close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Looking at boolits at the store

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by rgregoryb, Feb 6, 2013.

1. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    Why does everybody want to open a box of ammo and gaze at a cartridge , even FMJ? Do you envision it cutting a deadly path through a bad guy or deer? Does it reveal the ballistics to you in a telepathic or surreal manner? Or is it because it is tradition?

2. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I can't explain it, but I do it also. Curiosity I guess, but also because most stores wont refund or exchange ammo once it leaves the store. I have gotten screwed a couple of times buying boxes with rounds missing.

3. bug

bug

Feb 6, 2007
    This always make sure its a full box...

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. Want to see if any got mangled in the loading process, box is full. and if its the first time ive seen or thought about buying a box I want to see what type it is. Meaning one time i grabed several boxes in various weights as a test to see wat the SR9c would "digest" weight size(got 115,124,147 grain) id not used the 147 before so I opened it up(American Eagle i think was brand) thinking id see a round nose I saw this instead

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...m-luger-147-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50

not quite a round nose is it...figured after that id check to see what im getting if im getting something different or new that ive not gotten/bought before. Shot well in the test as did everything.

I dont open up a box of WWB or Balzer to look at the rounds just to be sure its full and none are mangled.. I know what they are...but like last time I went in I opened a box of Hornady Critical Duty just to see what it looked like..swithced over to it as my CC round also. I just wanted to check out the little plastic/rubber widget that goes in the hollwo point to see how stable/secure it was.

5. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    most the people in our store only look at one....

6. DonD

DonD

Dec 21, 2001
    Central TX
    Hate to say it but what's with people calling "bullets" "boolits"??

Is this supposed to be cute or what? Call them slugs, bullets, projectiles etc. Don

7. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    buy a sense of humor, for when you put boolits in a clip

8. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    I do it cause they shiny and pretty to look at.

9. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Jul 10, 2001
    Alabama
    I always say you shouldn't call it a boolit unless you cast it yourself over a buffalo chip campfire.

10. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

Feb 25, 2007
    NW Missouri
    I've never opened a box and checked it out. Then again I also rarely buy from a retail store.

11. 10mm Sonny

10mm Sonny

Jun 30, 2006
    I have a H&K, so I put the boolits in my clips backwards.

12. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011
    With QC being what it is today it's best to check them, but only once you've brought them to the counter in order to buy. Most places I know don't allow the Gomers to grope the ammo as inevitably they tear the boxes and nobody buys a taped up box.

13. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

Jan 26, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I'll tell you why I open the box at Wally World...

Back before the meteor landed and made ammo extinct, I bought a box of 100 WWB .40 S&W on the way to the range. When I opened the box (at the range in the middle of the frickin desert) it contained two black trays, each full of .45ACP. No kiddin.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  14. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    H&K will actually turn them around as being fed into the chamber..................:supergrin:

15. DonD

DonD

Dec 21, 2001
    Central TX
    I have a sense of humor, that one just doesn't do it for me. I prefer accurate terminology.

No big deal, keep up the casting and reloading! :wavey:

And I too am guilty of occasionally looking at factory ammo in calibers I don't have. Don

16. Redheadhunter21

Redheadhunter21

May 6, 2012
    Miami
    I do it on every box I buy, looking to make sure it's a full box of the right ammo, and look for anything like missing primers or marked up rounds

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire