close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Looking at a new laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Lethaltxn, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    Looking at a new laptop (Asus UL20FT-XA1), but I can't find any reviews on this particular model. Does anyone know anyone that has any experience with this model? I'm thinking it would be a better option than a netbook.

Here are the Specs:

Asus UL20FT-XA1
    Intel Core i3-380UM Processor; 2GB of DDR3 1066MHz RAM (1x2GB, 2 slots)
    320GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM); No optical drive; Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System (64 bit)
    HDMI Port; VGA Port; 3 USB 2.0 Ports; 5-in-1 Card Reader (MMC, MS, MS-Pro, SD, xD); 802.11 b/g/n wireless
    12.1" HD LED Display; Intel GMA HD Graphics; up to 6 hours of battery life
    ASUS 1 Year Warranty and 1 Year Accidental Damage Warranty Included
    Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
    Processor: Intel Core i3
    RAM: 2 GB
    Memory Slots: 2
    Hard Drive
    Size: 320 GB
    Speed: 5400 rpm
    Ports and Connectivity
    USB Ports: 3
    Cases and Expandability
    Size (LWH): 11.8 inches, 8.4 inches, 1 inches
    Weight: 3.3 pounds

Here is the link. Laptop

Thanks. :wavey:

2. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    Well, first off only one ram slot is populated. Purchase a second 2 gig module when you buy it and bring the system up to 4 gigs of ram.
    Second, 12" display is pretty small but then I like my 10" Asus netbook but it isn't a desktop replacement.
    Asus usually makes very good stuff and I like the brand.
    Are you sure you don't want a dvd drive?

You buy a netbook because you are willing to put up with a small screen to gain portability and long battery like. This system is kind of heavy for the size.
    What's the battery life like?

I don't think it's bad but I do think it's kind of a half a** system between and netbook and a laptop.
    And it aint cheap.

3. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Mar 23, 2010
    Texas
    Yeah, was definitely gonna buy some more RAM. I should have given it before. Basically I'm getting this for my last semester of College.
    I've had a netbook in the past but accidently broke the screen about a year ago. I actually like the portability of the netbook but I always had an issue with the processor speed when doing certain things. No gaming or anything, mainly when I would watch YouTube, HULU, Netflix and no real multitasking. I don't mind the small screen, in fact I prefer it. Trying to stay at 12" or less. Also, don't need a CD drive. I have a desktop at the house, just need something to complement it for when I go to the library or people's houses for group projects.
    The other option I've been looking at is HP Pavilion dm1z series
    I just like the fact that there is an, albeit the ULV version, i-3 processor so I can use it past college.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011