own a first generation 15T, and really like the changes they made for the latest version.

3. bullittmcqueen

bullittmcqueen Gunfighter

Feb 18, 2011
    Leesburg, GA
    That is a solid deal for a solid rifle.
  4. bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    The smith M&P15 was the first AR i bought. I love it, not a single stoppage ever. I plink with it, and hunt coyote with it. They are great, solid rifles.
  5. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009
    Before I decided to go with LWRC, I had an M&P15 MOE and I never had a single issue with it. It was a great buy for the money! Even for the money, I'd say it was a great deal! :wavey:
  6. mrjinglesusa

Sep 15, 2009
    Great weapon. Can't go wrong with an S&W M&P-15.
  7. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    It's a great choice, esp for that price.
  8. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    OMG!!! S&W isn't on The Chart!!!:shocked:

Nope, don't buy it, it'll fall apart!!:rofl::rofl:

Easy folks, it's comedy, just joking around.:supergrin:
  9. 93GT

93GT The Ogre

Jul 6, 2002
    I bought the T a while ago. It has been a good rifle, no complaints, not selling it ever if I can help it. I think I will go with BCM if I build one in 223/5.56 1 in 7 twist to join the S&W.
  10. MistoGators

MistoGators 0331 - Guns Up

Jan 29, 2010
    If you're looking at the T model, you should know that the newer one doesn't come with the Troy rail and sights.
  11. Nooooooooooooooo:crying:
  12. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Ya know, that's what I thought at first. Then I perused S&W's web-site, and they still offer the original version of the M&P15T that has the Troy Rails and sights. Of course, it's quite a bit more expensive than the newer version, but both versions are on their site for sale.
  13. I'm going to purchase the standard model, not really looking to build right away maybe in the future when I gain more experience. They are out of stock on the MOE version with the Magpul stuff which they had at the same price. I think this will be a great starter for me. Thanks for the advice as always fellow GT'ers!
  14. No problems at all with my new Sport after 800 rounds. I imagine the 'regular' model would be just fine.
  15. boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    For $765 you could do worse. Your getting a decent rifle for what your spending. I wouldn't spend a bunch on upgrades. Enjoys, when your ready for add-ons, build your own rifle with what you want on it.
  16. dvrdwn72

Nov 26, 2010
    good ar. I have one and enjoy the heck out of it. No issues with it at all. They are all about the same stock wise, go for it. You can always upgrade it later.
  17. Feanor

Feb 28, 2010
    FYI, for about $150.00 more you can land yourself a Colt's 6920 from the very same outfit thats gonna sell you that S&W.
  18. I already ordered it, now I'm adding another caliber to my collection. I'm going to need a second job just to buy ammo this is my 3rd new caliber added this year. :supergrin:
  19. Finally made up my mind and I upgraded to the M&P15X from Buds and will mount an Aimpoint P.R.O on it. I like the option of having an A2 post for the front sight and a folding rear sight plus quad rail. Can't wait to get my hands on it :supergrin: I think it will be a good set up for my first AR. I dug up an old 2 point sling and an issued cleaning kit from one of my sea bags!
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  20. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    They're solid rifles. I'd rather have a Colt or a BCM but for the money, they do work well.

EAG Tactical ran 14,000 rounds through 3 of them in a few days under hard use conditions (no cleaning, no babying, during classes) and they held up fine.

I have an M&P15 i acquired after PCSing and getting out, the Obamathon Gun Sale scare was still going on and I couldn't get anything else.